Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

• I'm not sure what relevance the cost of the video, using a PR company or being backed by Heineken has? We're supporting a local cause, what's not to like unless you're constructing a straw man argument?
  • you claim we haven't raised lots of money for local causes over the years without shouting about it, we have many times.
  • we always give away every penny of monies raised(and more) when we produce a beer like this.
  • we believe actors should be paid.
  • you didn't make a video but did should about it.
  • We don't know how much has been raised yet as we haven't finished selling the beer. How much did you raise?

Wow. You really want to go with this? OK:

I'm utterly fed up with being sent expensive PR campaigns from loaded multinational companies making a huge fuss over their charitable donations which often add up to a microscopic proportion of their profits.

Call me cynical if you like, but sometimes it appears that the main motivation may be more about making themselves look good and promoting brand awareness, and for that reason they're happy to throw disproportionate amounts of money behind their PR ventures.

And the bigger the brand - and the more millions/billions they have - the more scrutiny they deserve. You agree, yes?

So in that context, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for you be transparent and honest about the cost of this PR endeavour, with its slick video and paid actors. So how much did it cost?

FYI, I made no mention of your previous charity beers - and well done for doing that in the past - but things have very much changed. You're now a company trading and profiting from your Brixton connections, while being wholly owned by a multinational with a market value of $27.3 billion. You're no longer a plucky independent brewery but part of a vast global, money making machine, and I think it's absolutely right that people should ask questions.

As for our beers, there's a VERY big difference: it wasn't presented as a loss leader from a large range of profitable products. It was our sole source of income and we gave it all away., mainly to the Soup Kitchen.

More recently we've given away around £5,000 from our Bowie nights, without ever hiring in PR companies to tell everyone how great we are, and we also raised a decent sum for the Cressingham Gardens campaigners.

Wow. You really want to go with this? OK:

I'm utterly fed up with being sent expensive PR campaigns from loaded multinational companies making a huge fuss over their charitable donations which often add up to a microscopic proportion of their profits.

Call me cynical if you like, but sometimes it appears that the main motivation may be more about making themselves look good and promoting brand awareness, and for that reason they're happy to throw disproportionate amounts of money behind their PR ventures.

And the bigger the brand - and the more millions/billions they have - the more scrutiny they deserve. You agree, yes?

So in that context, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for you be transparent and honest about the cost of this PR endeavour, with its slick video and paid actors. So how much did it cost?

FYI, I made no mention of your previous charity beers - and well done for doing that in the past - but things have very much changed. You're now a company trading and profiting from your Brixton connections, while being wholly owned by a multinational with a market value of $27.3 billion. You're no longer a plucky independent brewery but part of a vast global, money making machine, and I think it's absolutely right that people should ask questions.

As for our beers, there's a VERY big difference: it wasn't presented as a loss leader from a large range of profitable products. It was our sole source of income and we gave it all away., mainly to the Soup Kitchen.

More recently we've given away around £5,000 from our Bowie nights, without ever hiring in PR companies to tell everyone how great we are, and we also raised a decent sum for the Cressingham Gardens campaigners.

Whilst I agree with some of your points I do think you're using Heineken as a way to bash us which doesn't feel right or fair. Our intentions are always good hence I am defending them again. I don't think independence or lack of is an excuse for this.

We do send Buzz our press releases as we thought you guys would be interested from a local perspective, happy to stop if it makes you fed up.

Maybe we can discuss this more over a (charity) beer?

Whilst I agree with some of your points I do think you're using Heineken as a way to bash us which doesn't feel right or fair. Our intentions are always good hence I am defending them again. I don't think independence or lack of is an excuse for this.

We do send Buzz our press releases as we thought you guys would be interested from a local perspective, happy to stop if it makes you fed up.

Maybe we can discuss this more over a (charity) beer?

You can't have it both ways - you can't become part of Heineken's multi-billion empire and still expect to be treated like a plucky independent.

You're now enjoying the vast benefits of being backed by a powerful owner, so you can expect far greater scrutiny from the local media, particularly ones who truly value the independent ethos.

I'm happy to have a beer anytime but I would like you to answer the questions here because I'm not the only who was a bit cynical about this PR campaign.

And of course I'm happy to be sent future press releases - as you know we covered this story on Buzz and many before - although they don't actually come from you any more, they come from an expensive PR agency.

You can't have it both ways - you can't become part of Heineken's multi-billion empire and still expect to be treated like a plucky independent.

You're now enjoying the vast benefits of being backed by a powerful owner, so you can expect far greater scrutiny from the local media, particularly ones who truly value the independent ethos.

I'm happy to have a beer anytime but I would like you to answer the questions here because I'm not the only who was a bit cynical about this PR campaign.

And of course I'm happy to be sent future press releases - as you know we covered this story on Buzz and many before - although they don't actually come from you any more, they come from an expensive PR agency.
Ed, you're coming across very snippy.

I don't see why they can't have it both ways. They did well for themselves and managed to get the backing of a big company, good for them - that doesn't mean that they can't represent Brixton on a local level.

I'm not asking to be treated as a plucky independent, just fairly, in other words judge us on our own merits. We are good people and the PR campaign reflects this by shining a light on a local issue and raising funds to support it.

RE. your question about the cost, I don't know the total amount as it is one of the benefits we get from the Heineken ownership. Of course it is also designed to raise awareness of our brand and business values which we hold dear.

Speaking of plucky independents who also have a business in Brixton, have you seen this open letter?

Lets grab that beer soon.

Walked past this the other day and was intrigued. I do wince when a Guinness is over a fiver though. Youd hope Irish bars and pubs would subsidise the Guinness by making the 'craft beer' nonsense a bit more pricey

Happened to notice they were open when I walked past last Saturday, but I didn't go in. Think it's takeaway only - no seating.

I went to their Hackney branch ages ago and the food was.. pretty gross, to be honest. The fried outer part got very easily got separated from the seitan, leaving you with an unappetising pair of disparate elements.

That said, going to give the Brixton branch a go tonight!

It's like an old school party night summer special in Brixton right now. And if you're thinking of going to Hootannny, expect a loooong wait

IMG_20210612_224648_957.jpg

It's like an old school party night summer special in Brixton right now. And if you're thinking of going to Hootannny, expect a loooong wait

View attachment 273161
I had a great late afternoon/early evening in the garden yesterday. Sunshine, friendly people, cheap as you like happy hour beers and a talented DJ playing tunes. Easily the best pub in Brixton at the moment.

I'm a little out of practice. Anyone have a good suggestion for local tasty Friday lunch locations, eating outside?

Radio 4 "you and yours" now. 17/6 12.45)
Mark Buttery (?) a neighbour of a pub, complaining of noise levels from next door pub - especially following the outdoor relaxation of rules for pubs and the football last Sunday. He has been complaining about it for 4 years apparently

Not sure which Pub

Don't know if he was there before the pub opened, or vice versa.

People may have views and differing degrees of sympathy

Guy sounds like a selfish prick, who moved beside a pub and has now decided he doesn't like it and wants to ruin a business and hundred's of peoples fun.

Shame we dont know his address!

Here is a list of his emails

I would think that, considering he bought his house now 12 years ago, maybe if the pub is making him so unhappy, he could sell up with the huge increase in value of the property over that time and buy another house in a more peaceful location?
Irony is he'll probably have to decare the noise complaints of/when he decides to sell. Nice problem to have.

I only read the first email in the list and don't think he sounds unreasonable. Especially bearing in mind that the chain owning corporate which has owned it since about 2013 had to massively outbid the incumbent long-term landlords to buy the pub from the bank. They intentionally over paid and then more or less argued that it wasn't financially viable unless they could run it like a venue, rather than a regular local. This is clearly a nonsense.

I used to regularly drink there in the late nineties and early noughties. Yes it got busy from time to time but it was still very much a local. It was an entirely different creature last time I went and seemed wholly incongruous.

Finally section 131, argues that a lower capacity will force the pub to close. Let me be absolutely clear, it is
not my intention for this to happen. I knew my house was located next to a pub when I bought it 10 years
ago, however over the last 5 years the pub has completely changed. It is no longer a quiet local residential
pub, and has turned into super pub aiming to attract 1000 people to a residential area. All I would say is that
I wish the numbers to be reduced to what should be expected and in line for residential area. Much reference
is made to how long the pub has been in existence and i would therefore challenge how is it that the pub has
managed to survive for this many years when only in the last 4 or 5 years the numbers have increased so
dramatically. It must have been a viable business previously.

He makes the odd fair point, but in general comes across as a Victor Meldrew snooping around taking photos and video footage to get his own way. He took advantage of the changing nature of the area (pubs included) by choosing to live here, and now despite the cost of his property probably doubling in value, he has now decided the area is changing too much for his liking. You can see he gets vindictive by bringing us aspects like drunk people leaving and pissing in the street, not pleasant by any means, but people will do that whether there are lots of people outside in the garden disturbing his peace or not, which he is adamant is his only real grievance. He seems to chuck as much mud as possible and hoping some will stick, see also the bullshit about fire safety.

I have no real affection for the DOE, as living about a 3 minute walk away i am regularly turned away as it is 'fully booked', but i cant take this guy's side in any way. He might consider instead of creepily filming people having a drink from his garden, possibly striking a deal with the pub where he gets heavily reduced pints every time he visits- he might even make some new friends!

Back
Top Bottom