Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I've never particularly liked the place.

...it was ok for a cheeky half outdoors on the long walk back from Tesco.
other times I found it a bit jippy and full of over excitable types, maybe ’the secret dj’ was one of them... 😉

Last edited:
...it was ok for a cheeky half outdoors on the long walk back from Tesco.
other times I found it a bit jippy and full of over excitable types, maybe ’the secret dj’ was one of them... 😉
Who was the 'secret DJ'? Do they even have DJs in there?

No it isn't.
Stalky - lol. Don't flatter yourself.
Seeing as you are neither a friend or an acquaintance, I'd be grateful if you didn't post up details of my whereabouts and who I'm with in a thread that is supposed to be about Brixton news. And yes I do think it is weird behaviour.

Has the Trinity always been a Youngs? Because for well over a decade now Youngs have purposefully moulded their pubs into more like overpriced restaurants with a bar. Almost all of their pubs are eye wateringly expensive and fucking boring.
Beer isn’t great and pubs have got worse I agree.

Have drinks in the Trinity for 25 years off and on. Nice location but as always a bit rah (cricket types originally).

Beer isn’t great and pubs have got worse I agree.

Have drinks in the Trinity for 25 years off and on. Nice location but as always a bit rah (cricket types originally).
They also treat their staff like shit, not unheard of in the industry, but when they are pumping out pints at £6.50 a pop and a burger and chips for £14, you'd tentatively expect they have enough funds to pay hard working staff at least the London living wage.

it might not be any more?

What will be left? They sold their brewing buisness to Charles Wells of Bedford - and it appears Wells then sold it on to Carlsberg-Marstons know in Bedford as the Eagle Brewery. If they sell off the pubs they will essentially have just a bank account in Jersey.

PS I knew a well-respected community worker who got barred from the Trinity for declining to vacate the garden drinking area at precisely eight o'clock.

I was in the Albert the other day and a young chap who had just bought a pint of one of the fancy craft beers was incredulous towards the barman that it had only cost £5. He said where he normally drinks it costs him £6.20. Unfortunately the pub being as empty as it was on a Tuesday evening, they'd probably do better pumping out those pints at £6.20 to people in their 20's who don't mind paying it.

Who was the 'secret DJ'? Do they even have DJs in there?
He's a acquaintance of mine actually and the poor fucker has just been helicopter lifted from ICU in Ibiza to Palma, Majorca. CoVID'd up, in an induced coma, venitlated and fed through a tube :(

Not seen him for years but he's quite a character (in a good way) and it's very sad. That said apparently they are hopeful he's improving

Last edited:
He's a acquaintance of mine actually and the poor fucker has just been helicopter lifted from ICU in Ibiza to Palma, Majorca. CoVID'd up, in an induced coma, venitlated and fed through a tub :(

Not seen him for years but he's quite a character (in a good way) and it's very sad. That said apparently they are hopeful he's improving
Damn. Sorry to hear that.

Their website just says "we'll be back soon" and there's nothing on any on their (mainly defunct) social media channels.

I might be walking past tonight - if so, I'll see if I can find out what's going on.

Is the Effra open? I was going to pop down this evening for jazz.

Brixton on a Thursday night. The Duke was uncomfortably packed

In photos: a busy Thursday night in post-lockdown Brixton

Did you try to take your drink outside into the garden at The Duke? I had the tenacity to do that a couple of times last Saturday (early afternoon) and within seconds staff had snatched my pint from me and unceremoniously dumped it into a plastic cup.

Did you try to take your drink outside into the garden at The Duke? I had the tenacity to do that a couple of times last Saturday (early afternoon) and within seconds staff had snatched my pint from me and unceremoniously dumped it into a plastic cup.
I arrived about 8.30, ordered at the bar and drinks were only being sold in crappy plastic glasses.
It was incredibly packed inside once the garden closed.

I arrived about 8.30, ordered at the bar and drinks were only being sold in crappy plastic glasses.
It was incredibly packed inside one the garden closed.
Its annoying being treated like a child who cannot be trusted to hold a glass properly. And when you are paying almost £6 a pint, i think the least you deserve is an actual glass to drink from. Cant be great for the environment either, at least Hootananny have got reusable, sturdy festival type cups for later in the night when they run out of clean glasses.

Went to Baz and Fred pizza place in Village yesterday afternoon. It was not busy was main reason to choose it.

Both of us thought it was good pizza. Partner had vegan pizza and I had the goats cheese one.

Worth a look.

IMG_20210731_155939.jpg

Back
Top Bottom