Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

So former Conservative Party candidate Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones MBE, aka the the Black Farmer, has somehow bagsied himself a vast amount of space (5,000 square feet) in Market Row.

1694547027974.png

Not sure what is meant by non-silly, but maremma and il maremmano (not worked out if they are connected) are both good on water lane and botton of Tulse Hill
Yes they are and this is a good call.

Also:

Naughty Piglets (terrible name but good food/wine).
Bottle and Rye (similar to NP but better space).
Temaki (if you like eating sushi at a counter).
Llewelyns (Herne Hill)

Yes they are and this is a good call.

Also:

Naughty Piglets (terrible name but good food/wine).
Bottle and Rye (similar to NP but better space).
Temaki (if you like eating sushi at a counter).
Llewelyns (Herne Hill)
I can never set foot in the Naughty Piglets because of that fucking awful posh twat name and Bottle & Rye seems more about drinking when I go past. Not cheap either.

I'd recommend the Lounge but then I don't like snooty/trendy places.

That space that's been taken by The Black Farmer... is that what was Nour before?

Did it have that big glass roof all the time, hidden above a false ceiling? Or did I just never notice it?

That space that's been taken by The Black Farmer... is that what was Nour before?

Did it have that big glass roof all the time, hidden above a false ceiling? Or did I just never notice it?
Most of the structures was always there. There was a mezzanine floor that Nour used for mainly storage. The spiral staircase was never in use. The glass roof was never obvious.

Finch, the upmarket booze outlet opening up in Brixton Village is now declaring itself a 'community wine bar.'

I've asked them to you explain what that means and how it's any different from a regular wine bar.

PXL_20230919_163245703.jpg

Commercial businesses - particularly divisive, upmarket ones - rocking up and claiming 'community' credentials is something that really fucks me off.

Unless this bunch are donating a large chunk of their profits or doing something that's actually beneficial and meaningful to the local community and it's not just some piss weak PR, I'm going to roast the fuck out of them, and their pocket-size cabinet of curiosities.

maybe they mean the community of gentrifiers?

it is all a bit left to interpretation to be honest
I think the use of the word is understood by most people and they'd know what to expect from a community cafe, hall or space - i.e. something that is affordable and accessible to the community, most likely run or managed by some of that community and - crucially - run for the benefit of that community.

This is from the same bullshit playbook as Lost in Brixton in the village which claimed to be a "community-focused destination," except you have your bag searched before you go in, with your own food and drink confiscated by security.

Confirmed. Total bullshit:

We will be hosting community events in our small bar throughout the year, we are also working with a local organisation who supports local people to get into work and we will be mentoring some of these to get into the world of hospitality. We are also working with local groups to design our under table artwork which will allow locals to be paid to create art that will be displayed throughout the year.

Back
Top Bottom