Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Here's one for you meat gluttons

Renowned for their legendary wings, The Blues Kitchen will be eliminating all January blues by hosting 90-minutes of Bottomless Chicken Wings every Sunday throughout January, from 12pm - 6pm.

For five weeks, from New Year’s Day up until Sunday the 29th of January, guests can feast on the bottomless wings for only £12 per person or £20 for two people at The Blues Kitchen’s London venues in Camden, Shoreditch and Brixton.

Why did it go from queies round the block for hours, to empty? What was the phenomena that turned it from okayish Saturday night venue, to the most popular place in Brixton and then to empty within a couple of years?

Why did it go from queies round the block for hours, to empty? What was the phenomena that turned it from okayish Saturday night venue, to the most popular place in Brixton and then to empty within a couple of years?
The GM that had made the place so successful left and from then on in it was a slow slide downhill all the way thanks to bad management at the top and an endless succession of new managers, none of whom lasted very long.

It's in a great location but they keep on fucking it up - during lockdown they disastrously decided to turn it back into a traditional pub (why?) and ripped out the DJ booth in the main room, only to be compelled to put a shittier one back.

They also fucked up the ballroom and rendered it unusable for over a year so I was unable to do my Bowie charity night.

But it's really not that hard to fix. Get in some stable management, book some decent DJs/promoters, put in the work and pay what's necessary and the place could easily bounce back. Oh and change the growling bouncers on the door too.

Here's how my last night in Sept 2021 looked - despite Covid still lingering. And they very nearly fucked this up too (but that's another story).

queen-bitch-dogstar-sept-2021-01.jpg

Last time I went to the Dogstar on a weekend night was just pre covid (I think), they had booked Fabio and Grooverider and the place was completely empty, they would have lost a lot of money that night. Surely its more than management changes and a DJ booth alteration that have put off the hundreds of punters when it used to be packed to the rafters?

Last time I went to the Dogstar on a weekend night was just pre covid (I think), they had booked Fabio and Grooverider and the place was completely empty, they would have lost a lot of money that night. Surely its more than management changes and a DJ booth alteration that have put off the hundreds of punters when it used to be packed to the rafters?
The place was already fucked before they shunted the DJ booth around. Their promotion has been awful for years - when I did the Bowie night there - selling 250 tickets in the beginning of January - they refused (or were too shit) to promote it on their social media channels despite multiple requests and the fact I'm going to pack the place out.

Although they did manage it the day after, showing my busy crowd with the caption, "we're keeping the Bowie vibes going tonight." The fucking useless wankers.

And it really isn't that hard to fix - I could pack the place out again but not while there's a revolving door of managers, unpleasant door staff and a myriad of staff problems.

The place was already fucked before they shunted the DJ booth around. Their promotion has been awful for years - when I did the Bowie night there - selling 250 tickets in the beginning of January - they refused (or were too shit) to promote it on their social media channels despite multiple requests and the fact I'm going to pack the place out.

Although they did manage it the day after, showing my busy crowd with the caption, "we're keeping the Bowie vibes going tonight." The fucking useless wankers.

And it really isn't that hard to fix - I could pack the place out again but not while there's a revolving door of managers, unpleasant door staff and a myriad of staff problems.

socials tell me its david boowies birthday today....were you planning a a commemorative event this year...?

Last edited:
So let me tell you how every meeting I've had with the last infinity-squared Dogstar managers have gone.

"Hi, I'm local and thought I'd pop in and say I'd be happy to help promote any forthcoming nights at the Dogstar on my website, which is Brixton's biggest. We can run a free page of listings if you can just forward them to us. I'm not asking for anything in return - I'd just like to see the place do better."

And then nothing. If they can't even be fucking bothered to spend 60 seconds to get free publicity for their upcoming shows is it any wonder that the place is empty?

Oh, and their tatty A board outside hasn't changed since New Year's Day.

View attachment 360693

I see that the edgelord named F Mondays have moved into that small unit by the Premier In
If that is the former vape shop, I think it has been open as a coffee place since November?

Hadn't picked up it was a second branch of the people on Brixton Hill by Blenheim Gardens with the eye-wateringly pricey curated selection of groceries, which apparently remains more lucrative than serving brunch even after lockdown.

Anyone know anything about the planning hoo-ha over the Effra Social garden? Neighbour was telling me they had made a couple of retrospective applications for Rush Common consent to regularise the work they did during Covid, but these don't include the pink neon sign that can be seen down Josephine Avenue at night. And there's something to do with the pub being in the Brixton Water Lane conservation area but the visual disturbance being to the Brixton Hill conservation area, or something like that.

Anyone know anything about the planning hoo-ha over the Effra Social garden? Neighbour was telling me they had made a couple of retrospective applications for Rush Common consent to regularise the work they did during Covid, but these don't include the pink neon sign that can be seen down Josephine Avenue at night. And there's something to do with the pub being in the Brixton Water Lane conservation area but the visual disturbance being to the Brixton Hill conservation area, or something like that.
I'll ask around. It wouldn't surprise me if some folks don't agree, but I quite like the neon sign :)

What I do find more offensive is the fucking huge orange Sainsbury's sign nearby that lights up the night sky and is clearly visible from my Coldharbour Lane flat.

I know that an application for Rush Common consent went in some months ago in respect of the pavilions etc... Don't know what the outcome was. Strictly speaking it should not get Rush Common consent but probably will.

I know that an application for Rush Common consent went in some months ago in respect of the pavilions etc... Don't know what the outcome was. Strictly speaking it should not get Rush Common consent but probably will.
Mind you, it certainly looks better than when Antic owned it

effra-social.jpg

I'll ask around. It wouldn't surprise me if some folks don't agree, but I quite like the neon sign :)

What I do find more offensive is the fucking huge orange Sainsbury's sign nearby that lights up the night sky and is clearly visible from my Coldharbour Lane flat.
Sainsbury's sign has always seemed unnecessarily large to me too. But at least it did get consent.

But I think your comment about it is the same as what I think is being said about the pink one. It's not its relative artistic merit, but the fact that it some folk see it as a visual disturbance.

Elm Park Tavern reopening seems to be a little delayed, till early Feb, according to locals who have spoken to people at the site or at the White Horse. Not clear to me if they have a set open day yet.

Elm Park Tavern reopening seems to be a little delayed, till early Feb, according to locals who have spoken to people at the site or at the White Horse. Not clear to me if they have a set open day yet.
there's never been anything happening inside, the few times i've walked past

Back
Top Bottom