Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Well the brewery are saving a few quid as the pub is being run on a shoestring hence the early closing. Two staff most nights for the whole double shift. No entertainment budget but not much trouble so the bouncer is not every day which will save some money. Problem is it's uncomfortable. Hardly a cushioned seat in he place. Its cold. No food. No sparkle.

Well the brewery are saving a few quid as the pub is being run on a shoestring hence the early closing. Two staff most nights for the whole double shift. No entertainment budget but not much trouble so the bouncer is not every day which will save some money. Problem is it's uncomfortable. Hardly a cushioned seat in he place. Its cold. No food. No sparkle.
And yet all that could be turned around by putting on a DJ who bothers to promote the night, plays the music that people want to hear and fills the place with happy, money-spending folks. It's almost like they're putting on shit DJs to intentionally clear the place of people and ensure it has no future. And it fucking pisses me off.

Short lease ?
Absolutely nothing to do with that (it's owned by the Market House partners with some others buying into the idea) and everything to do with a shit idea and a restaurant that barely even opened its doors when it was open.

Absolutely nothing to do with that (it's owned by the Market House partners with some others buying into the idea) and everything to do with a shit idea and a restaurant that barely even opened its doors when it was open.
I'm not sure the idea was that bad - there isn't a great Indian in Brixton. I've not been to Khan's for many years but my memory was old school uk Curryhouse. Elephant didn't really do it for me. Kricket is good, but expensive and the tables we were given for two people was too small for the 'small plates' they were serving. Kennington Tandoori is the nearest place I rate.

But this menu wouldn't have got me through the door. Still surprised to see them giving it up that quickly rather than relaunching with a new menu.

I'm not sure the idea was that bad - there isn't a great Indian in Brixton.
I'd say that lack of customers was testament to how bad the idea was - and things weren't getting any better.

I would regularly would walk past there and see no more than a handful of people in there. Sometimes it would be completely empty. But that's not particularly surprising given the ludicrous opening hours, and their non-existent marketing/promotion past a tacky banner stuck on the front.

Good- a rarely open restaurant charging west end prices for food and drink was a shit replacement for Market House, which offered a happy hour all day until 8pm for locals (and anyone else who might be passing). The small bit out the front was not a bad spot to sit and people watch, even if you had to deal with passing nuisances trying to blag a fag every 10 minutes.

Good- a rarely open restaurant charging west end prices for food and drink was a shit replacement for Market House, which offered a happy hour all day until 8pm for locals (and anyone else who might be passing). The small bit out the front was not a bad spot to sit and people watch, even if you had to deal with passing nuisances trying to blag a fag every 10 minutes.
I think you'll like what's going to replace it :)

I enjoyed early summer evenings sat there. Lots of entertainment. One persistent chancer snuck up to the little fence all crouched down then stuck her hand up and nicked a pint. I laughed a long time.

You know when things have got really grim at the Albert when your mate - a decades-long term Albert regular - asks to meet in the Beehive instead. :(

I was in the Albert for a bit early evening yesterday. I remember thinking it was surprisingly busy, but it started to empty out quickly until it was mostly youngsters who knew the barman in the pub left. One of which wandered over towards my table, muttered something about needing a pillow and proceeding to lie down flat across a bench and attempt to sleep, which was odd. I moved on to the Effra, which is run properly.

I was in on Wednesday and there was ugly behaviour. I won't be back until it's sorted.
It's like it's turned into the new landlord's private playground for him and his shit, self indulgent DJ mates who don't give a fuck for the customers and regulars.

I never thought I'd stop going to my local but if I can't talk to anyone because the appalling, deafening music, the random hours and the likelihood of being thrown out within minutes of buying a last pint, what's the fucking point?

I was walking down from Loughborough Junction into Brixton and there's a new waffle/milkshake place. They started in Balham and I've been there once at least pre pandemic. Anyway, I had a waffle and it was good, but pricey.

Local kids came in and got milkshakes while I was there, which looked good.

So my Sunday night round up:
Albert - about 8 people. dead.
Dogstar - completely empty
Prince of Wales - modest crowd
Effra Social - busy for a pretty good comedy night
Whiskey Tumbler - busy with Irish band session

Zest of India takeaway at LJ is offering 15% off online orders for collection or delivery. Five of us had a lovely spread of mostly veg dishes delivered on Friday for about £10 a head
zestofindiaonline.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom