Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

That was the previous owner - when it was first refurbed they took it too expensive and had a very wanky beer list, and it very much felt like they were trying their best to get rid of the old customers. They failed, and then these new owners took over mid-pandemic (July 2020) which with hindsight probably wasn't the best choice, but then frankly which of us knew it would go on this long?
The new owners are much better, the beer list is more balanced (obviously not as cheap as the old EPT, but where is?) and they are really friendly and welcoming. They've kept the long-running quiz; on Mondays you can bring your own food or order takeaway; and on Thursday they do kitchen takeovers for local chefs.
I've lived round the corner for nearly 10 years and most people on our street seem to like it, there aren't that many side-steet boozers left in Brixton and it would be a real shame to lost it.
Was the previous owner the ones who also used to own The King and Co, in Clapham (pre Portobello)? As i heard the manager of that place slagging of the regulars of The Elm Park Tavern once, moaning that they weren't sophisticated enough for their expensive craft beers.

So we had a pretty good crowd at the Effra on NYE:

In photos: Brixton Buzz New Year's Eve party at the Effra Social, Brixton's Eve party at the Effra Social, Brixton

In photos: Brixton Buzz New Year's Eve party at the Effra Social, Brixton's Eve party at the Effra Social, Brixton

so this is where the "brixton village" crowd go drinking then

Was the previous owner the ones who also used to own The King and Co, in Clapham (pre Portobello)? As i heard the manager of that place slagging of the regulars of The Elm Park Tavern once, moaning that they weren't sophisticated enough for their expensive craft beers.
Yep that's the one. Not surprising they didn't last long with that attitude. New ones much, much better.

The crown for the biggest wankers of the lot still has to be the hipster owners of the White Hart in Tulse Hill who tried to ban standing. They didn't last long, obvs.

they’d have found their time and place if they’d hung on til now 🙁

The Elm Park has had three Landlords that I know of since 2018. The first were the people who ran King &Co down by Clapham Common/Acre Lane/Abbeville - they were free house / craft beer focused. The second were more traditional publicans who I think ran a pub elsewhere, they took over sometime in 2019. The third and current took over during the Pandemic.

The Effra Social, do they still have the framed pictures of prominent Conservatives of the Seventies and Eighties up in the stair corridor? The big portrait of the Queen in the hall?

The Effra Social, do they still have the framed pictures of prominent Conservatives of the Seventies and Eighties up in the stair corridor? The big portrait of the Queen in the hall?
I think most - if not all - of those have gone now as the place has been given a glitzy makeover.

But you do understand why those pictures were there in the first place, yes? It's not like the owners were putting them up themselves because they're raging Tories.

Personally I preferred the place when it was like a time warp of the 70s, warts and all.

I think most - if not all - of those have gone now as the place has been given a glitzy makeover.

But you do understand why those pictures were there in the first place, yes? It's not like the owners were putting them up themselves because they're raging Tories.

Personally I preferred the place when it was like a time warp of the 70s, warts and all.
I preferred it when it was on fire in 1985 at I ran up Effra Road. But good to see a decent built building being put to a better use.

I preferred it when it was on fire in 1985 at I ran up Effra Road. But good to see a decent built building being put to a better use.
I'm hoping to start putting on free live music shows there again later this year. It'll never be as good as the Albert was - but then the Albert isn't as good as the Albert was - but central Brixton really needs some live music venues.

I'm hoping to start putting on free live music shows there again later this year. It'll never be as good as the Albert was - but then the Albert isn't as good as the Albert was - but central Brixton really needs some live music venues.
That sounds good.

That sounds good.
I was trying to get something going at the Dogstar for ages but I can't keep up with their revolving door of new managers and policy changes. This is what happened at the Effra with the old (Antic) managers - just as soon as I started building a live music night up there (Pregoblin, The Scribes etc) they changed their minds :(
The new manager at the Effra is great though so I'm hoping I'll get something going soon.

That said, the demographic in Brixton has changed in the last 10 years and there doesn't seem such an appetite for live music, so it's going to be a battle.

I was trying to get something going at the Dogstar for ages but I can't keep up with their revolving door of new managers and policy changes. This is what happened at the Effra with the old (Antic) managers - just as soon as I started building a live music night up there (Pregoblin, The Scribes etc) they changed their minds :(
The new manager at the Effra is great though so I'm hoping I'll get something going soon.

That said, the demographic in Brixton has changed in the last 10 years and there doesn't seem such an appetite for live music, so it's going to be a battle.
Keep on at it. I don't get on with the Windmill Guv so elsewhere for gigs would be welcome.

I think I'm going to give up on the Albert for a while. The new landlord only seems interested in getting his mates in to DJ way too loudly to an empty dancefloor. A very very long term regular has just given up on the place after being told to fuck off last night. Not good. Not good at all.

I think I'm going to give up on the Albert for a while. The new landlord only seems interested in getting his mates in to DJ way too loudly to an empty dancefloor. A very very long term regular has just given up on the place after being told to fuck off last night. Not good. Not good at all.
Our lass was in there the other night and thought the music was that bad she even texted me to let me know.
said it was fairly busy tho and they stayed til closing time....I guess this is how it goes, new people come in, vibe changes, as long as takings stay up then it won’t matter, sad but there it is...

Our lass was in there the other night and thought the music was that bad she even texted me to let me know.
said it was fairly busy tho and they stayed til closing time....I guess this is how it goes, new people come in, vibe changes, as long as takings stay up then it won’t matter, sad but there it is...
If they keep jettisoning regulars I'm not sure how their midweeks are going to pan out. Their NYE was apparently pretty crap and that's usually a guaranteed full house.
I wouldn't mind if the DJ was playing to a busy dancefloor but it's been empty the last two times I've been there, and the music has been annoyingly, pointlessly loud.

Hopefully things will get better.

Well the pair of them certainly know how to work hard. I quite liked the jungle being played the the other night and encouraged Pez to get a sub in for more bass. Problem really is there is hardly any punters.

Was it one of the staff who told a punter to fuck off?

Well the pair of them certainly know how to work hard. I quite liked the jungle being played the the other night and encouraged Pez to get a sub in for more bass. Problem really is there is hardly any punters.

Was it one of the staff who told a punter to fuck off?
That appears to be the case. Either way he was furious with his treatment.

If there's barely any punters, and if the ones that are there aren't interested in what's been played, turning up the volume/bass is not usually a winning strategy. It's why we left last night as we had to shout to hear each other - and we were near the back.

It's not hard to get a good crowd in the Albert but I hope things don't stay as they are and more locals don't get alienated.

That appears to be the case. Either way he was furious with his treatment.

If there's barely any punters, and if the ones that are there aren't interested in what's been played, turning up the volume/bass is not usually a winning strategy. It's why we left last night as we had to shout to hear each other - and we were near the back.

It's not hard to get a good crowd in the Albert but I hope things don't stay as they are and more locals don't get alienated.
I like loud music and bass, I may have even liked the music that was on. But on a Wednesday night in The Albert? Seems a bit silly. Was there a night on at the electric or academy that they were trying to have punters in from afterwards?

Back
Top Bottom