Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

Any views about the 'safest' shops in the Brixton area during Lockdown3? I've just been infuriated by the Sainsburys on Brixton Hill where maskless teenagers were allowed in the shop and then to roam around despite being the group most likely to be carrying the new variant. This despite there being a burly 'security guard' on duty at the door. I wonder what he would have done had they tried to buy alcohol? Apparently in Sainsburys is fine to infect customers and staff with a potentially lethal virus, but woe betide any teenager who wants to get pissed!

I'd just pick somewhere with big aisles, & at the most unpopular time you can manage - if you have transport or can manage a quite long walk then the big Sainsburys in Vauxhall & Clapham are probably good.

Tesco Acre Lane is always very quiet first thing in the morning (pre 8:30am). I often go before work just to get it out of the way, and it's way less stressful than after work when everyone else seems to go.

Any views about the 'safest' shops in the Brixton area during Lockdown3? I've just been infuriated by the Sainsburys on Brixton Hill where maskless teenagers were allowed in the shop and then to roam around despite being the group most likely to be carrying the new variant. This despite there being a burly 'security guard' on duty at the door. I wonder what he would have done had they tried to buy alcohol? Apparently in Sainsburys is fine to infect customers and staff with a potentially lethal virus, but woe betide any teenager who wants to get pissed!

Im starting to get the hump with maskless people now when up until recently i was reasonably indifferent to it. Particularly when you have people wandering around a shop with no mask shouting into their mobile phone without a care in the world. Last week something like 150 people in the ward where i live, Acre Lane, alone tested positive. Now is the time people had some fucking respect for the virus, for other people who might catch it, and for the horrendously over worked NHS staff who are battling to treat and contain it.

Haven't noticed that in the Brixton Water Lane/ Tulse Hill Sainsburys - fairly respectful customers theres a staff member controling queues coming in and handing out free masks if you don't already have one. I do try to go at quiet times still.

Im starting to get the hump with maskless people now when up until recently i was reasonably indifferent to it. Particularly when you have people wandering around a shop with no mask shouting into their mobile phone without a care in the world. Last week something like 150 people in the ward where i live, Acre Lane, alone tested positive. Now is the time people had some fucking respect for the virus, for other people who might catch it, and for the horrendously over worked NHS staff who are battling to treat and contain it.
So agree with this. It's not like its August when only about 100 people were infected in the whole borough at any one time. Today's count is 9,434 - almost 3%! :eek: As usual though it's a failure of authority - the Government passes laws its won't enforce, the businesses wash their hands and the council won't do anything either. It's left to the police who probably have better things to be doing than trying to force people to wear masks. Where's the leadership?

Haven't noticed that in the Brixton Water Lane/ Tulse Hill Sainsburys - fairly respectful customers theres a staff member controling queues coming in and handing out free masks if you don't already have one. I do try to go at quiet times still.
Interesting. I actually walked past this one en route to the other - I thought it looked a bit too big! (maybe bigger's better?)

Yep - I agree. Even more so recently even though slightly busier. I use their self serve app and can be in an out in no time.

Was this the one across from brixton water lane? I stopped going there 1st lockdown as I always ended up very stressed. The one at the top if the hill is better IME.

Yep - I agree. Even more so recently even though slightly busier. I use their self serve app and can be in an out in no time.
They have a self-serve app? Does it work on laptop/pc?

Was this the one across from brixton water lane? I stopped going there 1st lockdown as I always ended up very stressed. The one at the top if the hill is better IME.
That's the one. It hasn't been too bad before, but it just pisses me off so much that they don't challenge maskless types. People would get the idea very quickly if they weren't let in the shop!

They have a self-serve app? Does it work on laptop/pc?
I don't imagine so. You scan stuff with your phone and upload at the till.
But they have online shopping, I think click and collect and also an app called chop chop which delivers in an hour. For a minimum spend and fee.

My review of the Town Hall assembly rooms lateral flow asymptomatic testing:

Booked online yesterday, for this afternoon.

Arrived approx. 15mins before appointment. There was a short queue outside the building - its cold and windy so wrap up warm. Friendly but firm security guard managing the queue in order of appointment time slot. No serious delays, was let in about 5mins later than my appointme time.

We were let into the reception area one at a time, given a card with barcodes and instructions, and then it's through to a small waiting area with socially distanced seating for up to approx 6 people at at time. Follow the instructions on the card to register your barcode online or via QR Code (unsure how this would work without a smart phone though assume most people there have also booked via smart phone online) There was one staff member moving about to help if you had any issues with registering, which was sufficant.

Through to the test booths, friendly staff gave instructions, you swab your own tonsils and nose which is a bit uncomfortable but do-able even for a squeemish wimp like me. Pop the swab in a test tube provided and off you go.

Whole process once inside the building took about 10mins.

Result came back about 30mins later by text and email (you can chooise either or both). Happily negative :)
Had a test today at the Brixton Windmill site. Easy enough to do, some of the tech side was slow but generally an easy process. Going back on Monday for the recommend follow up. There’s also no limit how often you wish to be tested. Negative test for me, very reassuring.

Some pics

Handful of anti-lockdown protesters march through Brixton, Sat 9th Jan 2021

I see they are opposing the "Great Reset"

Having looked this up it is idea from the uber Capitalist World Economic Forum supported by Prince Charles.

Great idea from the WEF is to make Capitalism nicer post pandemic. The alliance of worlds top capitalists and Priince Charles is enough to put me off.

So as much as Im against the anti mask lot I can see where they the are coming from.

The privileged( Prince Charles) and wealthy ( WEF) will make sure this crisis works to their benefit.

Like the last one did.

The idea that this pandemic is about "us" pulling together is sadly not the case the uber wealthy ( WEF capitalists) and aristocracy - Prince Charles -will make sure the pandemic does not affect their power and wealth.

How the 'great reset' of capitalism became an anti-lockdown conspiracy | Quinn Slobodian

If the great reset tells us anything about political reality, it’s that corporate elites can’t win legitimacy through vacuous initiatives. People recoil, it turns out, at being treated like buggy hard drives that can be reset from above. Changing the conditions of people’s lives and the causes of political alienation will take far more than the WEF’s tone-deaf video about the opportunities of a pandemic, fronted by the royal family

Last edited:
Vaccines for over 70s are available at Guys and St Thomas's for anyone in SE London. Call 02071884040.
Engaged a lot but just keep pressing re dial and with any luck you'll get through.
You'll need NHS no. DOB, address and mobile number to hand.

Not available for clinically extremely vulnerable yet.

I'd just pick somewhere with big aisles, & at the most unpopular time you can manage - if you have transport or can manage a quite long walk then the big Sainsburys in Vauxhall & Clapham are probably good.
I don't worry about the other customers if my FFP3 mask is nice and snug. But it would be easy to catch a dose if the mask slips.

Im having a shopping problem.

Tumble dryer packed up over Christmas.

Been trying to get a new one. Argos and Currys only do online sales. Tried several times. All I get on both websites is delivery unavailable in your area/ collection is not available.

Anyone got any advice on this? Any other places I could get new tumble dryer? ( I dont want second hand)

I rang up Currys and they said delivery unavailable means not in stock.

But pretty well all different models Ive looked at online say this.

Its very frustrating I cannot go to a shop to sort this out.

Been trying to get a new one. Argos and Currys only do online sales. Tried several times. All I get on both websites is delivery unavailable in your area/ collection is not available.

Anyone got any advice on this? Any other places I could get new tumble dryer? ( I dont want second hand)

AO.com are generally very reliable.

There's a place and Station Road in one of the arches opposite Pop. Think they used to be on Atlantic Road who are open and theycould probably arrange a delivery, pus they are a local business.

There's a place and Station Road in one of the arches opposite Pop. Think they used to be on Atlantic Road who are open and theycould probably arrange a delivery, pus they are a local business.

I looked there and they did not have condensor dryer.

AO.com
Pay them the extra to take away the old one and packaging if recycling where you are is not perfect

As a slight derail - do you need a tumble drier?

An electric de-humidifier (probably, I think ) uses a lot less energy and really speeds up the drying of clothes on a rack. It's amazing how much water is sucked out if you turn it on next to a rack of washed clothes. Also a game changer if, like most places, your home has condensation at this time of year.
We have stopped using tumble drier almost completely when it is not practical to hang clothes outside. Because de-humidifier.

ETA. Probreeze are decent - have bought a couple. This will do a decent sized flat for £170: PB-06-UK - ProBreeze 12L Compressor Dehumidifier UK V2 for 12L Dehumidifier | For Large Damp Rooms | Pro Breeze )
Further edit : Look at the £400 littering fine thread and you can get an idea of the size :eek: of the packaging ))

Last edited:
Drying rack and a electric de-humidifier if you have a problem with condensation and if you have any outside space that's covered, use it. Laundry will benefit even in these winter months. Then bring the rack inside and let the ambient heat that your radiators might produce to finish of the drying process.That's got to beat running a dryer.

Been googling this and the pandemic is affecting supply chains. Factories closed due to pandemic in different part of the world mean some electrical goods are in short supply.

One of the problems of modern globalised business. Don't make much in this country so along comes a pandemic and shows weakness of how goods are manufactured. Long supply chains.

Back
Top Bottom