Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

There appears to be an asymptomatic testing centre in the town hall accessed on the Acre Lane entrance. At least that's what a small sign taped to the door said, seems legit as there are security guards and ropes outside. I didnt stop to enquire further, but if this is indeed what it says it is, are local residents being made aware of its existence? I cant find much on the Lambeth website about it, nor from a google search.

I live about 5 minutes away and had no idea it existed, maybe its not for general public use?

eta & I had a council info flyer dropped through my door before Xmas when we went into Tier 3 (or 4), nothing mentioned but maybe it hasn't been there that long.

There appears to be an asymptomatic testing centre in the town hall accessed on the Acre Lane entrance. At least that's what a small sign taped to the door said, seems legit as there are security guards and ropes outside. I didnt stop to enquire further, but if this is indeed what it says it is, are local residents being made aware of its existence? I cant find much on the Lambeth website about it, nor from a google search.
It's almost impossible to find info on Covid testing around Lambeth. I thought the Somerleyton Road site had closed but it apparently it's back again.

I wet to the chemist in Loughborough Junction to see if I could get a flu jab. I normally pay. They had only NHS ones. Not any for sale. But as Im over 50 I got one free.

Chemist said three weeks ago it was changed and everyone over 50 can get flu jab. News to me.

Did it on the spot.

My GP texted me in November to say that I was eligible to get a free flu jab as I'm over 50. Like you Gramsci I decided to do it. I'm surprised not all GPS have contacted their patients to offer this. The more people that do it, the less strain on the NHS this winter.

I wet to the chemist in Loughborough Junction to see if I could get a flu jab. I normally pay. They had only NHS ones. Not any for sale. But as Im over 50 I got one free.

Chemist said three weeks ago it was changed and everyone over 50 can get flu jab. News to me.

Did it on the spot.

I had mine done in that chemist also. Went in to collect my medication. And the lovely lady asked me if I wanted it. Beats having to go to HHR to get it done.
Surprises me you don't feel a thing.

I missed an important delivery yesterday.
Does anyone know the current opening times for Wynne Rd sorting office?
I know they changed drastically during lockdowns.

My review of the Town Hall assembly rooms lateral flow asymptomatic testing:

Booked online yesterday, for this afternoon.

Arrived approx. 15mins before appointment. There was a short queue outside the building - its cold and windy so wrap up warm. Friendly but firm security guard managing the queue in order of appointment time slot. No serious delays, was let in about 5mins later than my appointme time.

We were let into the reception area one at a time, given a card with barcodes and instructions, and then it's through to a small waiting area with socially distanced seating for up to approx 6 people at at time. Follow the instructions on the card to register your barcode online or via QR Code (unsure how this would work without a smart phone though assume most people there have also booked via smart phone online) There was one staff member moving about to help if you had any issues with registering, which was sufficant.

Through to the test booths, friendly staff gave instructions, you swab your own tonsils and nose which is a bit uncomfortable but do-able even for a squeemish wimp like me. Pop the swab in a test tube provided and off you go.

Whole process once inside the building took about 10mins.

Result came back about 30mins later by text and email (you can chooise either or both). Happily negative :)

Last edited:
Does anyone understand how we are supposed to use these? What should trigger a visit? If it only is after being notified of possible exposure, how long after should infection be identifiable? If more generally, then how often?

There was no info on the booking page.

I listened in to a convo with a bloke stood outside the Brockwell Park one with a clipboard a few days ago - he was telling an interested passer-by that it was for people without symptoms, but would would prioritise keyworkers / frontline workers. (can't recall the exact term he used).

The interested passer-by asked if being a primary school teacher meant that she would be able to get a test, & he advised her to check on the website.

(I've had a look at the booking page, but didn't get as far as anywhere where you had to submit a reason for wanting a test. - Maybe there will be more info when they are fully up & running? )

Does anyone understand how we are supposed to use these? What should trigger a visit? If it only is after being notified of possible exposure, how long after should infection be identifiable? If more generally, then how often?

There was no info on the booking page.

Some info here:

Some info here:
Ta. Not sure that's any clearer though. I am working on the presumption that it is aimed at people who have good reason to believe that they have been exposed (e.g. live / work with someone infected), rather than the more general "may have covid" which might apply to anyone who has been out to the shops, caught a bus, hung about in the street in Herne Hill drinking pints from Covid Off the Cuff, for instance.

Ta. Not sure that's any clearer though. I am working on the presumption that it is aimed at people who have good reason to believe that they have been exposed (e.g. live / work with someone infected), rather than the more general "may have covid" which might apply to anyone who has been out to the shops, caught a bus, hung about in the street in Herne Hill drinking pints from Covid Off the Cuff, for instance.
Here is the list of options you can choose from - a lot of it is geared towards early detection in public facing roles, but "potential exposure" would probably cover those bus/off the cuff/acted irresponsibly senarios. There's also "visiting a vulnerbale person" as an option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-223133_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-223133_Chrome.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210105-223328_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-223328_Chrome.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 21

Whatever the rationale is (assuming there is one), my view is that the more people that get tested the better, so I’d encourage anyone to do so. Our family have all tested positive and it was only picked up because we were on the weekly ONS study. None of us had classic COVID symptoms.

Whatever the rationale is (assuming there is one), my view is that the more people that get tested the better, so I’d encourage anyone to do so. Our family have all tested positive and it was only picked up because we were on the weekly ONS study. None of us had classic COVID symptoms.
... assuming there is capacity for everyone and anyone to go in every week or so. That's why I ask. I'd happily test every couple of weeks but don't want to clog it up when there are clearly lots of folk at higher risk of exposure. Especially now nursery is closed so less risk there. And a one off test is obviously a nice snap shot but irrelevant a couple of days later.

B just found that she's immune. She was on a vaccine trial.

Any views about the 'safest' shops in the Brixton area during Lockdown3? I've just been infuriated by the Sainsburys on Brixton Hill where maskless teenagers were allowed in the shop and then to roam around despite being the group most likely to be carrying the new variant. This despite there being a burly 'security guard' on duty at the door. I wonder what he would have done had they tried to buy alcohol? Apparently in Sainsburys is fine to infect customers and staff with a potentially lethal virus, but woe betide any teenager who wants to get pissed!

Does anyone know if you have to be a Lambeth resident to use the walk-in centres?
(ie - did you have to provide a Lambeth address, or just a mobile number?)

eta - I've just followed the link & answered my own question - it says the testing centres are for anyone who 'lives or works in Lambeth' :thumbs:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom