Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaking

Lovely and airy! Mine are always a bit more dense.
Thanks. I wonder if it was because we accidentally left it to rise before proving for 28 hrs instead of 18....! :D

I was surprised how nice it was for a first attempt. I was expecting a brick (I've never made bread before) !

Thanks. I wonder if it was because we accidentally left it to rise before proving for 28 hrs instead of 18....! :D

I was surprised how nice it was for a first attempt. I was expecting a brick (I've never made bread before) !

28 hours! Your kitchen must have been quite cold otherwise there is a danger of overproving. Having said that you knock the air out before the second proving anyway.

Your bread looks great! You can significantly improve it imho by doing a few sets of pull and folds before leaving to prove overnight. Basically you mix the dough, leave for an hour or so, and then perform four sets of pull and folds at roughly half-hour intervals. To do that you pull the dough out from one corner and fold it over, spin your bowl 45 degrees and repeat until you've folded all four sides. Rest for half an hour, repeat etc.

• Love
Reactions: han
Question for Guru Ms T - how do you transfer your loaf from basket to hotter-than-hell pot and get it the right way up? Mine are always 'rustic' because they flop in sideways and the basket marks are never on the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 6
I don't preheat the pot generally any more. I use a Falcon ceramic oval roaster lined with baking paper and put it into a cold oven set to heat to 220C for 55 minutes. Works just as well.

Are you scoring your dough? It looks like it's bursting there. It will rise better if you score it.

28 hours! Your kitchen must have been quite cold otherwise there is a danger of overproving. Having said that you knock the air out before the second proving anyway.

Your bread looks great! You can significantly improve it imho by doing a few sets of pull and folds before leaving to prove overnight. Basically you mix the dough, leave for an hour or so, and then perform four sets of pull and folds at roughly half-hour intervals. To do that you pull the dough out from one corner and fold it over, spin your bowl 45 degrees and repeat until you've folded all four sides. Rest for half an hour, repeat etc.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Yes our kitchen is freezing.

I don't preheat the pot generally any more. I use a Falcon ceramic oval roaster lined with baking paper and put it into a cold oven set to heat to 220C for 55 minutes. Works just as well.

Are you scoring your dough? It looks like it's bursting there. It will rise better if you score it.
Yes I have scored it with a razor blade, where the main cut is - and it still split out to the side. :rolleyes: Every loaf I make is different, due to the constant struggle to find a warm enough spot to prove it in, but they all taste nice. Also experimenting with mixing different flours. I will try the no-preheat method next time. Thanks!

Yes I have scored it with a razor blade, where the main cut is - and it still split out to the side. :rolleyes: Every loaf I make is different, due to the constant struggle to find a warm enough spot to prove it in, but they all taste nice. Also experimenting with mixing different flours. I will try the no-preheat method next time. Thanks!
After the bulk fermentation (overnight rise until at least doubled in size) I now do the second prove in the fridge - minimum three hours. Then 55mins in the oven as above. You need baking paper for this method though, or it will stick.

Here's today's loaf. It's a strong white and wholemeal spelt mix (300g/200g). I did four sets of stretch and folds, resting in-between before proving at room temperature overnight. The second prove was in the fridge for three hours in an oval banneton. Then I baked in an oval roaster, starting in a cold oven.

Bread.jpg

Here's today's loaf. It's a strong white and wholemeal spelt mix (300g/200g). I did four sets of stretch and folds, resting in-between before proving at room temperature overnight. The second prove was in the fridge for three hours in an oval banneton. Then I baked in an oval roaster, starting in a cold oven.

View attachment 264307
Looks like something I want to cram :) with lots of butter!

Yes breadahead just had some of the foccaccia should have shoved the rosemary in more but tasty really good.

I've not done that course but I do make focaccia every so often and I heartily recommend if you like olives to thumb some (pitted and either whole or halved) into the top of the dough (although push them down well, they will rise to the surface a bit in the oven) before baking - lush. Especially some nice juicy kalamata ones - but any decent black or green olives will work.

Last edited:
^ Looks lovely!

I killed my starter so had to make a new one this week. Only took 24 hours for it to be bubbling and expanding like a wild thing, even in my chilly house - god knows what Ocado put in their wholemeal bread flour :eek:

Back
Top Bottom