Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Love the fact that in scenarios like this, nobody ever wants to accept that perfectly logical reason for introducing such a thing (e.g. to help cut down on meat intake/production) might actually be, erm, true. But that can't be right, it's definitely a conspiracy by people who are "bad".

I'm trying to cut down my meat intake. I'd try this, and knowing myself, I can see how it might help me down the road to eating pure vegan burgers instead.

All the rage online about 'it's got to be 100% vegan or nothing grrr!!!' (see the hilarious comments in the Daily Record article) entirely misses the point about managed behaviour change being a gradual process for much of the population. It's all just noise, and it isn't helpful.

Oh, and I like Brewdog bars. They always have the AF beers in stock and they are only £2 a can (in the last couple I went to at least, Edinburgh and Leeds). So pretty good value for money I'd say. Most other bars charge at least £4.50 a can IME. So good for them for providing an affordable option.

Last edited:
I've never drunk a Brewdog beer in my life but all of you lot ranting on about how they're bad/good they are is making me think that the next time I am in our local Tesco, I will have to pick one up just to give it a try and see for myself how good/bad it might be. Even if I hate it they haven't lost anything since they don't have to refund me.

Love the fact that in scenarios like this, nobody ever wants to accept that perfectly logical reason for introducing such a thing (e.g. to help cut down on meat intake/production) might actually be, erm, true. But that can't be right, it's definitely a conspiracy by people who are "bad".

I'm trying to cut down my meat intake. I'd try this, and knowing myself, I can see how it might help me down the road to eating pure vegan burgers instead.

All the rage online about 'it's got to be 100% vegan or nothing grrr!!!' (see the hilarious comments in the Daily Record article) entirely misses the point about managed behaviour change being a gradual process for much of the population. It's all just noise, and it isn't helpful.

Oh, and I like Brewdog bars. They always have the AF beers in stock and they are only £2 a can (in the last couple I went to at least, Edinburgh and Leeds). So pretty good value for money I'd say. Most other bars charge at least £4.50 a can IME. So good for them for providing an affordable option.
I agree, I think in this case it's just badwagon jumping. And as a meat eater who is living with a vegetarian I think getting people to cut down is going to produce better results in the short-mid term then expecting people to go fully veg. I don't think this particular burger helps much in that respect as it seems to be a regular meat burger with a vegan patty added to it.

But I had some mince the other day that was half veg and half meat and it worked great - as well as any other mince - in my spag bol.

Still back to the main topic - BrewDog - shite beer, shite pubs, run by wankers.

Last edited:
I've never drunk a Brewdog beer in my life but all of you lot ranting on about how they're bad/good they are is making me think that the next time I am in our local Tesco, I will have to pick one up just to give it a try and see for myself how good/bad it might be. Even if I hate it they haven't lost anything since they don't have to refund me.
Go for it, I don't think the hate here is that much with them producing bad beer though (it's more overpriced 'meh' than anything). More their culture as a company.

I agree, I think in this case it's just badwagon jumping. And as a meat eater who is living with a vegetarian I think getting people to cut down is going to produce better results in the short-mid term then expecting people to go fully veg. I don't think this particular burger helps much in that respect as it seems to be a regular meat burger with a vegan patty added to it.

It's raising awareness and getting people to think about it. Given that they already offer two other vegan burgers on their menu, it is targeting those that are wavering or a vegan-curious (like myself).

It's actually very clever. And all the hysterical types tweeting about how it's not vegan and you've got to be vegan or not vegan are missing the point by quite some distance. a) It isn't vegan and it isn't meant to be, and b) it isn't aimed at vegans, it is aimed at the vegan curious.

I'm not convinced that talking about this company on Urban, especially in the largely negative way it happens, really does anything significant to raise their profile. I reckon all that marketing money they spend would be the main driver. Maybe they're getting boosted by "influencers" on social media with millions of followers. How many people are active on Urban these days? Especially since web forums are old hat now.

I'm quite sure that they spend a lot on marketing, because they sure as fuck don't spend a lot making their actual beer. Mediocre at best.

Also, if all publicity is good publicity, then why do companies exert so much effort in avoiding negative feedback?

I don't object to eating less meat, I welcome that.

What I object to is them calling a burger containing meat '50% vegan'. It isn't. It's not vegan at all.
:confused:

They're not calling it a vegan burger though. They're calling it a hybrid burger, and it IS 50% vegan. You'd have to be a bit of a moron not to understand that the other 50% is meat.

Last edited:
You can't have an item that is 50% vegan, like you can't be a little bit pregnant. It's marketing based on the absurdity of the idea. Not that I give a lot of a shit tbh; there's a lot of marketing around.
If I go into greggs and get one vegan and one meat sausage roll, and have them both for my lunch, then I can't say that half my lunch was vegan, but if I just have the vegan one for lunch, and the meat one for dinner, then I can say that I had a vegan lunch? Or does eating the meat one mean that I didn't have a vegan lunch, because I'm clearly not vegan?

If I go into greggs and get one vegan and one meat sausage roll, and have them both for my lunch, then I can't say that half my lunch was vegan, but if I just have the vegan one for lunch, and the meat one for dinner, then I can say that I had a vegan lunch? Or does eating the meat one mean that I didn't have a vegan lunch, because I'm clearly not vegan?
You're normally good at this stuff but you've fucked this one up. Fridgemagnet clearly refers to an item (singular) yet here you buy two different items. Fucked it.

You're normally good at this stuff but you've fucked this one up. Fridgemagnet clearly refers to an item (singular) yet here you buy two different items. Fucked it.
My lunch was the singular item. And if you're going to tell me that my lunch doesn't count as singular because it contains multiple components then I'm going to say the same about the burger.

My lunch was the singular item. And if you're going to tell me that my lunch doesn't count as singular because it contains multiple components then I'm going to say the same about the burger.
A burger is a burger, two sausage rolls are two sausage rolls. See how one is singular (can I have a burger please) and the other isn't (two sausage rolls please)

Anyway, even if you break the burger down to its components, the patty is half beef mince and half beyond meat mince. It's not two patties.

Back
Top Bottom