Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaker - which ones are worth buying?

Yeah, they're huge! My house is so cold that I have to prove bread in the oven, so a bread maker would make life easier, but I don't have the space.
This one has a 31x21.5cm footprint

The one I bought has 39.9x24.8cm footprint so a bit smaller. I guess they can only be so small given what they do.

They can live anywhere, mind. The bucket comes out, you take it to the kitchen, fill it up, walk it back. Ours lives in the utility room, but it could happily go under the stairs or in the lounge (if you don't mind the smell of baking bread in your lounge!)

I've got 1kg of fermipan yeast so that'll keep me going for ages given how little is needed per loaf.
It may be a mark of covid... a locked-down colleague accidentally ended up with 5 KILOS of Fermipan :D

I'm ashamed to say I used to use a whole sachet of yeast however much flour I used :oops:
So back in the summer all I could find was a 500g can of French stuff - initially annoying because you have to mix it with body-temperature water and gee it up, but ironically I now use half as much because I weigh it - 1g per 100g of flour and I make an effort to swirl in some flour ... doubtless assuming I ever get to move house, I may even start making sour dough :hmm:

The can should last me the full two years through careful decanting through a very small hole ...

yeasty.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the Fermipan to the sachets as I find it gives a more consistent and gentle rise. Sometimes sachet bread would rise too much and be full of bubbles.

I bought 500g of Fermipan when lockdown started and keep it tightly sealed in the freezer. To use I mix with a couple of teaspoons of flour and about 40ml of water.

Last edited:
I actually have a bag of vitamin C I bought on Ebay on a whim to de-chlorinate water for plants, but I'm too nervous to use it ... in any case at the moment I'm using slightly less than wholemeal flour and it rises easily ...

Back
Top Bottom