Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

What is the approved price for a hand made sourdough loaf at a small retailer in Brixton ?
I don't know and I don't care. Frankly, I'm fed up with unaffordable, trendy, crowd-funded shit opening up.
If £6 for a loaf of bread sounds nice and reasonable to you, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Given that I can make a lovingly handcrafted loaf at home for around 50p and don't have a lot of disposable income, I have very little patience with anyone claiming that upwards of £4 for a loaf of bread is reasonable.

I’ve seen bread which costs more than 6 pounds, you can’t really say if it’s a rip off without knowing what it costs to make and what other places charge.

What is the approved price for a hand made sourdough loaf at a small retailer in Brixton ?

( blackbird bakery make their bread for their 12 branches on an industrial estate in Norwood )
Well the ingredients are incredibly cheap. And she was doing it at home so very low costs.

I want to support independents but it is hard. A coffee and a little cake cost me over £6 the other day. Just can't afford that regularly.

I've always thought of sourdough bread as one of the more inflation-resilient grocery items. 15 years ago when Franco Manca was still independent the loaves made with their leftover dough were £4.50 at their Wild Caper deli just across Market Row. And a plain sourdough loaf has been about a fiver at every farmers' market I've visited for a long long time. Maya's charges £4.50 for a plain loaf - in the same ballpark as Blackbird and Gail's, which are both chains with big off-site factory bakeries. It's not an everyday product, and comparisons with low-cost supermarkets or home baking are a bit apples and oranges in my view.

The economics of a single-site independent must be punishing. I guess the profits come from the fancier loaves and the higher volume coffee and cake trade - which are on a par with local coffee shop prices. None of it is cheap in absolute terms of course. But neither is a beer in a pub, or anything else inessential and arbitrary that we like carping about on these boards.

I also think crowdfunding gets a bad rap when it's a catch-all term for so many things. A local business that is trying to raise capital for equipment by giving people credit they can exchange for products later is not the same as someone asking for donations or promising equity from theoretical future earnings.

I've tried Maya's bread. It's very nice, but I won't be going there any more than occasionally. She's a local woman doing something she loves and doing it well in an awful economic climate. I find it hard to hate her for it.

I've always thought of sourdough bread as one of the more inflation-resilient grocery items. 15 years ago when Franco Manca was still independent the loaves made with their leftover dough were £4.50 at their Wild Caper deli just across Market Row. And a plain sourdough loaf has been about a fiver at every farmers' market I've visited for a long long time. Maya's charges £4.50 for a plain loaf - in the same ballpark as Blackbird and Gail's, which are both chains with big off-site factory bakeries. It's not an everyday product, and comparisons with low-cost supermarkets or home baking are a bit apples and oranges in my view.

The economics of a single-site independent must be punishing. I guess the profits come from the fancier loaves and the higher volume coffee and cake trade - which are on a par with local coffee shop prices. None of it is cheap in absolute terms of course. But neither is a beer in a pub, or anything else inessential and arbitrary that we like carping about on these boards.

I also think crowdfunding gets a bad rap when it's a catch-all term for so many things. A local business that is trying to raise capital for equipment by giving people credit they can exchange for products later is not the same as someone asking for donations or promising equity from theoretical future earnings.

I've tried Maya's bread. It's very nice, but I won't be going there any more than occasionally. She's a local woman doing something she loves and doing it well in an awful economic climate. I find it hard to hate her for it.
Hate? Who is hating? Lots shocked at the ridiculous pricing but non hate.

Hate? Who is hating? Lots shocked at the ridiculous pricing but non hate.
That's debatable. There's a good bit of outrage in this thread for sure.

My point is that the prices look to be comparable with similar handmade products from other local outlets. Whether that's ridiculous is subjective. Bread-making in the UK has become so industrialised that a daily staple is now classed as an unhealthy Ultra-Processed Food. We have the cheapest bread in Western Europe - but 95% of it is crap.

Just across the channel France retains a much larger traditional bakery sector than the UK, and standard loaf is €3.50-€4 in any village boulangerie. There was lots of coverage this year about the death of the €1 baguette due to inflation. A baguette is 200-250g - so €3.20-€4 when pro rated to the size of a family loaf.

Given that I can make a lovingly handcrafted loaf at home for around 50p and don't have a lot of disposable income, I have very little patience with anyone claiming that upwards of £4 for a loaf of bread is reasonable.

Have you ever considered selling them?

That's debatable. There's a good bit of outrage in this thread for sure.

My point is that the prices look to be comparable with similar handmade products from other local outlets. Whether that's ridiculous is subjective. Bread-making in the UK has become so industrialised that a daily staple is now classed as an unhealthy Ultra-Processed Food. We have the cheapest bread in Western Europe - but 95% of it is crap.

Just across the channel France retains a much larger traditional bakery sector than the UK, and standard loaf is €3.50-€4 in any village boulangerie. There was lots of coverage this year about the death of the €1 baguette due to inflation. A baguette is 200-250g - so €3.20-€4 when pro rated to the size of a family loaf.
I don't see anyone 'outraged.' I just see people - like myself - questioning why a load of bread should costs £6 and mulling over the ethics of asking people to fund a business that is totally unaffordable to a large part of the community,

95 percent of bread is crap? How do you work that out?
80% is made using the Chorleywood Bread Process, 15% with the US Activated Dough Development process. Low quality flour, high yeast content, hard fats, enzymes, flour improvers, etc. All designed for long shelf-life, high volume and short production times. Am not an authority on this by any means - this is stuff from a nutritionist investigating a family medical issue.

80% is made using the Chorleywood Bread Process, 15% with the US Activated Dough Development process. Low quality flour, high yeast content, hard fats, enzymes, flour improvers, etc. All designed for long shelf-life, high volume and short production times. Am not an authority on this by any means - this is stuff from a nutritionist investigating a family medical issue.
It's still not 'crap' though, is it? Unless you're going to get all snobby about what people choose to eat.

And what's your point anyway?

It's still not 'crap' though, is it? Unless you're going to get all snobby about what people choose to eat.

And what's your point anyway?
I think ultra-processed food is crap. But it still makes up a big chunk of my diet because I live in an industrialised country and can't afford to do otherwise or it isn't practical to avoid it. And lots of it is quick and tasty too. That's not snobbery. Each to their own.

But I do find conversations that compare the most expensive thing in a category with the lowest priced thing available at another kind of retailer a bit meaningless. Like for like, this new place seems to be comparable.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about your short attention span. The summary is you're wrong and it can't.
Hmm. Who's right here. You or the NHS?
Bread, especially wholemeal, granary, brown and seeded varieties, is a healthy choice to eat as part of a balanced diet. Wholegrain, wholemeal and brown breads give us energy and contain B vitamins, vitamin E, fibre and a wide range of minerals.

White bread also contains a range of vitamins and minerals, but it has less fibre than wholegrain, wholemeal or brown bread. If you prefer white bread, look for higher-fibre options.

QED. HTH. HAND.

Reactions: CH1
Making it affordable for millions. Enough people in the UK are skint. They can’t and won’t spend upwards of four quid on a loaf.

But I do find conversations that compare the most expensive thing in a category with the lowest priced thing available at another kind of retailer a bit meaningless. Like for like, this new place seems to be comparable.

Some people are easily offended I guess, she’s employing people making something it looks like people want to buy, she’s hardly brewdog.

Alex

Decent multigrain loaf in Lidl acre lane; less than a quid. Still a 60p loaf (white or brown) avail too.
I dont go in Lidl much these days (far prefer Aldi), but they seem to have a hefty bakery section, do they not do their own version of this expensive bread, but just at a much more reasonable price?

I dont go in Lidl much these days (far prefer Aldi), but they seem to have a hefty bakery section, do they not do their own version of this expensive bread, but just at a much more reasonable price?
They have loads of different whole uncut loaves including sourdough. Most expensive is less than two quid.

I love bread and her bread does look really good. But I think she won't make it, it's too expensive, I have only looked at it not actually bought it. You have to have a lot of people who are willing to buy a £6 loaf of bread every week to manage the overheads that come with a shop.

Making it affordable for millions. Enough people in the UK are skint. They can’t and won’t spend upwards of four quid on a loaf.
I agree with you. We've wound up with a society where getting calories from processed foods is a cheaper way of staying alive than buying basic fresh produce. The whole system is screwed.

I love bread and her bread does look really good. But I think she won't make it, it's too expensive, I have only looked at it not actually bought it. You have to have a lot of people who are willing to buy a £6 loaf of bread every week to manage the overheads that come with a shop.

Aries on acre lane sells out of bread every day ( and also sells a lot of beautiful 5 pound pastries ), I don’t think these people are ever going to make millions but it seems they are doing something they love selling something people are prepared to buy.

I say fair play to them, they aren’t hurting anyone they are employing people and hopefully enjoying themselves

However when “big sourdough” closes down Lidl, and forces everyone to buy 20 pound loaves, I’ll be the first on the barricades.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom