Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Has anyone mentioned that they seem to have their sights on entry to the coffee shop market? Planning is in for a couple of cafes in Aberdeenshire but not yet under the Brewdog name/brand, so it's likely a test exercise and they seem to have taken over a small live music/art venue in the city but whilst all admin goes to Brewdog it still operates under its old name/image (twee/foody/arty).

Has anyone mentioned that they seem to have their sights on entry to the coffee shop market? Planning is in for a couple of cafes in Aberdeenshire but not yet under the Brewdog name/brand, so it's likely a test exercise and they seem to have taken over a small live music/art venue in the city but whilst all admin goes to Brewdog it still operates under its old name/image (twee/foody/arty).
Interesting

Forgive my cynicism but this is a company that has just been taken to Employment Tribunal (and lost) for refusing reasonable accommodations to an employee who was losing his sight. That's not the hallmark of a caring employer.

Plus at least one of those benefits is only available to staff at the Ellon HQ. Would not be surprised if others are limited.

These guys are rapacious. They give no fucks about staff loyalty, women or those with disabilities.

Nowhere is safe. Surprised it has taken them this long, given the hipster vibrancy of Brixton.

Brewdog isn’t really a hipster thing, it’s for the works night out crowd/students, people who don’t do much politics. The only people I know who are vaguely enthusiastic about Brewdog are shit metaller/commercial punk pop kids, the sort that think having a flesh tunnel or some tats is sticking it to the man, painted rebellion.

Hipster twats are too into ‘authenticity’ to go near this sort of chain pub.

Thank god. It's murder trying to find a cup of coffee these days :rolleyes:

It’s the use of the gym - at the ellon hq, it’s pretty reasonable that this can only be used at the Ellon hq.

Alex
There's a gym at the HQ because the that's the site the founders work out of. It suits them to have a gym there - if they didn't want one, but the rest of the workforce did, it wouldn't matter, there would be no gym.

They don't offer subsidised gym memberships to their pub staff, do they?

I reiterate, they got taken to tribunal for not following the law for a worker who was losing his sight. They give nils fucks about any of the workforce, and if you think a few words on a website makes them a great employer, you are respectfully deluded.

I reiterate, they got taken to tribunal for not following the law for a worker who was losing his sight. They give nils fucks about any of the workforce, and if you think a few words on a website makes them a great employer, you are respectfully deluded.

Sure someone in their hr massively fucked up the tribunal thing is epically incompetent, but paying living wage, 6% pension contributions, and above statutory maternity is a very expensive way of giving “nil fucks” about their workforce and probably makes them have the best staff t’s and c’s of any retailer in Brixton.

To be very clear, I don’t like their beer or their pubs - but I find the daily mail style headlines about any change in Brixton equally boring.

Alex

Last edited:
They don't offer subsidised gym memberships to their pub staff, do they?
According to the website they do :-
At BrewDog, we are committed to promoting the health and wellbeing of our crew. For those based up at our HQ in Ellon, we have recently installed a brand new, state of the art, shiny employee gym. For those based in one of our other offices, remotely or in one of our bars, we offer discounts on gym memberships too!

More details would be interesting if it saved 50% it would be a decent perk, on the other hand my former employer offered discounts on gym memberships too, it saved me £1 a month at my preferred gym after I showed my ID badge, there was an unexpected benefit in that it gave Mrs MickiQ a major fit of the giggles.

So is everyone OK with Brewdog actively supporting and financing private health care?
Yes why not? what I have an issue with is the Govt using availability of private healthcare as an excuse to run down public health care and indeed just running it down anyway.

So is everyone OK with Brewdog actively supporting and financing private health care?

It’s not clear if they pay or just have a group plan someone could pay to opt into, the wording is ambiguous.

Most decent employers offer healthcare.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom