Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Not sure if this is the right thread The Night Shift: The Blues Kitchen, Brixton - Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment

Someone ar the Orchestra of the Age of Englightenment must be a follower of Radio Three presented Tom Service.
During his very short tenure as Professor of Music at Gresham College, Tom Service gave a lecture in which he recreated a Haydn string quartet concert compete with talking whilst the music was playing and clapping in the middle of the music when the music modulated. Be interested to hear if this event is formal or informal. Ticket prices do at least seem reasonable.

I haven't heard much about 'Ton of Brix' since it opened. I did wander by it over the Christmas period and noticed it had a Caribbean menu stuck in the window, so assume its some sort of restaurant/bar in the day time and nightclub later? There are no reviews on the place online that i can see.

I haven't heard much about 'Ton of Brix' since it opened. I did wander by it over the Christmas period and noticed it had a Caribbean menu stuck in the window, so assume its some sort of restaurant/bar in the day time and nightclub later? There are no reviews on the place online that i can see.
It's appears to be still undergoing some sort of long drawn out 'soft launch' although I've seen some big crowds outside recently.

Their website lists from tomorrow a weekly residency for the rest of February from 'My Nu Leng', which i gather is a reasonably big name in the DnB scene. Tickets are really cheap too- £6 currently, which is the price of a small can of beer in Brixton Market restaurants. Im tempted to pop in soon and see what they have done with the place.

Their website lists from tomorrow a weekly residency for the rest of February from 'My Nu Leng', which i gather is a reasonably big name in the DnB scene. Tickets are really cheap too- £6 currently, which is the price of a small can of beer in Brixton Market restaurants. Im tempted to pop in soon and see what they have done with the place.
It's a world away from the 414. The first floor appears huge and the sound system is fantastic. I'd still prefer the 414 be there though, by a country mile. This place seems to have very little connection to the local community and may as well be a Shoreditch club helicoptered in. All, IMO, of course.

It's a world away from the 414. The first floor appears huge and the sound system is fantastic. I'd still prefer the 414 be there though, by a country mile. This place seems to have very little connection to the local community and may as well be a Shoreditch club helicoptered in. All, IMO, of course.
Yes, the 414 will never be replaced, or bettered at that location. It remains a sad scandal what happened with Tony and Louise with everything they had worked hard to build and achieve. Fuck you Hondo.

I'm ruefully pleased that it remains a nightclub however. Better than an 'All Bar One' or whatever it was looking likely to become a while back. I hope they do well and perhaps start up a regular free jazz night on a Thursday night, similar to the one that used to take place at POW. That used to be packed and was a cracking night full of local characters. It was the busiest night of the week when I had a stint behind the bar.

Yes, the 414 will never be replaced, or bettered at that location. It remains a sad scandal what happened with Tony and Louise with everything they had worked hard to build and achieve. Fuck you Hondo.

I'm ruefully pleased that it remains a nightclub however. Better than an 'All Bar One' or whatever it was looking likely to become a while back. I hope they do well and perhaps start up a regular free jazz night on a Thursday night, similar to the one that used to take place at POW. That used to be packed and was a cracking night full of local characters. It was the busiest night of the week when I had a stint behind the bar.
There was talk about me getting involved with programming some of the events on the ground floor but it didn't feel right and, to be honest, I'd rather put on my events in the Albert next door where there's an actual local community.

I heard Tony and Louise have been scouting new locations further afield in Streatham

not really a favourite of this forum, but word reaches me that soho house brixton is kaput, resson cited...not taking any money.

Last edited:
Sounds believable. Not a great time to open a big hospitality facility, with energy prices. Nor with membership fees.

They've also opened a few in recent times. I walked past one in Balham the other week.

Yeah they took over an old restaurant next to the big Sainsbury's on Bedford Hill/high street. Looks a bit odd, a place that looks like a restaurant but isn't.

not really a favourite of this forum, but word reaches me that soho house brixton is kaput, resson cited...not taking any money.
To be fair, they were one of the few upmarket incomers that got in touch and invited me to take a look around when they arrived. More recently I was invited to some foodie/art thing that was cancelled at 24 hours notice so maybe they were wobbling for some time.

Yeah they took over an old restaurant next to the big Sainsbury's on Bedford Hill/high street. Looks a bit odd, a place that looks like a restaurant but isn't.

i think balham might be a better place for them tbh, nice and close to clapham and less competition when it comes to upmarket groovy late night hangouts.

To be fair, they were one of the few upmarket incomers that got in touch and invited me to take a look around when they arrived. More recently I was invited to some foodie/art thing that was cancelled at 24 hours notice so maybe they were wobbling for some time.

....yeah too many upmarket incomers might be one reason they decided to bale out. the person that told me it closeed used to go to a comedy night there which also ran concurrently at the white city branch and still does afaik , quite a raucous and sweary fun night out from what they said.

This was a fun night - and it was packed again on Saturday too. I'm well chuffed to be DJing there again.

In photos: Drag Night at the Prince Albert, Brixton, Fri 10th March 2023

In photos: Drag Night at the Prince Albert, Brixton, Fri 10th March 2023

brixtonbuzz.com/2023/03/in-photos-drag-night-at-the-prince-albert-brixton-fri-10th-march-2023/

Back
Top Bottom