Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

So I've bought myself a breadmaker.

I made a bog standard white loaf by hand the other day and it was fucking superb. Does a breadmaker add anything other than making it less time and effort consuming to make?

Not really.

I'm sure you could make better loaves by hand if you had the knack and the time, and you're a bit limited to what the finished loaf looks like with a machine... you can't plait it or anything.

But the convenience of a machine is great :)
nope but for me time and effort were the key reasons I bought one. Yes I can make my own bread, I've done it lots. But if the truth be told I never did, didn't have enough time or was too knackered so I ended up buying shop bought loaves all the time

so it was worth it for me :) you can add a timer when you make it yourself

as mr steev says it's a fairly boring shape but you can get it to prepare the dough for you and then you shape it, but since most of the time I'm looking to have bread for butties or cheese on toast that isn't a problem :)

Do they do one with a USB bread cam?

I'm trying to think of Panasonic equipment away from the TV studio at work.

So back to my humble £20 biffinet from lidl. What's a good recipe to start with?

First loaf done, and oh my god its only fantastic! Its about a million times better than shop bought, and far better than my previous Aldi machine. And this is only the rapid white setting! I'm very excited, can't decide what to make next!:D

I got a Panasonic 255 for Christmas and use it 3 or 4 times a week - no more shop bread for me thanks. This thing changes your life. Just bread and water is a treat.

I bought myself a Panasonic 255 today.:D I have a rapid loaf on already, what should I make next?

First loaf done, and oh my god its only fantastic! Its about a million times better than shop bought, and far better than my previous Aldi machine. And this is only the rapid white setting! I'm very excited, can't decide what to make next!:D
you must make the one with oil and oregano, and the four cheese one and the one with bacon

seriously it won't have chance to get cold :oops: :D

OK these are the ones I recommend seriously :D

curry & mango - makes ace bread for beans on toast :D
pizza loaf
cheese & bacon
pesto and pine nut & the maple and pecan ones are lush still warm with butter
all under the italian section on page 19 :oops:

Hmm... all the bread makers I have seen make poxy little loaves. :( Do any make bloomer sized loaves???

Hmm... all the bread makers I have seen make poxy little loaves. :( Do any make bloomer sized loaves???
Bigger isn't neccessarily better .

My wholemeal loaves weigh a good kilo - mind you they have a lot of birdseed in 'em.

OK these are the ones I recommend seriously :D

curry & mango - makes ace bread for beans on toast :D
pizza loaf
cheese & bacon
pesto and pine nut & the maple and pecan ones are lush still warm with butter
all under the italian section on page 19 :oops:

What is this book? My machine is out of a jumble sale and I didn't get a book. Where can I get recipes? :eek:

we bought the panasonic with the nuts and seeds tray for grinder's parents last xmas. the use it all the time, and the bread is delicious. It's on my list for when we move, but at the moment it'd hace to be stacked on top of the microwave with the kitchen scales balanced on top. No room.

I bought myself a Panasonic 255 today.:D I have a rapid loaf on already, what should I make next?

A proper loaf - And let it sit on timer for a couple of hours before the cycle starts - Brings all the ingredients to the seme temp.

The quality will be a whole lot better.

Does using a breadmaker work out cheaper? :hmm: I might bring ours out of hibernation.

Not for cheap-shit CBP bread but for a decent quality loaf, yes.

Last time I did the calculating, I reckoned between 45 & 60p per loaf for the breadmaker, depending. Which compared well to the £1-3 for a better quality bit of CBP or something from a craft baker.

45 - 60p sounds like a deal to me, will put yeast on my shopping list... Sunday will mark the return of the breadmaker.... now, where to put it?! :D

maybe :D but need to save pennies every way I can at the mo, so if it'll fit on the side somewhere and I can make a decent loaf, it'll stay out.

If it has been sitting unused for a while, give the pan/paddle a clean with some hot water and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar. Simply fil it right up and let it sit for a while. - Works really well & you would be surprised how much crap gets attached to a non-stick coating. :eek:

Get some fresh flour - Any you have had sitting for a long time will be a bit stale. Poorer flavour and rising. The Dove's Farm range of yeast is amongst the best I've found too, Lakeland will have it, although I've recently seen it in Sainsbury.

If it has been sitting unused for a while, give the pan/paddle a clean with some hot water and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar. Simply fil it right up and let it sit for a while. - Works really well & you would be surprised how much crap gets attached to a non-stick coating. :eek:

Get some fresh flour - Any you have had sitting for a long time will be a bit stale. Poorer flavour and rising. The Dove's Farm range of yeast is amongst the best I've found too, Lakeland will have it, although I've recently seen it in Sainsbury.
Will definitely give it a wash before I use it again, and you're right probably need some new flour too! :)

Back
Top Bottom