Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaking

That's inspired!

I got another huge sack of Shipton Mill unbleached yesterday! Although seemed to have tailed of with the bread making a bit recently. Should pull the starter out the fridge and give it some love really.

Become quite a fan of making the bread the afternoon/evening before and sticking it in the oven in the morning. Used to wait patiently for it to warm up, but seems to make no difference. Which is great as means its more feasible if I have to go out/not get up at stupid o'clock. Trying a loaf with some milk powder in it this morning. And possibly a naughty amount of of ghee and coconut oil.

Another thing I've noticed is how much difference autolyse makes. My understanding was just mixing flour and water and leaving it shouldnt make much of a difference other then how easy it all was to mix, but see a real difference in the quality of the final bread.

I made these on autopilot.

It’s only now that I’ve begun thinking - the wife and toddler are away. How the fuck am I going to get through about 3kg of pizza before it goes sad?!

I may give some to the students next door.

Unless they’re vegetarian. Or think it’s really fucking weird to have bearded old people from next door trying to offload pizza on them.

0DA32A32-B470-47A2-82ED-6E1DB3CA6E00.jpeg 95C3C79E-EB5A-485B-AEAB-290ADE00733E.jpeg

I made these on autopilot.

It’s only now that I’ve begun thinking - the wife and toddler are away. How the fuck am I going to get through about 3kg of pizza before it goes sad?!

I may give some to the students next door.

Unless they’re vegetarian. Or think it’s really fucking weird to have bearded old people from next door trying to offload pizza on them.

View attachment 132183 View attachment 132184

Whish I lived next door!

Aldi have some good flours in at the mo T55, 00, dark rye and white spelt ~£1.60 /1.5kg

So bought a posh wireless thermometer for my BBQ and thought I'd finally try and get a handle of my daft oven. I knew it ran high, but the results are surprising in just how high. Phone is telling me after being left on max heat for a while it hits 300. Drop it down to 170 and its still reading 225. 150 is giving a more civilised 206. No wonder I've had so many issues with timing.

As I've got another 5 spare probes it did make me wonder can you bake by constant monitoring of internal temp. Although bread isn't an option in the app :)

Pumpernickel.

Completed in just one day! Unusually.

They look ok, but need to rest until tomorrow before cutting.

FEBF67F9-2D6E-4C1B-A1A1-1C46D1023351.jpeg F11B7093-9E76-48B3-8EAC-19F8C6F3CA71.jpeg

Aldi have some good flours in at the mo T55, 00, dark rye and white spelt ~£1.60 /1.5kg
I found their white spelt shockingly bad. There was just nothing interesting I could do with it, the texture was a mess, and the flavour had all gone because... it was white. A really odd / puzzling choice of flour to whiten, IMO.

That looks intresting. I'm wondering if that's what I had recently on a trip over to Holland. Really dark like Rye bread, but a dead light texture with lots of air pockets?

That looks intresting. I'm wondering if that's what I had recently on a trip over to Holland. Really dark like Rye bread, but a dead light texture with lots of air pockets?
Definitely not. Think 'dwarf bread' / Terry Pratchett and you're probably getting close.

It's not only dense dark (sweetened) rye, it's also got rye flakes and whole wheatberries in there. So getting through it is a bit like attacking a fortress.

I found their white spelt shockingly bad. There was just nothing interesting I could do with it, the texture was a mess, and the flavour had all gone because... it was white. A really odd / puzzling choice of flour to whiten, IMO.

Yeah I made a few attempts at bread then decided it must have been intended for making cake or something.

Definitely not. Think 'dwarf bread' / Terry Pratchett and you're probably getting close.

It's not only dense dark (sweetened) rye, it's also got rye flakes and whole wheatberries in there. So getting through it is a bit like attacking a fortress.

To be weaponised then. :D

Does make me wonder what I had then. Was served on the ferry and in the hotel we had lunch. Still not tried buying gluten to add to Rye flour!

Yeah I made a few attempts at bread then decided it must have been intended for making cake or something.

I've got some in my cupboard, but still not baked with it. Might pass then and keep it for dusting stuff/lining proofing baskets.

So ... basic wholemeal - though I always include 50g of ground linseed and now am adding 50g of buckwheat flour to 200g of wholemeal ...

Looked at a few recipes online and it seems to be approx 0.7g of water per gramme of flour ?

So ... basic wholemeal - though I always include 50g of ground linseed and now am adding 50g of buckwheat flour to 200g of wholemeal ...

Looked at a few recipes online and it seems to be approx 0.7g of water per gramme of flour ?
You’re talking “bakers percentages” there.

Yes. “70% hydration” (700mls water to 1kg flour) would be a reasonable benchmark / starting point.

A lot depends on the flours you’re using, though. Most ryes will happily suck up more and I’d happily go to 72-75% without many concerns with strong white; but even a small amount of spelt means a 70% loaf will struggle to hold itself entirely upright. (Hydrated spelt tends towards pancakes).

If there’s any gluten content / elasticity in your bread at all, folding and bulk proofing will also make a big difference (building structure, and so allowing your dough to hold more water).

I was given a cloche for my birthday.

Can’t say I’ve got my head around it completely! The top one was baked covered until fully cooked - and so, has a bit of an odd (steamed) texture. The lower one is more typical - and also reflects the difficulty im having in scoring loaves before they go in. (There’s also a jalapeño and cheese one that’s doing the rounds at work today. That came out quite well).

B6A29C28-65D9-442C-9764-D072C9368917.jpeg59B36ADC-AD65-4801-B62F-038D9CEF2FB2.jpeg

There are some priorities for improvement. I fucked up the initial “cloche proofing” process, as apparently I should have baked it with a coating of oil. As a result, it’s completely non non stick, and needs about a cm of semolina all the way round for an overnight proof.

The ad pictures also show a SMALL loaf in the middle of the BIG cloche bottom :hmm: Whereas these are 1.5kg whoppers.

It’s tempting to try smaller loaves. But not that tempting. Yet.

Edit: today’s:

426A46FB-5300-4250-A2A0-A7434E3BBE7C.jpeg 57C298D2-7385-4122-8FDC-ADF8386406C7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom