Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

If I go into greggs and get one vegan and one meat sausage roll, and have them both for my lunch, then I can't say that half my lunch was vegan, but if I just have the vegan one for lunch, and the meat one for dinner, then I can say that I had a vegan lunch?
yes

I don't object to eating less meat, I welcome that.

What I object to is them calling a burger containing meat '50% vegan'. It isn't. It's not vegan at all.

Putting it in a green bun is just pure shite and a marketing gimmick.

James Brown, retail director at BrewDog told Metro.co.uk: ‘Across our bars we’ve seen a growing demand for alternative proteins, and we already stock vegan friendly options – but some of our customers are still unsure about taking the leap into 100% non-animal based proteins. ‘Our HYBRID burger was developed to meet our sceptics in the middle between beef and Beyond Meat. Hopefully converting more people towards a flexitarian diet in the future.’

In what way is there anything to object to this as a goal, given that they already offer two other purely vegan burgers in any case? Why is that a 'gimmick'? Read what they said very carefully...

brewdog.JPG

Why are people getting so upset about this? Presumably because we 'hate' Brewdog and so we can't admit that they have done something potentially positive (see my earlier post about being vegan curious).

What harm is this causing - genuine question?

The Metro describes the burger as 50% vegan, by the way.

So the Metro describe it that way but Brewdog don't? So your problem is with the Metro then and not Brewdog. It's very easy to get caught up in semantics like this but it is just noise. Ignore all that shit about what 50% vegan means. It is a total red herring and rather distracting from the fact that they have introduced something that might get some people eating less meat.

James Brown, retail director at BrewDog told Metro.co.uk: ‘Across our bars we’ve seen a growing demand for alternative proteins, and we already stock vegan friendly options – but some of our customers are still unsure about taking the leap into 100% non-animal based proteins. ‘Our HYBRID burger was developed to meet our sceptics in the middle between beef and Beyond Meat. Hopefully converting more people towards a flexitarian diet in the future.’

In what way is there anything to object to this as a goal, given that they already offer two other purely vegan burgers in any case? Why is that a 'gimmick'? Read what they said very carefully...

View attachment 185969

Why are people getting so upset about this? Presumably because we 'hate' Brewdog and so we can't admit that they have done something potentially positive (see my earlier post about being vegan curious).

What harm is this causing - genuine question?
So the Metro describe it that way but Brewdog don't? So your problem is with the Metro then and not Brewdog. It's very easy to get caught up in semantics like this but it is just noise. Ignore all that shit about what 50% vegan means. It is a total red herring and rather distracting from the fact that they have introduced something that might get some people eating less meat.
Have a go at skyscraper101 for starting this, not me. They described it as 50% vegan first, not me.

... this is not a serious attempt to get anyone to eat less meet. It's a marketing gimmick ...
Duh! :facepalm:

You’d almost think they’re a pub chain rather than the National Vegan Council.

As disco says though, it’s doing no harm. In fact, if it’s getting up the hooters of people like you and one or two others on this thread, it’s fucking fantastic!

Here's what they say in their blog
So for those who are or want to go vegan, every single BrewDog Bar rocks a menu where half the options are vegetarian and 25% vegan, as a key pillar of our food philosophy. Now for those who want to reduce their intake and their footprint on the environment, we have the Hybrid Burger.

Sandwiched between two green matcha tea buns, the 50/50 Hybrid burger is surrounded by 100% vegan ingredients. Melted vegan Gouda cheese, crispy onion straws and a potato rosti are there to help introduce more meat-eaters to the world of plant based dining, while further increasing the sustainability of the burger. This is about achievable, everyday changing, any time you need it. As we are in the grip of a climate emergency, the more people who eat less meat the better. That is why we have launched this fresh take on flexitarianism.

TAKING A STAND FOR THE ENVIRONMENT WITH THE BREWDOG HYBRID BURGER

Back
Top Bottom