Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

A chemist on the High Road - they were closed and said no supply had been delivered that day. Wonder if it's linked to the letter that came out today that said supplies were about to run out? Hope I have better luck at the Oval on Saturday!
Ah I see. Gosh that's bad luck. Fingers crossed for Saturday!

Thanks. I was going to ask, the text (from something called 'Lambeth Hubs') asks me to go to Montgomery Hall in Kennington Oval for the jab. Does that sound kosher? I'm worried I may have been scammed!

Thanks. I was going to ask, the text (from something called 'Lambeth Hubs') asks me to go to Montgomery Hall in Kennington Oval for the jab. Does that sound kosher? I'm worried I may have been scammed!

Same text as I got - went and had my jab there Wednesday morning.

I got my vaccination! It's quite an operation they've got going on there at Montgomery Hall in Oval - loads of volunteers checking details, taking temperatures, beckoning people in and directing them around. Like dbs1fan, above, I was in and out in five minutes! :D

in and out in 5 minutes: ?
when I had mine there at the end of Feb they asked us all to sit in the waiting room for 15 minutes afterwards (presumably to check for adverse reactions?)

Is this no longer needed? Perhaps it is just for us "more mature" clients? Or only necessary for the Pfizer, which I had?
or is it just a turn of phrase?

in and out in 5 minutes: ?
when I had mine there at the end of Feb they asked us all to sit in the waiting room for 15 minutes afterwards (presumably to check for adverse reactions?)

Is this no longer needed? Perhaps it is just for us "more mature" clients? Or only necessary for the Pfizer, which I had?
or is it just a turn of phrase?

Everyone who has the Pfizer is asked to wait 15 minutes as I believe a couple of people had anaphylactic reactions early on. If you have the AZ I believe you only have to wait 15 minutes if you're driving as precaution but otherwise you can be on your way straight away.

Makes sense but weird (to me): thought it would be a sensible basic precaution to keep an eye on everyone for 15 minutes post jab

Ironic (is it, or is just a Morissettism?) that our European neighbours are claiming the AZ is death in a syringe yet we are sending people home straight off.

Not complaining and very grateful to have been given the first half of my immortality serum

Must say I'm no fan of the Tories but the Vaccine roll out has been very successful ...

By all means give credit where it is due:

"While Boris Johnson attributes the success of the rollout to greed and capitalism, the credit should actually go to scientists, experts, NHS staff and volunteers ..."

Who should be applauded for the vaccine programme? Certainly not the Tories

ExPCT0DWgAIylzL

(Source: Twitter)

Last edited:
By all means give credit where it is due:

"While Boris Johnson attributes the success of the rollout to greed and capitalism, the credit should actually go to scientists, experts, NHS staff and volunteers ..."

Who should be applauded for the vaccine programme? Certainly not the Tories

ExPCT0DWgAIylzL

(Source: Twitter)

EU has not shown itself to be able to do Vaccine roll out quickly. Spain for example is run by PSOE/Podemos left government.

On lock downs. In Madrid police were going around strictly enforcing lock down.

In this country there was not full lock down. Also I don't think in this country it would have worked. People will to some extent follow government rules but not all the time.

I also think how different governments across Europe will deal with the post pandemic period is going to be where political differences will emerge.

Here it could be some form of austerity again. Other European countries, within constraints of being in EU /Euro, might do things differently.

Bit of a different view from Larry Elliot in a guardian article I read few months ago.

The failure of EU to organise a Vaccine roll out is example of where not being in EU has meant a national government has been able to just get on with it.

Reactions: CH1
EU has not shown itself to be able to do Vaccine roll out quickly. Spain for example is run by PSOE/Podemos left government.

On lock downs. In Madrid police were going around strictly enforcing lock down.

In this country there was not full lock down. Also I don't think in this country it would have worked. People will to some extent follow government rules but not all the time.

I also think how different governments across Europe will deal with the post pandemic period is going to be where political differences will emerge.

Here it could be some form of austerity again. Other European countries, within constraints of being in EU /Euro, might do things differently.

Bit of a different view from Larry Elliot in a guardian article I read few months ago.

The failure of EU to organise a Vaccine roll out is example of where not being in EU has meant a national government has been able to just get on with it.
I agree. Just look at what is exercising France 24 in this time of emergency - the French government is entering the baguette as a candidate for UNESCO world heritage status! Bread of heaven: France submits the baguette as candidate for UNESCO heritage status

Mildly annoyed now about 2nd appointment for vaccination as it all seems a bit unclear. It should be 12 weeks and I think I'm just about week 10. But speaking to others locally or around the country many people are getting theirs earlier. I went via the GP but it wasn't possible then or since to book the follow-up and so if it is like the 1st one I'll randomly get a text message inviting me to book. I get that there are two systems, but I would feel slightly better if I at least knew the date of the next appointment, even if it was subject to change.

Mildly annoyed now about 2nd appointment for vaccination as it all seems a bit unclear. It should be 12 weeks and I think I'm just about week 10. But speaking to others locally or around the country many people are getting theirs earlier. I went via the GP but it wasn't possible then or since to book the follow-up and so if it is like the 1st one I'll randomly get a text message inviting me to book. I get that there are two systems, but I would feel slightly better if I at least knew the date of the next appointment, even if it was subject to change.
I'm at same stage and in same boat. My GP says they are not starting second jabs until mid April but that will be 12 weeks for me and I was about a month into the schedule so would not expect a jab for a few weeks after. That said, the card I received with my jab says I should keep wc something April free and expect a text nearer the time. So maybe it will be that simple.

I was getting close to 10 weeks but got a text a couple of days ago and am booked into the Oval vax centre on Saturday.

I'm at same stage and in same boat. My GP says they are not starting second jabs until mid April but that will be 12 weeks for me and I was about a month into the schedule so would not expect a jab for a few weeks after. That said, the card I received with my jab says I should keep wc something April free and expect a text nearer the time. So maybe it will be that simple.
Yup. It was that simple. Just got my text and booked a slot next week.

Just tried to book slot for a non-symptomatic test or pick up a home testing kit and no slots for either at the town hall until Wednesday :facepalm:

Edit: I made a mistake, there's slots for testing at the town hall centre from Monday, but no slots to collect home testing kits until Thursday now. Could be worse but was a bit of a surprise, have been used to being able to book and walk in same day.

Last edited:
Surge testing in Lambeth and Wandsworth for South African variant

Aside: I work in an office in Lambeth with people from min 4 boroughs & 3 counties, hardly anyone is planning to get a test because

'I only work here'
'I don't go anywhere except the supermarket'
'Of course you'll find cases if you do testing
'I've had my vaccine
'I think I had it last February'

Maybe some education or pro-active testing required?
Like visiting workplaces, industrial estates?

Surge testing in Lambeth and Wandsworth for South African variant

Aside: I work in an office in Lambeth with people from min 4 boroughs & 3 counties, hardly anyone is planning to get a test because

'I only work here'
'I don't go anywhere except the supermarket'
'Of course you'll find cases if you do testing
'I've had my vaccine
'I think I had it last February'

Maybe some education or pro-active testing required?
Like visiting workplaces, industrial estates?
I was involved in delivering and collecting test kits when Lambeth did the last surge testing. It was door to door in a few postcodes. Most people did and returned the test. I don't know why they are doing a borough (s) wide test now, if they only have clusters. Return rates will be much less surely?

Back
Top Bottom