Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I think I should include them too - what others are there?

Canopy
London Beer Lab
Corporate Brixton Brewery
Taproom Village

Went to London beer lab yesterday - they had 24 beers on draft ( all keg), and said they wanted to be using all 30 taps by the end of lockdown.

That has to be the biggest range of draft beer in Brixton, it’s probably the cheapest place to drink craft beer in Brixton too.

Last edited:
Anyone been to the Black Bar at 17A Electric Lane? It's iconic. apparently.

This iconic bar, situated in the heart of Brixton is the perfect venue for a private or public event. This all black and dark wood interior space holds up to 60 people standing or 30 people sitting with excellent acoustics, desks, chairs and other furniture to play around with.

But who can resist "Crypto & Cocktails" ?

Managed to get in at the Effra Social for the first time since re-opening. It is definitely a lot nicer than before. But whoever installed the new seating seems to have got their measurements a bit wrong - the comfy bench seating has you towering over your companion(s) in the standalone seats. The food is.. okay. Again, definitely an improvement from a burger in a styrofoam box and some nachos from Sainsbury's. But the roast potatoes were large and undercooked - had to leave most of them on my plate.

Managed to get in at the Effra Social for the first time since re-opening. It is definitely a lot nicer than before. But whoever installed the new seating seems to have got their measurements a bit wrong - the comfy bench seating has you towering over your companion(s) in the standalone seats. The food is.. okay. Again, definitely an improvement from a burger in a styrofoam box and some nachos from Sainsbury's. But the roast potatoes were large and undercooked - had to leave most of them on my plate.

I went to Knowles just after Portobello had taken over and the food was expensive and poor. But, i put that down to teething problems.

I managed to get into Hootanannys easily on Friday night, i realise that this will be a moot point by this time next week but if you go much later i suppose most people have got too cold and left.

I went to Knowles just after Portobello had taken over and the food was expensive and poor. But, i put that down to teething problems.

I managed to get into Hootanannys easily on Friday night, i realise that this will be a moot point by this time next week but if you go much later i suppose most people have got too cold and left.
I'm trying Knowles on Friday. I hope the food has improved! I'll report back!

I'm trying Knowles on Friday. I hope the food has improved! I'll report back!
I enjoyed it for a drink but rarely eat out in pubs. My friend had the burger and chips at the Effra Social and said he enjoyed it and we shared some battered halloumi finger things which were pretty tasty (but then it's hard to mess up halloumi!)

I enjoyed it for a drink but rarely eat out in pubs. My friend had the burger and chips at the Effra Social and said he enjoyed it and we shared some battered halloumi finger things which were pretty tasty (but then it's hard to mess up halloumi!)
I've been somewhat disappointed with the food I've had out so far - either it's got worse, or Mr Sparkybird's now done so much cooking at home that it's better than eating out!

How I miss the old A&C deli.

This 'charcuterie' is opening up where Cornercopia used to be in the Village. Anyone know who's behind it?

1620766169900.png

I miss the deli and I really liked Cornercopia when it was a restaurant. Brixton Village Phase 1 and no need to make a Londonwide mini-chain out of it.

I really miss the wonderful soup they used to do at lunchtime for £3. Still Rancho de Lalo still does incredible fish chowder on a Friday and it's only £4.50

Cornercopia was great back in the day.

We tried the new pizza place in BV last week and thought it pretty good. Not as good as Pizza Brixton but better than Franco Manca and Agile Rabbit.

That's taking the piss a bit. Mind you, there's oceans of space compared to the tight squeeze outside Brewdog.
True enough - but that whole stretch of CHL is a bit nuts. I've never understood how Satay Bar have managed to turn the pedestrian walkway into a permanent terrace. It was kept open until a few years ago. The footway there is the very narrowest part on the street.

I miss the deli and I really liked Cornercopia when it was a restaurant. Brixton Village Phase 1 and no need to make a Londonwide mini-chain out of it.

Article about them here:

Had a little gawp through the open door of the 414 earlier, not too much to see apart from old reminders of the club like the logo painted on the pillars and the marks left by the cds stuck to the wall. Didn't Hondo send in their mob immediately after eviction to rip out the old staircase etc?

I noticed lights and activity in most of the currently closed pubs in advance of the change of rules this Monday- although no sign of life at The Albert:hmm:

Attachments

• 20210513_140653.jpg
    20210513_140653.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 7
Had a little gawp through the open door of the 414 earlier, not too much to see apart from old reminders of the club like the logo painted on the pillars and the marks left by the cds stuck to the wall. Didn't Hondo send in their mob immediately after eviction to rip out the old staircase etc?

I noticed lights and activity in most of the currently closed pubs in advance of the change of rules this Monday- although no sign of life at The Albert:hmm:
They're not opening till June :(

Got the niece visiting next Tuesday (hooray!) Best place to take her out to lunch in central Brixton at the moment? Assume we'd need to pre-book?

Got the niece visiting next Tuesday (hooray!) Best place to take her out to lunch in central Brixton at the moment? Assume we'd need to pre-book?
I think you'd be OK in the Villaaaage on a Tuesday. I went on a Friday 4 weeks back. Fish Wings and Tings had space and was yummy

Knowles of Norwood currently our top 5 (of 5) Friday lunch. Amazing food, really flavourful, friendly service and cute garden at the back. And the cheapest of the bunch so far. Highly recommended for a treat. The apple and rubarb crumble could have fed 4! (Obvs managed to finish it.....)

Back
Top Bottom