Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I wasn’t, was at some post work drinks in Berrylands so was passing the chicken place on the way back from Vauxhall

That’s the pub with the theatre in right?

yes, more a performing space, the lounge side of the pub was a great pizza shop at one time. The other side was a basic boozer empty with an overloud telly blaring out last time I was in. nice building tho...

Last edited:
I wasn’t, was at some post work drinks in Berrylands so was passing the chicken place on the way back from Vauxhall

That’s the pub with the theatre in right?
Not often people mention Berrylands, that's where i was brought up. I take it The Berry is still open, and not suffering from staff shortages?

yes, more a performing space, the lounge side of the pub was a great pizza shop at one time. The other side was a basic boozer empty with an overloud telly blaring out last time I was in. nice building tho...
We are missing a good pizza shop so shame that’s not still there

Christmas Eve was an absolute disaster for Brixton venues: I heard that Hootananny, Gremio and Pop Brixton were all closed, and the Effra Social gave up at 11.30. Anyone go out last night?

I was walking through Brixton a few minutes ago and lots of stuff was closed, as you'd expect but so was Brixton Pop. Which mildly surprised me

So we had a pretty good crowd at the Effra on NYE:

In photos: Brixton Buzz New Year's Eve party at the Effra Social, Brixton

In photos: Brixton Buzz New Year's Eve party at the Effra Social, Brixton

Elm Park Tavern launches crowdfunder to 'keep the pub alive'

Reader comment on Buzz:

The Elm was my local for years until it was taken over by the owners of the King & Queens who deliberately ostracised the regulars and attempted to turn it into a 90s-themed Gastropub. Now we have £7 pints and Sunday lunches with mummy and daddy visiting from the Home Counties. I do wish you all the best but to pretend that this gem of a pub ‘needed love and ambition’ is a slap in the face to all those who packed it out every evening for years

I've not been back to the pub since it was taken over. Is it as bad as this person says?

What the deal The Elm Park Tavern? i have never been in. Correct me if i am wrong, but my research suggests it is run by 'fledging pub operator', Bright Pete Holdings. They also recently opened a large bar/restaurant in Streatham called 'Carmine'. The pub must have doing well enough to open a 100 seat bar/restaurant only 3 months ago. I get pubs will have a tough month but im not convinced about this outstretched hand.

Reader comment on Buzz:

I've not been back to the pub since it was taken over. Is it as bad as this person says?
That was the previous owner - when it was first refurbed they took it too expensive and had a very wanky beer list, and it very much felt like they were trying their best to get rid of the old customers. They failed, and then these new owners took over mid-pandemic (July 2020) which with hindsight probably wasn't the best choice, but then frankly which of us knew it would go on this long?
The new owners are much better, the beer list is more balanced (obviously not as cheap as the old EPT, but where is?) and they are really friendly and welcoming. They've kept the long-running quiz; on Mondays you can bring your own food or order takeaway; and on Thursday they do kitchen takeovers for local chefs.
I've lived round the corner for nearly 10 years and most people on our street seem to like it, there aren't that many side-steet boozers left in Brixton and it would be a real shame to lost it.

And in other news, the Cambria looks like it's going to have a tough time if it wants to reopen with extended hours

I think they are onto a loser if they want extended hours (and live music) in a residential area. Might get away with Friday and Saturday.

I think they are onto a loser if they want extended hours (and live music) in a residential area. Might get away with Friday and Saturday.
They had live music there before. I can't see the pub being a viable option if it has to shut at 11pm every night or midnight on weekends.

That was the previous owner - when it was first refurbed they took it too expensive and had a very wanky beer list, and it very much felt like they were trying their best to get rid of the old customers. They failed, and then these new owners took over mid-pandemic (July 2020) which with hindsight probably wasn't the best choice, but then frankly which of us knew it would go on this long?
The new owners are much better, the beer list is more balanced (obviously not as cheap as the old EPT, but where is?) and they are really friendly and welcoming. They've kept the long-running quiz; on Mondays you can bring your own food or order takeaway; and on Thursday they do kitchen takeovers for local chefs.
I've lived round the corner for nearly 10 years and most people on our street seem to like it, there aren't that many side-steet boozers left in Brixton and it would be a real shame to lost it.
Perfect summary

Back
Top Bottom