Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Where's the good coffee in central Brixton these days? I can't find anywhere. Which also means I can't find a reason to get out of bed. Instead I give in to ME and depression. I used to build my mornings around the Brixton £ caff. Before that it was Rosie's. Perhaps I should take a thermos and sit outside somewhere. I could take the cat, but she doesn't have much to say.

Where's the good coffee in central Brixton these days? I can't find anywhere. Which also means I can't find a reason to get out of bed. Instead I give in to ME and depression. I used to build my mornings around the Brixton £ caff. Before that it was Rosie's. Perhaps I should take a thermos and sit outside somewhere. I could take the cat, but she doesn't have much to say.
San Marino is pretty good.

Since Volcano Coffee Works hung up their paper filters and closed down the pop-up machine / slot, there isn't a really really good coffee anywhere in Brixton centre IMHO, at least not early in the week. I like the coffee at Parissi but know some don't, and it's expensive, and they're only open Weds to Sunday, Coffee at Sendero (the former A & C continental deli) is OK but mediocre. By far the best tasting is made at Il Sovrano - Italian deli at 33 Tulse Hill - but that's a way south from the Tube etc - bit further down south than the big Sainsbury's.

Had a nice coffee at Caya today on coldharbour lane

They've apparently 'officially' launched today.

That makes it a soft opening period of ten weeks, by my reckoning. Others will know better than me whether that is long - especially in these still odd times.

The comments in the article on pricing made me think a bit. £15 is no longer the upper end of the main course bracket for a restaurant in these parts. Compared to other higher-end Indian places nearby, it's less than Heritage Dulwich, about the same as Kricket, about the same as Kennington Tandoori, a bit more than Curry Paradise - and considerably above the stalwart neighbourhood curry houses with whom it doesn't look to be trying to compete.

£9 for a cocktail is about par for places that lead on food - and lower than pure cocktail bars. £6.50-7 for a pint of draught craft beer in a table service restaurant? Feels like a lot - but I can imagine why it costs a couple quid more than the brewery taproom.

That makes it a soft opening period of ten weeks, by my reckoning. Others will know better than me whether that is long - especially in these still odd times.

The comments in the article on pricing made me think a bit. £15 is no longer the upper end of the main course bracket for a restaurant in these parts. Compared to other higher-end Indian places nearby, it's less than Heritage Dulwich, about the same as Kricket, about the same as Kennington Tandoori, a bit more than Curry Paradise - and considerably above the stalwart neighbourhood curry houses with whom it doesn't look to be trying to compete.

£9 for a cocktail is about par for places that lead on food - and lower than pure cocktail bars. £6.50-7 for a pint of draught craft beer in a table service restaurant? Feels like a lot - but I can imagine why it costs a couple quid more than the brewery taproom.
Most of the new business in Brixton are catering to what I'd describe as the high end market these days, although that's all relative to how much disposable cash you've got.

My perspective tends to be informed by the community around me (i.e the big adjacent council estate), most of whom will never be able to afford £7 for a pint of locally brewed beer. It's a preposterous rip off.

And I can't think of any local Indian restaurant charging £15 for a main course.

Most of the new business in Brixton are catering to what I'd describe as the high end market these days, although that's all relative to how much disposable cash you've got.

My perspective tends to be informed by the community around me (i.e the big adjacent council estate), most of whom will never be able to afford £7 for a pint of locally brewed beer. It's a preposterous rip off.

And I can't think of any local Indian restaurant charging £15 for a main course.
Ah. Then we have differing interpretations.

The article says 'priced at the upper end of the market' - which reads as a remark on the relative price of food in Brixton, rather than 'catering to the high end market' which is more about the clientele. The fact that there are many other restaurants in Brixton charging 'anything up to £15' for a main course stands.

The matter of whether an Indian restaurant might charge £15 for its most expensive main course is different again. I named several others around here that have dishes at those prices and beyond.

And I don't see how basic observations on numbers relate to individual circumstances. What one might feel about them is a different matter.

Ah. Then we have differing interpretations.

The article says 'priced at the upper end of the market' - which reads as a remark on the relative price of food in Brixton, rather than 'catering to the high end market' which is more about the clientele. The fact that there are many other restaurants in Brixton charging 'anything up to £15' for a main course stands.

The matter of whether an Indian restaurant might charge £15 for its most expensive main course is different again. I named several others around here that have dishes at those prices and beyond.

And I don't see how basic observations on numbers relate to individual circumstances. What one might feel about them is a different matter.
I view a £15 main course in an Indian restaurant and £7 pints as being priced at the upper end of the market. You don't have to agree but you're certainly not going to change my opinion about their pricing. It absolutely is expensive from my perspective, regardless of whether there's a few other, equally expensive restaurants around.

I view a £15 main course in an Indian restaurant and £7 pints as being priced at the upper end of the market. You don't have to agree but you're certainly not going to change my opinion about their pricing. It absolutely is expensive from my perspective, regardless of whether there's a few other, equally expensive restaurants around.
Do you think Indian food should be cheaper than other cuisines?

Kennington Tandoori, .

I remember when kT was a regular curry shop, at some point it went upmarket to compete with Ghandis at the other end of the row which was a big favourite with Westminster political types living in the manor, and it worked, both are well patronised by tv, politicos and celebs from Richard and Judy ...is there the same draw in Brixton being a much longer black cab ride from where that action is ?

No idea where you think you're going with this bizarre strawman but I'll leave you to it. I'm really not that desperate for a pointless argument, thanks.
Good. I don’t like pointless arguments either. But I do like facts.

£15 is the most expensive main dish at Karakana. There’s only one at that price point. Mains there start at £8.50. Saying a restaurant is exclusive by talking about the most expensive dish is not fair representation.

At Khans mains go up to £14. At Curry Paradise they go up to £14.50. That’s takeaway prices cited on their websites btw. Eating in may be different.

I point out that a £15 main dish is not unusual anywhere these days. It’s the price of a medium basic cheese and tomato pizza at Brixton Domino’s. London Living Wage is now £11.05 per hour. Prices are high for everything everywhere. The inequality gap is forever widening. It’s awful.

But we’re not talking about Salt Bae and his £400 gold steaks here. So when I say that £15 is not the ‘upper end of the market’ that’s not opinion or a reflection of my personal habits or means. It’s just what it is.

I haven’t been to Karakana. I don’t know them. It may be crap for all I know. But that Buzz piece just doesn’t come across as fair. And I don’t mind saying so.

Last edited:
Good. I don’t like pointless arguments either. But I do like facts.

£15 is the most expensive main dish at Karakana. There’s only one at that price point. Mains there start at £8.50. Saying a restaurant is exclusive by talking about the most expensive dish is not fair representation.

It’s totally standard though, he pretty much always does this to restaurants which he doesn’t approve of. The only menu item referred too will be the most expensive item. It’s not untrue - but it does mis-represent.

Alex

It’s totally standard though, he pretty much always does this to restaurants which he doesn’t approve of. The only menu item referred too will be the most expensive item. It’s not untrue - but it does mis-represent.

Alex
I neither approve or disapprove of the place actually, but £7 for a pint of local beer is fucking expensive as is a main dish priced at £15. Plus the service charge on top as well, of course.

Next you'll be telling me that it's so incredibly affordable that it's jam-packed with residents from the local estates, because - as I have already explained - that's my perspective on pricing and I'm very much entitled to my opinion on the matter, just as you are.

sorry to share from Brixton blog but.....

”New tenants are set to open ventures in premises on Coldharbour that each, in their own way, once represented much of the Brixton that is now disappearing.

Lambeth council has received an application for a revised licence for the former Club 414 on Brixton’s Coldharbour Lane.

It comes from a company, Coldharbour APL, whose four directors are all senior members of the New York based finance company Angelo Gordon, which also owns Brixton’s covered markets in a joint venture”

But the 7.2 for a Guinness at your favourite Irish bar is totally fair ?
No idea what you're hoping to achieve with this comment but - to repeat - if I had a 'favourite Irish bar' it would definitely be the Old Dispensary in Camberwell, where I think a Guinness will set you back around a fiver, or less.

However if you're trying to score some personal points by referencing the Whisky Tumbler - a place I haven't been into for months, as it happens - their price list shows Guinness at £5.70. There's nothing listed at £7 a pint, and I've certainly never been charged anything more than the list price.

Have you ever been to the bar?

sorry to share from Brixton blog but.....

”New tenants are set to open ventures in premises on Coldharbour that each, in their own way, once represented much of the Brixton that is now disappearing.

Lambeth council has received an application for a revised licence for the former Club 414 on Brixton’s Coldharbour Lane.

It comes from a company, Coldharbour APL, whose four directors are all senior members of the New York based finance company Angelo Gordon, which also owns Brixton’s covered markets in a joint venture”

The article then adds:
This article has been amended following a request from the Lowick Group, a consultancy employed by Hondo Enterprises. Lowick asked us to clarify that the licence application for 414 Coldharbour Lane is not a new one, but seeks minor amendments to the existing licence arising from changes to the internal layout of the building.

I've been in touch with the guys from Jamm and they say that they don't expect the 414 to open for at least another 5 months as they are having to deal with all sorts of issue relating to sound insulation.

The article then adds:

I've been in touch with the guys from Jamm and they say that they don't expect the 414 to open for at least another 5 months as they are having to deal with all sorts of issue relating to sound insulation.

Apologies I didn’t see JAMM mentioned in the article or the planning, does this mean they’re gonna be tenants to a NY hedge fund ?

Back
Top Bottom