Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

What, no meat whatsoever on the menu anymore? Thank fuck for The Queen of the South, then...
So you've decided that without even trying a single item off the menu?

Thank fuck some pubs are trying to do something about the climate crisis.

What, no meat whatsoever on the menu anymore? Thank fuck for The Queen of the South, then...
The food in The Railway was shit anyway. If i was on my way there and was hungry i would nip into see Carlos next door and get a grilled sandwich, or Castelo if i needed a proper meal.

So you've decided that without even trying a single item off the menu?

Thank fuck some pubs are trying to do something about the climate crisis.
I eat plenty of veggie and vegan food. And might occasionally pop in for a veggie or vegan bite at the Railway- I have happily gone to veggie or vegan restaurants in the past, and my OH is veggie.

But for me at least, Sunday roast is the most important and enjoyable food experience I expect to have in a pub, and most food I consume in pubs are Sunday roasts. So yes, as far as the sacred Sunday roast goes, The Railway is no longer an option. I suspect that will be the same for loads of others too.

Frankly, if this was the only pub in the area, it would feel like a proper cunt's trick. But as there are other pubs that still serve Sunday roasts in the locality, so it's not the end of the world.

The Railway is no longer an option. I suspect that will be the same for loads of others too. Luckily there are other pubs that still serve it in the locality.
Your doomsday Sunday scenario clearly hasn't happened at the pub seeing as they trialled the vegan-only menu for ages before switching.

Greene King are sexing up their beer range with two "premium craft" beers - Flint Eye lager and Level Head IPA.
Have these percolated through to The Albert - if so has anyone tried them?

I eat plenty of veggie and vegan food. And might occasionally pop in for a veggie or vegan bite at the Railway- I have happily gone to veggie or vegan restaurants in the past, and my OH is veggie.

But for me at least, Sunday roast is the most important and enjoyable food experience I expect to have in a pub, and most food I consume in pubs are Sunday roasts. So yes, as far as the sacred Sunday roast goes, The Railway is no longer an option. I suspect that will be the same for loads of others too.

Frankly, if this was the only pub in the area, it would feel like a proper cunt's trick. But as there are other pubs that still serve Sunday roasts in the locality, so it's not the end of the world.
The roasts were good with decent service. It’s a bold move.

Ganley's in Morden is the place for a truly magnificent Sunday roast, 4 types of meat if you want and at least 12 types of veg and potatoes.
The Bedford in Balham usually delivers extremely satisfying roasts. I believe The Rosendale is part of the same company, and much closer to Tulse Hill, though I have never had a roast there.

Ganley's in Morden is the place for a truly magnificent Sunday roast, 4 types of meat if you want and at least 12 types of veg and potatoes.
Can second this. Stopped off for one on the way to a festival in Morden Park a few years ago, i was so well fed i had to spend the rest of the day lounging around on the grass instead of dancing. The kind of feeling you get post Christmas dinner. Not ideal before a music festival but you get my sentiment.

Greene King are sexing up their beer range with two "premium craft" beers - Flint Eye lager and Level Head IPA.
Have these percolated through to The Albert - if so has anyone tried them?
Hadn't realised that Level Head was Greene King. Does explain why it's on tap at the Oval cricket alongside GK IPA. It's OK but wouldn't go out of my way for it. 4% session beer. Reviews are mixed...

Reactions: CH1
Ganleys is great but since being I’ll a while back I can’t eat the whole deal and don’t like to waste anything.

I liked the Railway as I could get great quick service and then enjoy a few beers and that with the papers.

Ultra processed food I don’t want.

Ganleys is great but since being I’ll a while back I can’t eat the whole deal and don’t like to waste anything.

I liked the Railway as I could get great quick service and then enjoy a few beers and that with the papers.

Ultra processed food I don’t want.
What makes you think that the food at the Railway is 'ultra processed'?

What makes you think that the food at the Railway is 'ultra processed'?
To be fair I went back and had a good look at the menu. It has an emphasis on fresh vegetables, nothing looks processed at all.
The Sunday “Wellington” didn’t give much away but hopefully not a meat sub filling.

I would definitely give it a go in the early evening.

To be fair I went back and had a good look at the menu. It has an emphasis on fresh vegetables, nothing looks processed at all.
The Sunday “Wellington” didn’t give much away but hopefully not a meat sub filling.

I would definitely give it a go in the early evening.
On reading your post just now I asked my OH about her preferred pub veggie Sunday roasts. Her favourites tend to involve either a nut roast or a veggie Wellington as the centrepiece, neither of which I reckon are particularly problematic regarding the level of food processing involved. Certainly if prepared fresh in the kitchen, as I am sure it will be.

I will still continue to happily visit the Railway for drinks/ evenings out. Just not for Sunday pub food.

I recently tried a couple of small dishes at The Railway because I love vegan food and very happy for an all plant based menu.
The concepts were great and the food would have been too but both dishes felt like they had too much curry powder in them. I'd have to wait for some favourable reviews before I try again.

For £12 you can have as many chicken wings as you can wolf down your gullet in 90 mins.

Shame they stopped their daily evening happy hour a couple of years back. Gnawing on a load of gristly chicken bones doesn't quite have the same appeal.

The fortnightly karaoke Sunday nights in the Albert keep on getting more popular, so we may be going weekly in autumn.

The next one is 3rd Sept, 9pm till midnight, free entry.

Here's how the last one looked:

1692737732548.jpeg

1692737754060.jpeg

1692737771053.jpeg

Vegan curry: most of the Ethiopian/Eritrean places offer really good vegan platters so as to fulfil Orthodox Church fasting rules
Sushi: I've never been in (too intimidated by the cool-kid clientele and the relatively high prices) but have heard and read good things about the place called Temaki in the market (the stretch just behind Reliance Arcade - bit further on the main drag past Franco Manca / Healthy Eaters). Supposed to be proper quality hand rolled artisanal whatsit, not ultra-refined but a long way from an Itsu lunchbox (also available, on the High St, if it's got to be sushi but your budget is more limited.)

Love the Effra Hall Tavern!

effra-hall-thursdays-01.jpg

Vegan curry: most of the Ethiopian/Eritrean places offer really good vegan platters so as to fulfil Orthodox Church fasting rules
Sushi: I've never been in (too intimidated by the cool-kid clientele and the relatively high prices) but have heard and read good things about the place called Temaki in the market (the stretch just behind Reliance Arcade - bit further on the main drag past Franco Manca / Healthy Eaters). Supposed to be proper quality hand rolled artisanal whatsit, not ultra-refined but a long way from an Itsu lunchbox (also available, on the High St, if it's got to be sushi but your budget is more limited.)
Temaki is very good quality with a consistent good welcome. Easy to spend a bundle though. I recommend the eel.

Back
Top Bottom