Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

Sorry the missus wants a tumble drier. Thanks for the tips but Im not going to dare suggest life without tumble drier.

The most energy efficient is Heat Pump drier but they are bit outside my price range.

Sorry the missus wants a tumble drier. Thanks for the tips but Im not going to dare suggest life without tumble drier.

The most energy efficient is Heat Pump drier but they are bit outside my price range.
Would still go down Station Road and see what they can do for you. Usually those types of businesses have 'connections' and can try and find what you need. The cooker/ washing machine place that was on Brixton Hill was great. We still have the cooker he sold us 17 years ago. Unfortunately the shop is now gone and retired to a golf course somewhere in his Porsche. His original shop was in Reliance arcade. Boy done good!

AO.com
Pay them the extra to take away the old one and packaging if recycling where you are is not perfect

As a slight derail - do you need a tumble drier?

An electric de-humidifier (probably, I think ) uses a lot less energy and really speeds up the drying of clothes on a rack. It's amazing how much water is sucked out if you turn it on next to a rack of washed clothes. Also a game changer if, like most places, your home has condensation at this time of year.
We have stopped using tumble drier almost completely when it is not practical to hang clothes outside. Because de-humidifier.

ETA. Probreeze are decent - have bought a couple. This will do a decent sized flat for £170: PB-06-UK - ProBreeze 12L Compressor Dehumidifier UK V2 for 12L Dehumidifier | For Large Damp Rooms | Pro Breeze )
As an aside when I lived in a small flat I used a dehumidifier. Apart from clearing up steamed up windows, and as you say keeping bedding etc dry, it completely eliminated the problem of BLACK MOULD which always crops up in TV programmes about poor housing, exploitative landlords and negligent councils.
Actually those problems were brought on - at least for me - by installing double glazing. Zero draughts leads to damp when couple with hot baths and cooking in a confined space.

An out of town friend who read the covid data most days told me yesterday that Brixton Hill West (which is something called a "MSOE") had the highest rate in England. Which given the neighbouring areas were far lower, had to be prison related. Which your article seems to confirm.

Coincidentally we finally had decided to order delivery food from the Clink but that's been cancelled

Yes it's very sad news about the prison. Also because I had a delivery coming on Friday, but that's now been cancelled of course and I'll have to eat my own food 😳. Hopefully they'll email me once they're back up and running and I'll be making an order immediately!

Vaccines for over 70s are available at Guys and St Thomas's for anyone in SE London. Call 02071884040.
Engaged a lot but just keep pressing re dial and with any luck you'll get through.
You'll need NHS no. DOB, address and mobile number to hand.

Not available for clinically extremely vulnerable yet.
Rang this number this morning and told they're only making appointments for over 75's. They do have spare appointments and it was quite easy to get through - about 5 redials.

Here is the list of options you can choose from - a lot of it is geared towards early detection in public facing roles, but "potential exposure" would probably cover those bus/off the cuff/acted irresponsibly senarios. There's also "visiting a vulnerbale person" as an option.

I was looking at how to book a test and when you book it says that you also need to book a follow up 3 days later. Any idea what the follow up is for?

I thought that you get the results via text the same day.

I went to the town hall twice last week to be tested, Tuesday and Friday. There seems to be plenty of available appointments when you are asked to select what time, so i dont feel i am taking them from more vulnerable people.

In and out within 10 minutes and results in under an hour. Negative both time

I went to the windmill centre twice and it was fast and painless.
I was also able to get the first jab yesterday through my GP, it was all rather efficient and fast. Most people there were under 60 too so presumably that means that they making good progress surge the elderly

I went to the windmill centre twice and it was fast and painless.
I was also able to get the first jab yesterday through my GP, it was all rather efficient and fast. Most people there were under 60 too so presumably that means that they making good progress surge the elderly
Clinically extremely vulnerable vaccinations started yesterday along with 70+. Possibly that? I got my jab this morning at Paxton Green - felt like the youngest by quite a stretch. Not just efficient with loads of staff stewarding but also thoroughly cheerful and friendly, down to someone congratulating you when you were done. Most impressed. And grateful.

I was looking at how to book a test and when you book it says that you also need to book a follow up 3 days later. Any idea what the follow up is for?

I thought that you get the results via text the same day.

I think (not certain though) it’s because the rapid tests are less accurate than the others so the follow up is to try to eliminate wrong results

So is the vaccine now being given to people with underlying health conditions ( vulnerable but not exremely vulnerable) in Lambeth?

Have they got that far down the priority list?

Clinically extremely vulnerable vaccinations started yesterday along with 70+. Possibly that? I got my jab this morning at Paxton Green - felt like the youngest by quite a stretch. Not just efficient with loads of staff stewarding but also thoroughly cheerful and friendly, down to someone congratulating you when you were done. Most impressed. And grateful.

Makes sense yes.

Idiots on our streets

Covid-denying conspiracy theorists target Brixton tube

If you're looking to watch some superspreader action, apparently the place to be is outside the UCKG evangelical church at 390 Brixton Road most evenings after 7.

Striking advice from my vicar - whose main job is in the Kings College Hospital chaplaincy.
Haven't seen him much in the last year -St Matthews Lilford Road mainly closed.

Got my first jab at the (Loughborough) Junction Pharmacy this morning. Was told anyone over 70 can walk in without an appoinment, although might be best to phone first to check.

Bucking the trend of cases going down are a handful of isolated south London wards where rates have gone up a lot, including Clapham Common. This is todays update.

Lets hope its not the 'South African' or some kind of other strain taking hold.

1612889583897.png

When it's small numbers it's easy for things like that to happen though. The number of cases has doubled, but it's only gone up by 14, which could represent, say, three households. The picture for Lambeth overall is a pretty solid decline.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 18.15.46.jpg

Back
Top Bottom