Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

In the past month alone, Baz and Fred's pizza and Federation have closed in the Village, Brewdog fucked off and the Liquor Club in the arches have also closed.

I chatted to the Fed guys and they said it was the hefty rent rise introduced by Hondo that finished them. I expect more to follow.

[. . . ]

I chatted to the Fed guys and they said it was the hefty rent rise introduced by Hondo that finished them.

They would say that wouldn't they. If they'd been more profitable then they'd have been able to pay the new rent.

Landlords charge what they can. They're not charities.

Commercial leases usually last for a number of years. They would have known this was coming.

It's all part of the cut and thrust of business. They'll move on and start something else great. You'll see.

They would say that wouldn't they. If they'd been more profitable then they'd have been able to pay the new rent.

Landlords charge what they can. They're not charities.

Commercial leases usually last for a number of years. They would have known this was coming.

It's all part of the cut and thrust of business. They'll move on and start something else great. You'll see.
There's only so much fixed cost that a coffee shop can bear and the landlords must be aware of that. Surely not in Hondo's interest to have a constant rotation of businesses coming and going.

Anyone know if Dog's Grandad brewery is still going? (Arch 550 Brixton Station Road - just along from Brixton Brewery)
I've walked past (out of hours) a couple of times and no signage visible.
Their online shop has "out of stock" Dogs Grandad Brewery - Brixton Brewery and Taproom
Nothing amiss at companies house btw - accounts to 31/3/2022 here:
Dogs Grandad.jpg

Nothing amiss at companies house btw - accounts to 31/3/2022 here
:..........................
.To be fair those accounts don't exactly give the impression that there is nothing amiss

Anyone know if Dog's Grandad brewery is still going? (Arch 550 Brixton Station Road - just along from Brixton Brewery)
Their online shop has "out of stock" Dogs Grandad Brewery - Brixton Brewery and Taproom
View attachment 372037
Yes, they're still going

342972981_564913815627695_5322295034054065922_n.jpg

Oh I was wondering if they were ok. I can't remember the last time I walked past there and noticed it was open.

Good to hear they still have a business tho

The combination of squeezed disposable income, inflation and rising costs all round is taking its toll on foodservice this year. We will see a lot more of this I'm afraid.

The karaoke nights in the Albert have proved so popular that they are now going fortnightly, and will come with a charismatic host lining up the tunes and stopping people hogging the laptop!

karaoke-albert-april-2023-01.jpg

karaoke-albert-april-2023-02.jpg

karaoke-albert-april-2023-07.jpg

View attachment 372037
Very much alive and kicking. Thursdays sometimes Alex will close up early if it's quiet but Friday and Saturday usually open till 10/11. Happy hour there is always £5 a pint which is great for the quality of beer there!

Reactions: CH1
Anyone know anything about the planning hoo-ha over the Effra Social garden? Neighbour was telling me they had made a couple of retrospective applications for Rush Common consent to regularise the work they did during Covid, but these don't include the pink neon sign that can be seen down Josephine Avenue at night. And there's something to do with the pub being in the Brixton Water Lane conservation area but the visual disturbance being to the Brixton Hill conservation area, or something like that.
Don't know about the light but the retrospective Rush Common application for the pergolas and landscaping just got refused.

Don't know about the light but the retrospective Rush Common application for the pergolas and landscaping just got refused.
Oh yes. Just looked it up. The full planning application was refused too - on grounds of impact on the conservation area, on the historic pub building and on the Grade II neighbour. The refusal letter also advises that they need to submit a heritage statement with any new application, and to make sure that their drawings are properly coordinated. They've also been advised that they need to look into advertisement consent for their sign.

So they do another retrospective planning application or are they required to put back as was and apply again fresh?

Back
Top Bottom