Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I had to go to Abbevilles yesterday and I noticed that King and Co next door is proudly showing a Portobello Breweries illuminated sign.
Their website indicates a large number of pubs in south London are now part of this chain, not just the Effra Social but many more.
Presumably a number are ex-Antic, though Antic is still a large local chain.

Anybody have any observations? The drinks prices at King and co seem high to me - few pints less than a fiver.
Presumably this explains why Portobello have diversified from brewing to pub management?

I had to go to Abbevilles yesterday and I noticed that King and Co next door is proudly showing a Portobello Breweries illuminated sign.
Their website indicates a large number of pubs in south London are now part of this chain, not just the Effra Social but many more.
Presumably a number are ex-Antic, though Antic is still a large local chain.

Anybody have any observations? The drinks prices at King and co seem high to me - few pints less than a fiver.
Presumably this explains why Portobello have diversified from brewing to pub management?

been like this for ages - maybe 18 months

I heard a rumour last night that Pop Brixton are trying to charge people £120 to enter and watch the match.
I think that's wildly unlikely but Brixton's 'green oasis' has certainly pushed out the nationwide PR for promoting it as the go-to boozer.

Oh no, I take that back. What a bunch of fucking rip off merchants

1626011082144.png

And you might get kicked off your table one hour after the final whistle.

I think that's wildly unlikely but Brixton's 'green oasis' has certainly pushed out the nationwide PR for promoting it as the go-to boozer.

Oh no, I take that back. What a bunch of fucking rip off merchants

View attachment 278061

And you might get kicked off your table one hour after the final whistle.
I was hoping it wasn't true, but there you go. That's disgraceful. I'm not sure who is worse, them for charging it, or those who are willing to pay it.

It appears that POW have changed their jazz night to Wednesday's, put it upstairs in the club bit, and brought the closing time forward to midnight.

This is a real shame, and makes me unlikely to go there much again in the future. Having worked there for a bit, i know that all the drinks served in the club and terrace areas are in dirty plastic cups and are more expensive than the pub bit. Its shit as well that it is no longer on a Thursday night, which breaks a bit of a tradition. I expect they will fill the pub on Thursday evenings with more cheese music instead.

Last edited:
It appears that POW have changed their jazz night to Wednesday's, put it upstairs in the club bit, and brought the closing time to midnight.

This is a real shame, and makes me unlikely to go there much in again in the future. Having worked there for a bit, i know that all the drinks served in the club and terrace areas are in dirty plastic cups and are more expensive than the pub bit. Its shit as well that it is no longer on a Thursday night, which breaks a bit of a tradition. I expect they will fill the pub on Thursday evenings with more cheese music instead.
From my experience, local venues are less keen on live bands now and more interested in DJ nights.

These are good people

Haven’t been in since they reopened but the new outdoors space round the side of the church looks nice from the outside...
also fans of vegan nosh might be interested in a new Ethiopian joint a bit further down towards Oval ( speaking of which calling the area Brixton is a bit of a stretch but never mind...😊) I forgot the name of the Ethiopian cafe tho..!

edit....the name of the Ethiopian joint is Rhoda worth a look if you are passing editor , I also noticed the Van Gogh set up is offering free daytime WiFi TIL 5pm....👍

Last edited:
Anyone know what the deal is with Effra Hall Tavern? There were some signs in the window previously but those have gone and not been able to find anything online or on here.

Anyone know what the deal is with Effra Hall Tavern? There were some signs in the window previously but those have gone and not been able to find anything online or on here.
Their website just says "we'll be back soon" and there's nothing on any on their (mainly defunct) social media channels.

I might be walking past tonight - if so, I'll see if I can find out what's going on.

It turned from a cabbie‘s afternoon boozer to a quiz night for Miranda and Barnaby in around 2014. Clientele consist of marketing teams on a jolly (pre-COVID) and the ‘having a pint after a round of golf with the boys‘ crowd.

Back
Top Bottom