Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Coming out of Hootananny last night at 3am, still pinging and eager to carry on the night, I would have given anything to trot down Coldharbour Lane to number 414 to be greeted by the warm smile of the owner dude and walk into the cavern of banging dance music and melting pot of spangled people.

So I finally got to DJ again after 17 months in the wilderness:

In photos: full-on dancefloor as Brixton Buzz returns to the Effra Social

...wrong thread maybe ?

:gal:

A new burger place is definitely needed, especially as the nearest 1 is very far away by Clapham Common station.

This lot are meant to be the biggest rip off merchants going in the burger game.

He's a acquaintance of mine actually and the poor fucker has just been helicopter lifted from ICU in Ibiza to Palma, Majorca. CoVID'd up, in an induced coma, venitlated and fed through a tube :(

Not seen him for years but he's quite a character (in a good way) and it's very sad. That said apparently they are hopeful he's improving
If anyone remembers this post about 'The Secret DJ' he's out of hospital and home in Ibiza, but financially fucked from medical bills and lost previous and near future earnings. Times are hard, but if you are out this week and can have one pint less, please do:

I find the comments underneath these food reviews really weird. Its like Jay Rayner has a legion of fanboys who masturbate over his reviews and jump on you if you dare to criticise anything about them. If ever i add a comment, it is pre moderated and never gets published.

I find it obscene that in one of the most deprived wards in the country it can be seen to be OK to have restaurant with three month booking and apparently reasonable price of over a hundred quid.

There are two Brixton. The one in LJ where I live. And the one in Central Brixton.

This is the anniversary of Brixton Riots. As I've posted previously historically riots in this country have been roughly the have nots resentment boiling over.

As in 2011 riots.

The difference between 80s and now is that the in your face blunt racism is absent.

The Thatcherite they have pulled themselves up dogma is taken as common sense.

My experience of moving up to LJ is that nothing has changed.

What has changed is the normality of inequality.

Its just accepted this is how things are.

Its also regarded as a joke here. Just someone doing well. End of discussion.

TBF I can at moment afford the occasional pizza etc. But a hundred quid? Sorry how is that ok in Brixton?

I find it obscene that in one of the most deprived wards in the country it can be seen to be OK to have restaurant with three month booking and apparently reasonable price of over a hundred quid.
Its basically using the (long standing)family restaurants premises to showcase his chef skills innit? When so may young people from 'normal' backgrounds have their ambitions crushed out of them, its refreshing to see someone whose grown up waiting tables, seemingly without privilege, doing well.

Its basically using the (long standing)family restaurants premises to showcase his chef skills innit? When so may young people from 'normal' backgrounds have their ambitions crushed out of them, its refreshing to see someone whose grown up waiting tables, seemingly without privilege, doing well.

Your buying into the right wing fantasy if that people just tried hard enough they would succeed.

Why do you think that so many young people are crushed?

On this subject.

In Popes Road there is mural of Black working class man who is the road sweeper in the area.

Someone said to me that this is not supporting ambition/aspiration of ethnic minorities.

My answer is that pandemic has shown people doing low paid essential work should be valued. They Imo should not be excluded from fine food. It showcases an essential worker.

Its not crushing ambition. Thats the wrong way to look at this. The problem is how work is valued, how people are crushed by being treated as of low value. Despite fact that pandemic showed the that people who have been undervalued are key workers.

Your buying into the right wing fantasy if that people just tried hard enough they would succeed.

Why do you think that so many young people are crushed?
Loads and loads of social-economic reasons which Im not going to go into in this thread, and I am sure you're well aware of.
I'm absolutely not a 'pull yourself up the bootstraps' Tory and I know fuck all about cooking to know if this kid has got this break through luck, talent, hardwork, whatever but on those very rare occasions a (presumably) working class kid gets a break, be it as a footballer, pop star, or chef - I think is nice to see.
Bailing out now before this veers wildly off topic.

That’s a very cynical 6th form view. One young man achieved - fantastic for him. We all know it doesn’t mean that everyone can.

I think this post shows complete disrespect for a black working class man who is celebrated on a mural.

Whose the We? Who are you talking on behalf of?

Back
Top Bottom