Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaking

"Waitrose don't do South London."

Yes they do - There's one in Balham, where the big Safeway used to be, and there's one in St Johns Rd (where Woolworths was), near Clapham Junction.

Okay, it's extra bus fare to get there & back, and the 37 from there is hellishly packed but... if you're going to Marron, Waitrose isn't out of your way.

"Waitrose don't do South London."

Yes they do - There's one in Balham, where the big Safeway used to be, and there's one in St Johns Rd (where Woolworths was), near Clapham Junction.

Okay, it's extra bus fare to get there & back, and the 37 from there is hellishly packed but... if you're going to Marron, Waitrose isn't out of your way.
But I'm not going to Marron! Thats the point of making my own bread, to not spend bus fare! :)

So, Waitrose are sneaking in but not letting us know about it on the store locator, perhaps they just don't like Brixton or Stockwell!

Where?

eta: or was that an explanation? 'Mines in south london which is why Waitrose won't build there to avoid blowing up the staff'?

Croydon.

There are also branches in Clapham, Balham, Beckenham bromley, wandworth, putney, new maldon. Probably more.

Atomic Suplex, I think you're missing the point. Some people really get into the whole process.
This thread has really made me want to try it myself.

The pot acts as a sort of mini bread oven. It's hard to get the kind of temperatures you get in a commercial bakery in a domestic oven.
Ah, I see. Temperature doesn't seem to be a problem in my oven. I couldn't even lift a 'le creuset' anyway :D

I make shit bread. I've tried many different ways and have produced a variety of shit loaves :(
:(

I'm amazed that my recent efforts are even edible given my previous efforts. Could always make pizza dough and cakes but bread baking was beyond me. Must have finally found my recipe. :)

The pot acts as a sort of mini bread oven. It's hard to get the kind of temperatures you get in a commercial bakery in a domestic oven.
The temperature in your pot is going to be no higher than that in the rest of your oven. so it makes no difference temperaturewise

I think the flat loaves you're getting are due to over-prooving. Massive air bubbles joining up and forming channels in the dough so the loaf collapses as soon as it's out of the oven. Your first loaf has that line of very close texture at the bottom, which is, I think, a sign of under-proving.

I'm not much of a baker, but perhaps go for a long first prove and then a shorter second one?

I think the flat loaves you're getting are due to over-prooving. Massive air bubbles joining up and forming channels in the dough so the loaf collapses as soon as it's out of the oven. Your first loaf has that line of very close texture at the bottom, which is, I think, a sign of under-proving.

I'm not much of a baker, but perhaps go for a long first prove and then a shorter second one?
The loaf is not collapsing when it comes out of the oven, the dough was deflating when it is tipped onto the baking tray, although the last one didn't collapse so badly so I might be getting closer. :)

The first one was insufficiently hydrated, too much flour but it proved very fast (the weather was a fair bit warmer then). For the last one I halved the proving time from the one before, used a bit more flour - the dough defalated a little bit but I think the main issue was the proving basket being round and a bit too wide. Am looking at procuring a narrow basket to replace the round ones I have and hope that might help. The idea of cooling the dough after the second proving is interesting and I wonder if that might help.

\
No I get the point. I do make my own bread and cakes and stuff.

oh, sorry. It seemed like there was an argument between you and miss minnie about why she would want to even take the time to bake her own sourdough bread when she could just buy it. I wasn't meaning to be rude either...but I have always liked the idea of growing the starter, as complicated as it sounds. It's a cool science experiment. And then you get to have yummy warm bread and be all proud of it. :)

I've been making nan like flatbreads on top of my woodburner. :cool:

Once you've got the knack of getting the dough right it's easy. I'm using chappati flour.

Once you've got the knack of getting the dough right it's easy. I'm using chappati flour.

Ooh, that's a good idea!

Have you tried doing baked potatoes inside it yet? I wonder if you could do a loaf the same way - in a sturdy tin wrapped up in tin foil, I guess. What effect would that have on the crust?

Yeah, I do spuds in the bottom all the time :)

No way could I fit a loaf in there though, it's not a big stove. Also, it does cook a bit 'top down' so the crust would probably be black!

Yum! Most of my sourdough attempts so far have verged on 'flatbread' ;)

The last one was baked in a tin and wasn't too bad. Would prefer the natural loaf shape though. Got another sponge on the go, have promised to provide bread for a pre-xmas lunch in 2 weeks! :eek:

Yum! Most of my sourdough attempts so far have verged on 'flatbread' ;)

The last one was baked in a tin and wasn't too bad. Would prefer the natural loaf shape though. Got another sponge on the go, have promised to provide bread for a pre-xmas lunch in 2 weeks! :eek:

Are you over-proving your dough perhaps.

Try less hydration as well.

To a certain point, more hydration = stretchier dough and more, larger air bubbles = lighter texture. But also weaker dough.

What percentage hydration are you using? I think my last sourdough was between 68 and 72% (i.e. total 720ml water per kg flour - including the starter), and it was extremely sticky, difficult to handle, pain in the arse but very aerated and light-texture. I reduced it to about 60% on my last dough and it was still light, but it rose higher due to the increased strength...

Rising is not the problem, all of my doughs have risen beautifully. But none of them will retain that height when tipped onto the baking tray. It is at this point that they deflate, no matter how quick and skilfully I turn them out.

Now that I skip that step, proving in a loaf tin and then just pop it in the oven it keeps it's height.

Rising is not the problem, all of my doughs have risen beautifully. But none of them will retain that height when tipped onto the baking tray. It is at this point that they deflate, no matter how quick and skilfully I turn them out.
Er, yes, that's why I suggested reducing the dough hydration, because it will make stronger dough that will retain its shape better when full of air bubbles.

edit: was not just referring to the initial rise, i.e. that caused by the initial CO2 production by the yeast - i'm talking about rising in the oven too, i.e. heat causing expansion of air bubbles during baking...

Back
Top Bottom