Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boris's ban on alcohol on London Transport (with poll)

What do you think of Boris's proposed ban on drinking on public transport?

• Total voters
Good point, it was just a convenient and similar example.

I think the key to get Boris out is preparation, although I haven't heard what Ken's plans are. Does anyone know? Labour could look very different by the time of the next Mayoral Election though so whether he'd get to be the official candidate I couldn't say.

No, I've not heard... but at this rate I doubt he'd stand as a Labour candidate next time (well, next time the mayoral elections come around, NL will be even more fucked than they are now). In fact I imagine he'll be trying to disassociate himself from them as much as possible.

p.s. My opinion is based on the experience here, between the days when such public alcohol consumption was tolerated, and now, when it isn't.

So I at least have some evidence for my position.
Actually, it seems you have precisely zero contemporary evidence or personal experience of the supposed 'issue' that the new law is dealing with.

Maybe you should ponder that awhile before continuing to debate the issue with people who regularly get the tube?

But you'd be incorrect, which is why I made the comment about the sauce.

Sophistry is all very fun but basically, the thing is, you've made some weird claims about drinking behaviour which don't stand up, and now you've fallen back on "well I think it happened here X years ago so it must be true".

When I worked on building sites, I'd have a beer on the Tube on the way home to wash the dust out of my throat and settle me after a long hard physical day. Then I'd have a cup of tea when I got home. I know for a certain fact that this is not uncommon amongst builders, painters etc.

These days, if I've had to come home from work and then straightaway go out to a social event, I'll have a beer on the Tube as a way of changing gear. I mostly only do this if I've had to make a quick turn around between work and going out. I don't do it because I can't wait to have a beer, it's because I fancy a beer. Again, this is not uncommon.

Most drunkards who travel on the Tube appear to be office workers, not football fans. They are not drinking on the Tube, they are already very drunk when they get on. They are desperately hanging on to their motor skills after a long boozy night in some wine bar next door to work where he embarrassed himself trying to chat up Sarah Jane from Accounts, and now he's going home to collapse on the sofa and not eat the kebab he bought on the way home and in the morning he'll wake up and not be able to find his shoe and then be late to work because he threw up after brushing his teeth and had to brush them again. And tonight he'll go back to the wine bar because today was so very very rubbish, and he'll do it all over again.

No, I've not heard... but at this rate I doubt he'd stand as a Labour candidate next time (well, next time the mayoral elections come around, NL will be even more fucked than they are now). In fact I imagine he'll be trying to disassociate himself from them as much as possible.

Well I'm not so sure, he's very loyal to the Labour party, and London.

I'm guessing he'd stand for Brent East MP again where he's still widely supported, regain the seat from LibDems, and possibly stand again for mayor when the time comes. Although being in his early sixties he might jump at the chance of retiring...

It wouldn't surprise me if he had a 'holiday home' tucked away somewhere warm, and a speaking circuit to keep him in the style to which he will become accustomed.

Ken was quoted before the election that if he lost he would start work on his memoirs, right after walking his kids to school as a man with time on his hands. :cool:

When I worked on building sites, I'd have a beer on the Tube on the way home to wash the dust out of my throat and settle me after a long hard physical day. ..

Aye, there's no way I'm going to stop necking a cold can after a back-busting day.

Can't see the Circle Line parties happening again though.

Well I'm not so sure, he's very loyal to the Labour party, and London.

I'm guessing he'd stand for Brent East MP again where he's still widely supported, regain the seat from LibDems, and possibly stand again for mayor when the time comes. Although being in his early sixties he might jump at the chance of retiring...

Not a chance, with the boundary changes the fight is Sarah Teather versus Dawn Butler. Butler is part of Harriet Harman's faction and is not going to be deselected for Ken.

I could see Ken being offered a peerage not sure he'd take it though...

He's done his bit for capitalism so why shouldn't he enjoy his retirement. At least he won't be working until he's 70.

He's done his bit for capitalism so why shouldn't he enjoy his retirement. At least he won't be working until he's 70.

I don't understand what you're getting at. What's he done for capitalism?

And he's 62. He could have retired two years ago.

I havn't read the whole of this thread but I was a little shocked when I read the OP. There seems to be a continuous drip drip attack on liberties in this city.:rolleyes: I gave up smoking last year at the time of the smoking ban in pubs and I can see some use to that because it has helped me to kick an unhealthy habit, but still I'm not happy with the whole fucking clampdown situation.

This is a stupid measure. I havn't had a drink on a tube train for years but it makes me want to have a beer on a train immediately. :cool:

I hate the clampdown. :mad:

I havn't read the whole of this thread but I was a little shocked when I read the OP. There seems to be a continuous drip drip attack on liberties in this city.:rolleyes: I gave up smoking last year at the time of the smoking ban in pubs and I can see some use to that because it has helped me to kick an unhealthy habit, but still I'm not happy with the whole fucking clampdown situation.

This is a stupid measure. I havn't had a drink on a tube train for years but it makes me want to have a beer on a train immediately. :cool:

It is my "liberty" not to have people sitting around on the train and to have clean air in restaurants, bars and offices. My "liberties" are as important as yours. :rolleyes:

Here, as was pointed out by JC, we don't drink in public places. That includes parks, buses - anywhere that has public assess. For us, this is civilizated. I found it very strange that you embrace this as a personal freedom. It makes the the UK seems a little backward, imo.

This.

Civilizated? Not much chance of saying that after a few!

Never heard the term before. Are you a civilizion?

My apologies for the incorrect spelling - had this problem all my life now so I've learned to accept it. Keep forgetting that others see the words differently.

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting here.

My apologies for the incorrect spelling - had this problem all my life now so I've learned to accept it. Keep forgetting that others see the words differently.

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting here.

Chill! The word comes up under a google search :)

Could you explain what liberties of yours are being infringed on when someone on a train decides to quietly have a can of beer after a hard day at work?
Help! What are you doing to our language?!!

None. I've never seen anyone drink on your public transportation system before, so it came as a complete shock that it was legal.

You seem to have a much more lax attitude about drinking over there - here alcohol is kept out of the public view. In Ontario, all alcohol (open or closed) must be carried in the boot - it is the law.

You see it as a freedom - I can accept that. I can also accept that when in Texas, drinking and driving is accepted. I remember one time when the State tried to ban it and the population claimed it was their right, and won.

Different countries, different cultures.

Oh - and sorry about the assault on your language. It was unintentionally.

Chill! The word comes up under a google search :)

Really ... :eek:

Bet it gives to correct spelling, though - doesn't it?

I usually check all my stuff - it's just that I still can't get my head around the fact you can drink on public transport. It was a total surprise.

Not a chance, with the boundary changes the fight is Sarah Teather versus Dawn Butler. Butler is part of Harriet Harman's faction and is not going to be deselected for Ken.

I could see Ken being offered a peerage not sure he'd take it though...

Ahhhhh. Thanks for the insight.

I can withstand a whole _lifetime_ without having a drink, but I don't want to and I don't see any reason why I should. Or why some twat should tell me I have to.

Nail/head. This is what makes me laugh. Tories are forever going on about the nanny state, when they are the worst culprits of all for it.

It's just populism, of the most craven, ill-considered kind. And we'll be seeing lots more of it.

I think a lot of you are missign connections here.

This is a typical politician's solution. Firstly, we take two problems that exist amongst the electorate.

1. fears of anti-social behaviour.
2. decreased taking in pubs.

by banning drinking on the tube, we neatly appear to be dealing with the first, whilse hopefully dealing with the second.

in the end, the sort of people who drink on tubes now and again are people like urbanites. let's say i'm going to a gig. i want a couple of beers first. having one can of £1 beer saves me buying a can of £3.50 beer in the venue. now it's illegal. i'm not allowed to save money. in fact, if i have the cheek to try, i could get nicked and fined.

meanwhile, of course, people who cause ASB won't take the blindest bits of notice. result, no change in crime, increased takings in the venues, and anyone unlucky enough to be nicked for having a can on the way to a gig gets added to the stats for resolution and punishment of what is now ASB but before was quiet peaceful behaviour.

incidentally, the reason there were threatened tube strikes recently is because london underground are removing staff from smaller stations to save money, leaving unmanned stations and of course the fear of ASB. how can london afford more transport police but less station workers. station workers are cheaper?

another bit of traing the british public to do as they're told.

Actually, it seems you have precisely zero contemporary evidence or personal experience of the supposed 'issue' that the new law is dealing with.

Maybe you should ponder that awhile before continuing to debate the issue with people who regularly get the tube?

Say what you will, but in fact, we had public drinking here, then it was stopped, and the level of public disorder went down.

I know you want to ignore that, and call it 'zero evidence', because it goes against the grain of your dislike for Boris, but there it is. It is the truth.

Sophistry is all very fun but basically, the thing is, you've made some weird claims about drinking behaviour which don't stand up, and now you've fallen back on "well I think it happened here X years ago so it must be true".

It is true: it did happen here, and not so long ago that I think either basic human nature, nor organic chemistry, has changed in the interim.

Unfortunately, your people dont seem to be handling their liberties very well; the place is slowly slipping into social disorder.

Back
Top Bottom