Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaking

or just suit yourself and ignore good advice... up to you really
If you read the whole thread you might have come across the post where I took advice and increased the amount of flour which did improve the strength of the dough.

In fact it is #16 where I take Idaho's advice and add more flour. Subsequently I took on board several suggestions to reduce proving times.

I am open to suggestions but there is no point simply repeating things others have said and which I have already considered and acted on.

Well, I wasn't gonna read the whole thread again just in case you mentioned that you already tried it. You could have just said.

I've been making my own bread for some time, but just bought a loaf from Tesco in-store bakery cos I was too busy to bake yesterday.
Kinell! What foamy shite is this, masquerading as bread?

It looks nice yeah, all coated in toasted birdseed and that, but squishes under the weight of the bread-knife when I try to slice it. Baked, crusted foam and costs more than a whole bag of bread flour, ffs!

Shite.

Avoid!

One christmas we had managed to misjudge the amount of bread we would use and had to resort to some tesco express bakery loaves at the last minute.

Never ever try to make bread sauce with such a poor excuse for bread! Grey, gloopy wallpaper paste was the result and it was binned before the meal was served.

Don't know why I didn't expect it tbh. :facepalm:

hmm, interesting! sounded gross but then again, many things sound odd (ex: gravy) until you've tried and gotten used to them.

It looks good in the picture.

Anyone tried either a traditional style rye bread or making there own naan? Got a few days of this week and fancy a go at making both of them. :)

Do people use vitamin C for wholemeal loaves? Does it make much difference? And where's the best place to get it from if it does?

It took 12 days to do a loaf?? I'm sorry but I would SO faff that up!! My short term memory is rubbish.
I'll stick to my breadmaker I'm afraid. Load it and walk away til it goes BEEP!

Sourdough is an absolute bitch but its well worth it.

edit: ooh, necromatic reply, ooh

Anyone tried either a traditional style rye bread or making there own naan? Got a few days of this week and fancy a go at making both of them. :)

I make a nice Chilli Naan, instead of sticking it in the oven I heat a flat cast iron pan right the fuck up and throw it on when its ready and it rises and pops just right (most of the time)

Naan is easy, cast iron pan is probably the best way to go about it.

100% rye isn't difficult, per se, it's just an ungodly mess to handle. At least you don't have to worry overly about under/over-proving. A brick is a brick. With the added benefit that the raw dough would make an excellent mortar, as well.

Naan is easy, cast iron pan is probably the best way to go about it.

100% rye isn't difficult, per se, it's just an ungodly mess to handle. At least you don't have to worry overly about under/over-proving. A brick is a brick. With the added benefit that the raw dough would make an excellent mortar, as well.

Ha. Maybe I will add some normal flour when making rye. My first proper loaf was soughdough and third rye and it was tasty.

Sourdough is an absolute bitch but its well worth it.

I make a nice Chilli Naan, instead of sticking it in the oven I heat a flat cast iron pan right the fuck up and throw it on when its ready and it rises and pops just right (most of the time)

I don't have any serious pans like that sadly. I'm trying to resist what I normally do with something when I start which is buy loads of kit. Figure if I can make some decent stuff with what I have then I'll have a better handle on what I need.

Ha. Maybe I will add some normal flour when making rye. My first proper loaf was soughdough and third rye and it was tasty.

I don't have any serious pans like that sadly. I'm trying to resist what I normally do with something when I start which is buy loads of kit. Figure if I can make some decent stuff with what I have then I'll have a better handle on what I need.

You should be ok with a flat bottomed frying pan to test it at first.

My usual loaf is a Polish light rye. About 1/3 rye. Still fluffy enough for a sandwich, but has that sharpness from the rye and will last a week without going stale. Truly excellent toast, as well. I find it's easier to get pure rye from Lidl. Bonus advantage that it's pre-sliced, because 100% rye is both difficult to slice and you want it quite thinly done.

So that was my second loaf. 400g Dark Rye and 150g of white. Threw a bit of milk and yougurt in. Didn't have time to do it with wild yeast, but I stuck some starter in as well as the normal yeast and just waited a few hours. It's very dense, but rather nice, but all bread is when it's very fresh.

IMG_20170615_175906433.jpg

Starting to consider a food mixer already. :D

Here's what I do and turn out a pretty good sourdough loaf every week.

1. Take starter out of fridge and allow to return to room temperature. It will start to bubble when it is ready.
2. Measure 500g of bread flour into a mixing bowl (my go-to brand is Dove's Farm, but sometimes I use Lidl's own brand and sometimes I mix in a little rye flour or smoked wholegrain flour)
3. Add 1.5 tsp of salt and mix
4. Add 60g of starter and 375g of water (sometimes a little less depending on humidity) and mix well.
5. Cover with clingfilm or place in a plastic bag and secure with a clip
6. Leave to prove overnight for about 18 hours
7. Remove from bowl onto floured service and stretch and fold over a few times (I fold both edges into the middle, and then in half again, if that makes sense)
8. Place in well floured basket, cover with tea towel and leave to rise for 2-3 hours.
9. Place a Le Creuset cast iron pot with lid in the oven turned up to its highest temperature and allow to heat up for 30 minutes
10. Place dough in pot and put the lid on, return to oven and switch temperature down slightly to about 220C
11. After about half an hour, remove the lid and switch the temperature down again. Let cook for another 20 minutes or so.

This method will give you a fantastic crust, and it's a pretty easy technique once you get the timings right. You will also get a nice open texture and a glossy, chewy crumb. :)

I'm going to try this one next I think. :)

Silly question I know, but what's the difference (or rather what's happening) between the very long wait under the bag and the time in the basket. What's the advantage of a basket (I don't actually have one yet).

I'm going to try this one next I think. :)

Silly question I know, but what's the difference (or rather what's happening) between the very long wait under the bag and the time in the basket. What's the advantage of a basket (I don't actually have one yet).
I think the second basket proving is mainly about forming the loaf and slightly drying out the crust before baking.

To be honest I sometimes forget or don't have time to do the basket stage and just scrape it into the hot casserole dish (putting some flour in the bowl to flour the outside) and it works.

I used to often use a proportion of rye flour, usually less than 50% but have stopped for some reason.

Ok. I've just been dumping it in the bread tin. Trying the no kneed method and to mix it up I did it most with strong white. Made the dough last night and it bloody huge this morning! Hopefully will make a tasty loaf as it's going to be big.

On an unrelated note what seeds to people use for bread and where do you get them. Had nothing in Aldi yesterday, can see it being the kind of thing supermarkets charge loads for.

Well the naan kind of worked, as in it tasted better then those ones out packets, but it was an absolute nightmare to work with. Even with copious amounts of oil on my board and rolling pin it kept sticking. Gave up and shaped them out by hand, which was sub optimal. Is this to much liquid? I've actually noticed all my doughs seem very sticky. I've got no reference points though, but it's why I'm trying Ms T method on the first page today.

Rising is not the problem, all of my doughs have risen beautifully. But none of them will retain that height when tipped onto the baking tray. It is at this point that they deflate, no matter how quick and skilfully I turn them out.

Now that I skip that step, proving in a loaf tin and then just pop it in the oven it keeps it's height.
I appreciate this is well old, but working the gluten can also make a massive difference to loaf structure and / or its ability to hold itself upright.

Folding regularly during a bulk proof, and pre-shaping (and leaving to rest on a surface before a final shaping), can both make a huge difference to a loaf's ability to contain itself and avoid undesirable spooge. Pre-shaping and final shaping also kinda knit a loaf's insides together. With gluten.

I often have doughs that start out looking pretty much liquid, but by the third or fourth fold they're staying together pretty darned well, and by the time they hit the banneton they're tight / well knitted together.

This obvs doesn't apply to low gluten flours, like rye. But for anything remotely strong, it makes a world of difference (and allows far more hydrated, and so better risen, loaves).

On an unrelated note what seeds to people use for bread and where do you get them. Had nothing in Aldi yesterday, can see it being the kind of thing supermarkets charge loads for.
If you're going to be doing this on a regular basis, it's worth browsing bakerybits and - for some things - eBay. eBay is particularly good for spices; I use a load of cinnamon (including in fruit loaves), and can get a quarter of a kg of top end sticks for about a quarter of the price of supermarket.

Bakerybits sell a fair few seed types by the kilo. They do work out cheaper in bulk.

I'm sure there are ways of getting them cheaper, too - I'm thinking of approaching our local baker :hmm:

My dad makes the best bloody bread I've ever had. Asked him for a basic recipe recently. He obliged. He's thorough if nothing else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170424-132021.jpg
    Screenshot_20170424-132021.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 20
This morning's loaf had some seriously fucked up oven spring.

It's a bog standard strong white (with SOME more wholesome, but not much). Slightly underproved.

All well and good.

But it's arse has bounced so it looks like a f*%#ing UFO. Haven't seen that before!

My phone camera is fucked ATM, may replace the attached with a pic from the selfie cam later. If I cba.

IMG_8214.JPG

I am making a semolina loaf. 150g semolina, 850 of strong white. (Waitrose sell superfine semolina, which is nae bother. Sburies is pretty darned gritty tho - not sure I'd risk it).

The levels of gluten are through the fucking roof. It's been bulk proofing and autolysing since 16:30, it's only on its second or third fold, and it's like a f*^%ing tennis ball.

I feel I should really try this with an 80-90% hydration next time, bc it can blates hold frankly ludicrous structures.

I think that getting up 2hrs earlier whilst the toddler is away is not helping my loaves. I should probably leave them out for half an hour before putting them in the fridge :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom