Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

Yep - it was indeed pretty smooth. Super friendly women on the door. A fair bit of info needed to be input on my phone once I was there but after that it was very straightforward - and I was still wandering around the park when I got my negative result in.

My partner had her vaccine today. At the centre by the Oval Cricket ground. I went along with her. They are quite happy with someone accompanying the person who is going to get the vaccine.

It was all very well organised and quick.

NHS number is useful but if you dont know it they are ok with that.

The army nurses were doing it at that centre.

My partner had her vaccine today. At the centre by the Oval Cricket ground. I went along with her. They are quite happy with someone accompanying the person who is going to get the vaccine.

It was all very well organised and quick.

NHS number is useful but if you dont know it they are ok with that.

The army nurses were doing it at that centre.

Bless the NHS. Yes really, bless them. I love it.

Is there a specific reason why you were sent to Oval? Do the big centres cover people who's GPs don't adminster?

I got my first dose via my GP, which happens to be a vaccination centre as well. I was then offered one at St Thomas's (as I'm registered with Guys and St Thomas's).

Is there a specific reason why you were sent to Oval? Do the big centres cover people who's GPs don't adminster?

I got my first dose via my GP, which happens to be a vaccination centre as well. I was then offered one at St Thomas's (as I'm registered with Guys and St Thomas's).

It was for my partner. Not for me. She was given the date and time and it happened to be the Oval.

I did not know some GPs did it.

The one thing about a big centre like Oval is that from what I saw they can vaccinate a lot of people quickly. So makes the whole vaccinating the general population process faster. It was like a factory. In and out very quickly.

Hello,

Can you just walk in to the Brockwell Park testing centre or do you have to book?

Edit - Test booked.

Last edited:
82 days to go. Possibly. I wonder if all the Brixton venues will reopen and if they'll stay the same. The Dogstar has already got rid of its DJ booth and the Effra Social has changed hands...

82 days to go. Possibly. I wonder if all the Brixton venues will reopen and if they'll stay the same. The Dogstar has already got rid of its DJ booth and the Effra Social has changed hands...

I think a big effect will be on shops. People have shifted to online shopping and found it works. I never did any online shopping until pandemic. Much to the amusement of my partner.

Im afraid to say the smaller retail shops will be the losers.

However I also think some form of WFH is here to stay. Companies now understand that a prestigous office in City/ West End is not necessary.

Ive heard some companies will not be renewing leases on office space.

So more people might be around Brixton and the suburbs. Which might be good for local shops and bars.

If your are going to get plastered on a Friday night it might be in local bar not in the City.

The City is looking increasingly deserted. Even Pret are closing up shops. As I notice are Costa. Getting hard to get a coffee in the City.

I think a big effect will be on shops. People have shifted to online shopping and found it works. I never did any online shopping until pandemic. Much to the amusement of my partner.

Im afraid to say the smaller retail shops will be the losers.

However I also think some form of WFH is here to stay. Companies now understand that a prestigous office in City/ West End is not necessary.

Ive heard some companies will not be renewing leases on office space.

So more people might be around Brixton and the suburbs. Which might be good for local shops and bars.

If your are going to get plastered on a Friday night it might be in local bar not in the City.

The City is looking increasingly deserted. Even Pret are closing up shops. As I notice are Costa. Getting hard to get a coffee in the City.
Coffee shops are going to thrive as well, I reckon. Even when you work from home, getting out for a meeting/break is pretty important. I hope pubs are savvy enough to pick up on this too.

Coffee shops are going to thrive as well, I reckon. Even when you work from home, getting out for a meeting/break is pretty important. I hope pubs are savvy enough to pick up on this too.

I agree. In areas like Brixton.

In City the area is becoming a wasteland. I seriously could not get a coffee today. All closed.

I think that local shops will thrive as people stay more local, even if it's working from home 1-2 days a week. Could even be a good time to open a new shop, if rents fall and rates get looked at. There will be plenty of vacant shops from failed chains.

Surge testing in Oval area....

FWIW
I got a text on Tuesday and had my 1st jab today at Oval. (Mid 50's - very very mils asthma)

The text looks like a scam, (but isn't) it was of the format accurx.thirdparty.nhs.uk/r/??????????

I have an unlocked data SIM that expires on 11 March. Don't know how much is left on it but at lease 50GB I would think. Does anyone know a worthy cause that could use it - a charity or community group perhaps? Hey even one of you.

DM me if so. I don't want anything for it (bought it because our broadband went down but it is back up now).

Over 60s can book their Covid-19 appointments now! :thumbs:

I got a letter about this. Helpfully it had my NHS number. Ive booked for vaccination Saturday week.

It was surprisingly easy to do online. All they neeed was postcode and NHS number.

Im getting it at the chemists in LJ. Some chemist are doing the vaccine.

When you put postcode in it tells you where is nearest place with available times.

Anti vaccine bloke with a megaphone outside tube station this morning. Ironically as I was on my way to get my first jab

A chemist on the High Road - they were closed and said no supply had been delivered that day. Wonder if it's linked to the letter that came out today that said supplies were about to run out? Hope I have better luck at the Oval on Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom