Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I went to 'Loki' on Friday. Nice little club and not bad house/techno music. Security and staff very friendly, there was no airport search and things were generally relaxed. Its got potential.

Not many people there though, but not surprising that it had just opened and had DJ's id never heard of playing.

I went to 'Loki' on Friday. Nice little club and not bad house/techno music. Security and staff very friendly, there was no airport search and things were generally relaxed. Its got potential.

Not many people there though, but not surprising that it had just opened and had DJ's id never heard of playing.
They seem to be intentionally keeping things very low key too.

So I went along to Beetle Juice. I don't really know an awful lot about cocktails but they seemed tasty enough and my friend - who knows about these things - was full of praise.

Staff were friendly although it can get a bit nippy so close to the Pope's Road entrance.

1669205958159.png

1669205966380.png

Last edited:
With Canopy Brewery closing down we're also losing the Sympathetic Ear in Tulse Hill as they're linked.

It's shutting next Friday according to the staff.

Which means that there's no bars or pubs left in what was the old Tulse Hill ward. Well except that tapas bar at the crypt. But that's more of a restaurant.

In other news, Brixton Bid paid me do a DJ set at the Prince Albert (I've still no idea why!) but it turned out to be quite lively. I'm personally investing in some PA gear to bring the sound up to scratch and I'm cautiously optimistic that better times are ahead for this splendid old boozer.

brixton-albert-7-dec-2022-05.jpg

Had lunch at the relocated Rancho de Lalo behind the Town Hall today. Love the venue, staff were ace and the food was very tasty. It seemed quite pricey with generous mains £16-20 (I seem to recall that from before the move too). The day's specials are good value at about £9.50 for a big main but they were a tad fishy for me today.

Who knew that the Laundry - with its £25 mains and £84 bottles of champagne -was a 'hub for locals'?

Laundry has become a hub for locals—friends are catching up over a cuppa, a woman and her laptop are making me envious about her Work From Laundry situation, and Brown tells me their patio is always packed with al fresco diners on warmer days. The simple but creative menu at The Laundry wowed me so much so that I’ve now booked their gorgeous private dining room downstairs for my birthday dinner. Their all-day menu includes seasonal dishes like roasted squash with whipped stilton, caramelised spicy walnuts, and lamb’s lettuce; a Winter vegetable stew with rouille sauce; and Brown’s current favourite, duck confit, with olive relish, sauce verde, and Paris mash.

King Edward VII (1901–1910), himself inspired by the fine dining etiquette of France known as “à la russe", adopted a sequential style of service for his festive banquets, with dishes being served one after the other rather than laid on all at once in a flamboyant display as had been the previous tradition. The all-day menu for The Laundry offers a concise menu designed to appease every palate.

Who knew that the Laundry - with its £25 mains and £84 bottles of champagne -was a 'hub for locals'?

Another bought review, not a negative word in there.

I assume this kind of bullshit games algorithms.

Last edited:
There was work going on this afternoon at the EPT - door was open so I asked the bloke inside when it would open and got same reply (mid to late January reopening)

just checking pub opening hours and both grosvenor and crown and anchor are shut christmas eve
crown and anchor is open christmas day lunch closing 2ish, no food, then its shut until midweek
grosvenor reopens boxing day....

just checking pub opening hours and both grosvenor and crown and anchor are shut christmas eve
crown and anchor is open christmas day lunch closing 2ish, no food, then its shut until midweek
grosvenor reopens boxing day....
Dogstar can barely be arsed to open, as is the norm these days

Franco Manca was in meltdown tonight - only two serving staff and the ordering system was down.

The waiter oscillated between blasé (trying to remember order without writing it down) and apologetic. Feel sorry for under-resourced staff but really he wasn’t helping himself.

A rare occasion on which I would have refused to pay service charge but he comped a beer so we left it at that.

Last edited:
Lazy post here but what’s a good place to get settled down for a full day’s laptop work nowadays in Brixton? I’m assuming coffee shop hence asking here. I’d have headed to Costa in the past but I see it’s closed after a returning after so long

The kind of place where you can go to the toilet for a good five minute doomscroll without worry for your stuff

Ideally decent prices on food and drinks to boot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom