Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Can't we do a South London Drinks there?
Inaugurate a new season?
friendofdorothy

I rather not there.

It has no planning permission. This is a KIBA site and change of use has not been obtained.

They do have a license. Local residents, who were happily living next to the KIBA designated business centre were concerned that they wanted to use the courtyard. With all the noise nuisance this would cause them.

Licensing Committee turned down use of courtyard and they have to use CHL entrance only.

The bizarre way Licensing and Planning works is that one can go for drinks license without having planning permission.

Imo the drinks use is not ancillary to business of brewing. Reading the licensing application and this wasn't just a tap room.

KIBA Key Industrial Business Area. KIBA designation was supposed to stop this kind of thing happening.

Last edited:
I rather not there.

It has no planning permission. This is a KIBA site and change of use has not been obtained.

They do have a license. Local residents, who were happily living next to the KIBA designated business centre were concerned that they wanted to use the courtyard. With all the noise nuisance this would cause them.

Licensing Committee turned down use of courtyard and they have to use CHL entrance only.

The bizarre way Licensing and Planning works is that one can go for drinks license without having planning permission.

Imo the drinks use is not ancillary to business of brewing. Reading the licensing application and this wasn't just a tap room.

KIBA Key Industrial Business Area. KIBA designation was supposed to stop this kind of thing happening.
But that's not the brewery's fault. They told me they had a nightmare trying to open the place.

But that's not the brewery's fault. They told me they had a nightmare trying to open the place.

Actually it is. They are a business. Planning regulation in Lambeth Local Plan are consulted on and are their to protect land use.

Its entirely there fault for opening an entertainment venue in place that is designated as KIBA site.

Tbf its clear in local plan its KIBA site. So I do not understand why they feel hard done by when people object. Its not like they were misled or something like that.

And the state of play at moment is that they don't have planning permission for this use.

Last edited:
Actually it is. They are a business. Planning regulation in Lambeth Local Plan are consulted on and are their to protect land use.

Its entirely there fault for opening an entertainment venue in place that is designated as KIBA site.

Tbf its clear in local plan its KIBA site. So I do not understand why they feel hard done by when people object. Its not like they were misled or something like that.

And the state of play at moment is that they don't have planning permission for this use.

I'm really not understanding your beef here. They're not some hotshot Hondo-esque offshoot well versed in bending the rules: they're a small independent business who have long since accepted they can not use the courtyard, although you have to wonder what gave them that impression in the first place.

Surely it's Lambeth fault for letting it happen? And if they don't have planning permission as you say, then again, then why hasn't Lambeth acted?

The Albert might be quiet because folk aren't aware it is open again. Google for example states it is still 'temporarily closed'.

I was in there on Friday night to watch the football, got talking to a few decent enough people.

They have stopped the 2 bottles of Peroni for £5, and other offers though, not entirely unexpected but a shame nonetheless.

It was quiet during the day too. I popped in to leave some leaflets and I think there may have been about 9 people all up.
The Albert might be quiet because folk aren't aware it is open again. Google for example states it is still 'temporarily closed'.

I was in there on Friday night to watch the football, got talking to a few decent enough people.

They have stopped the 2 bottles of Peroni for £5, and other offers though, not entirely unexpected but a shame nonetheless.
Daughter and her mates used The Albert when drinking in Brixton pre latest restrictions but they transferred allegiance to Hootenany when reopening began because of happy hour and outdoor space....

So, the 'Pressure Drop Cafe and Bar' and 'Brixton Art Club' are opening in a shop unit in CHL by the Dogstar tomorrow. Anyone know anything? I've written to them asking for info but there's no website....

So, the 'Pressure Drop Cafe and Bar' and 'Brixton Art Club' are opening in a shop unit in CHL by the Dogstar tomorrow. Anyone know anything? I've written to them asking for info but there's no website....

Pressure Drop is a brewery in Tottenham Hale. May not be the same outfit tho

I'm really not understanding your beef here. They're not some hotshot Hondo-esque offshoot well versed in bending the rules: they're a small independent business who have long since accepted they can not use the courtyard, although you have to wonder what gave them that impression in the first place.

Surely it's Lambeth fault for letting it happen? And if they don't have planning permission as you say, then again, then why hasn't Lambeth acted?

They tried very hard to get use of courtyard. Local residents asked for advice on this. In end due to time and effort they went to oppose it the Licensing Committee turned down use of courtyard.

This is private building not owned by Council. So they have no control on who its rented to. I would have thought if ones business is entertainment and drinking then one would check use class of premises before renting.

Licensing and planning legally are separate issues.

The Council won't act unless a planning enforcement enquiry is instigated by public. Any action takes a long time. Councils simply don't have resources to deal with these issues.

I criticise the Council for a lot. But in this case its nothing to do with them.

I don't have a "beef" with this particular business. I do have beef with any business that tries to undermine an important LJ Key Industrial Business Area.

Planning and Licensing are limited area that residents can have a say on how neighbourhoods are used. To object through proper channels isn't about having a beef with a particular business.

What I don't want to see in LJ is the further gradual erosion of it as a semi industrial area. Turning into what's happened to Brixton.

Last edited:
What I don't want to see in LJ is the further gradual erosion of it as a semi industrial area. Turning into what's happened to Brixton.
Me neither, but I suspect it is inevitable - just like what happened to the strip outside the Barrier Block.

Me neither, but I suspect it is inevitable - just like what happened to the strip outside the Barrier Block.
The Taproom seems to be in or next to the Shakespeare Road Business Centre. The KIBA is described on page 92 of this council PDF: https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/KIBA Review 2017.pdf

How does the Taproom's tenancy work? Have they rented a unit in the Business Centre? Did the Centre owners consult with their other tenants about this? Perhaps the people who work in the centre would enjoy having a drinks venue there. Business centres can be very soulless places, where you never get to meet the other tenants. I've worked in a couple. They would have benefited hugely from a bar or cafe or something. Some of the other Shakepeare tenants will be tiny 1 or 2 person operations....they might love to have a social side to their working day. So the Taproom might make the Centre more appealing to new tenants. If so, I would think it would help the KIBA to fulfil its purpose.

The Taproom seems to be in or next to the Shakespeare Road Business Centre. The KIBA is described on page 92 of this council PDF: https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/KIBA Review 2017.pdf

How does the Taproom's tenancy work? Have they rented a unit in the Business Centre? Did the Centre owners consult with their other tenants about this? Perhaps the people who work in the centre would enjoy having a drinks venue there. Business centres can be very soulless places, where you never get to meet the other tenants. I've worked in a couple. They would have benefited hugely from a bar or cafe or something. Some of the other Shakepeare tenants will be tiny 1 or 2 person operations....they might love to have a social side to their working day. So the Taproom might make the Centre more appealing to new tenants. If so, I would think it would help the KIBA to fulfil its purpose.
I recorded two albums right next to where the brewery is now and have to admit that it would have been handy to have some decent beer on tap. There's now a trendy coffee place there too.

I've finally worked out that Coldharbour Works is just the new name for the Shakespeare Business Centre! It had a very expensive refit and a rebrand. So anything which can make it more appealing to small business owners has got to be good. The building is protected because it's listed and it's in a KIBA, but if it can't make a profit there will be inevitable pressure from developers to turn it into something else. I had a couple of meetings in the centre years ago, and it was so gloomy and miserable...like a Victorian prison or something. I reckon the Taproom could be a great way to cheer it up. I just hope that the rent for the units hasn't gone up too much for local entrepreneurs.

Yes, great for skint students and it means I don’t have to keep telling her off for going in ‘spoons.

I would have thought that since Covid virtually every pub apart from Spoons has priced students away from going in them again. For arguments sake lets say The Albert is the cheapest pub in Brixton, i remember as a student there would be no way i could even semi regularly afford the £4.20 pint of Amstel (cheapest lager) they charge.

I would have thought that since Covid virtually every pub apart from Spoons has priced students away from going in them again. For arguments sake lets say The Albert is the cheapest pub in Brixton, i remember as a student there would be no way i could even semi regularly afford the £4.20 pint of Amstel (cheapest lager) they charge.
Yeah..I guess that would depend on what you mean by semi regular, and how much you put away each time you go to the pub, bear in mind these 18/19 year olds have spent about 6/8 months of the last year locked down and a restricted in how they can meet up and where so I’m not surprised they will find a pub with a happy hour for a some social life especially when parks are often cold dark and wet.

Last edited:
Yeah..I guess that would depend on what you mean by semi regular, and how much you put away each time you go to the pub, bear in mind these 18/19 year olds have spent about 6/8 months of the last year locked down and a restricted in how they can meet up and where so I’m not surprised they will find a pub with a happy hour for a some social life especially when parks are often cold dark and wet.
I really feel sorry for the students of these covid times, they've been cheated out of their golden student days, for which no one is to blame. I'm glad Hootanannys is able to offer them respite. At the same time, I wouldn't blame them for cramming into spoons, I remember every last penny being vital!

They have opened up an entrance for tap room bar customers in Coldharbour Lane - complete with SIA security guard.

As an aside I worked on the first floor in that building for Lambeth MIND in 1989. MIND paid a thousand a year for renting one large room - enough space for four staff.
There was no heating provided, so tenants generally had weekly deliveries of Calor gas cylinders from Sanders Calor gas in Landor Road - for their butane gas fires.
Must have been a death trap - by modern standards. Those were the days - people don't know the squalor we put up with.

I went to an LJAG committee meeting in there in 2014 and was amazed. The place is now quite chi chi.

I've finally worked out that Coldharbour Works is just the new name for the Shakespeare Business Centre! It had a very expensive refit and a rebrand. So anything which can make it more appealing to small business owners has got to be good. The building is protected because it's listed and it's in a KIBA, but if it can't make a profit there will be inevitable pressure from developers to turn it into something else. I had a couple of meetings in the centre years ago, and it was so gloomy and miserable...like a Victorian prison or something. I reckon the Taproom could be a great way to cheer it up. I just hope that the rent for the units hasn't gone up too much for local entrepreneurs.

So your saying planning policy should be decided in the interests of developers.

Exactly what I don't want. Planning is boring subject. But its one way in a democracy that ordinary people can have at least some say in what happens. Instead of it all being in the interests of property developers.

Last night:

In photos: live Irish folk music at the Whiskey Tumbler, Brixton

Back
Top Bottom