Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boris's ban on alcohol on London Transport (with poll)

What do you think of Boris's proposed ban on drinking on public transport?

• Total voters
. Drinking on the tube is not that common and people causing trouble while drinking is even rarer.

The clueless Boris wildly exaggerated the whole 'threat' of rampaging drinkers on the tube to garner votes.

If it is so rare as you make it out to be, then the London electorate really must be stupid sheeple to believe such propaganda.

It would be like campaigning on a promise to rid the Capital of rampaging hyenas. Most people wouldn't be fooled by such an obvious fabrication.

If it is so rare as you make it out to be, then the London electorate really must be stupid sheeple to believe such propaganda.

It would be like campaigning on a promise to rid the Capital of rampaging hyenas. Most people wouldn't be fooled by such an obvious fabrication.

Is there the slightest bit of evidence that the London electorate thinks this is a good idea? This wasn't even in his manifesto.

It seems rather a lot of money to spend on something which is going to make no difference to crime and 'anti-social behaviour.' That's what's wrong.

I'm not sure the extra officers are just to enforce a no alcohol rule though are they.

Is there the slightest bit of evidence that the London electorate thinks this is a good idea? This wasn't even in his manifesto.

You should have a word with the boss, then.

05-05-2008, 15:23
editor
with Dynamic Tension Join Date: Dec 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijingirl
I don't do it very often.. but then I very rarely see people drinking on the tube at all...

Johnny: please read and understand this point. Drinking on the tube is not that common and people causing trouble while drinking is even rarer.

The clueless Boris wildly exaggerated the whole 'threat' of rampaging drinkers on the tube to garner votes.

But we're talking about the merit, or lack thereof, of banning alcohol consumption on public transportation.

How do illegal drugs enter into it?

You should be on TV, you've got this down pat :D

Stop talking about drugs, it's irrelevant. I might have said "drugs and alcohol"; the drugs wasn't relevant, you're just picking it up to avoid talking about alcohol.

Time will tell. I've been wondering the past few days how various agendas are going to attempt to attack, destabilise and in time unseat him.

Well I'm not a Londoner so I have a simplistic viewpoint on it. Boris will end up getting the blame for the cash sinkhole the Olympics are set to become, and if, as looks likely, the Tories are back at No10 by then so will they. Very similar to how the Millennium Dome, created by Tories, was blamed on Nu Labour but with a multiplying factor.

You should be on TV, you've got this down pat :D

Stop talking about drugs, it's irrelevant. I might have said "drugs and alcohol"; the drugs wasn't relevant, you're just picking it up to avoid talking about alcohol.

I wanted to talk about alcohol, but ed started maundering about illegal drugs.

Well I'm not a Londoner so I have a simplistic viewpoint on it. Boris will end up getting the blame for the cash sinkhole the Olympics are set to become, and if, as looks likely, the Tories are back at No10 by then so will they. Very similar to how the Millennium Dome, created by Tories, was blamed on Nu Labour but with a multiplying factor.

Boris will also get blamed for Global Warming, and also the Tibetan Genocide.

But we're talking about the merit, or lack thereof, of banning alcohol consumption on public transportation.

How do illegal drugs enter into it?
So, you admit that your argument for banning drinking on the tube fell apart in little pieces when you suggested wolfing down a load of booze before making the journey, yes?

And how is Boris's argument any different?

I think that is basically right, but there is a slight difference to the Dome thing, in that, under the current system, mayors really aren't going to be able to reject the Olympics; they'd lose the support of so many people they need to impress to stay active. (Not that this is a good thing.) They might manage it better or worse but even in the best case, it's still going to be a massively over-spent piece of crap. The Dome, on the other hand, was much more a discretionary affair.

So, you admit that your argument for banning drinking on the tube fell apart in little pieces when you suggested wolfing down a load of booze before making the journey, yes?

And how is Boris's argument any different?

No. My 'argument' was a sop to confirmed alcoholics who couldn't face a tube trip without an alcoholic load on.

I think most normal people can withstand a tube trip without a beer clutched in their sweaty mitts.

I think most normal people can withstand a tube trip without a beer clutched in their sweaty mitts.
Most normal people have no problem enjoying a can on the tube too.

If you think banning it is such a good idea and worth the expenditure involved in enforcing it, perhaps you could produce some figures concerning the problems caused by people drinking on the tube please?

Remember, people getting on who are already drunk don't count!

So, what stats have you got? There's certainly not much empiric evidence to be found here though.

No. My 'argument' was a sop to confirmed alcoholics who couldn't face a tube trip without an alcoholic load on.

I can withstand a whole _lifetime_ without having a drink, but I don't want to and I don't see any reason why I should. Or why some twat should tell me I have to.

Most normal people have no problem enjoying a can on the tube too.

If you think banning it is such a good idea and worth the expenditure involved in enforcing it, perhaps you could produce some figures concerning the problems caused by people drinking on the tube please?

Remember, people getting on who are already drunk don't count!

So, what stats have you got? There's certainly not much empiric evidence to be found here though.

What evidence do you have that it won't be of assistance.

p.s. My opinion is based on the experience here, between the days when such public alcohol consumption was tolerated, and now, when it isn't.

So I at least have some evidence for my position.

I think that is basically right, but there is a slight difference to the Dome thing, in that, under the current system, mayors really aren't going to be able to reject the Olympics; they'd lose the support of so many people they need to impress to stay active. (Not that this is a good thing.) They might manage it better or worse but even in the best case, it's still going to be a massively over-spent piece of crap. The Dome, on the other hand, was much more a discretionary affair.

Good point, it was just a convenient and similar example.

I think the key to get Boris out is preparation, although I haven't heard what Ken's plans are. Does anyone know? Labour could look very different by the time of the next Mayoral Election though so whether he'd get to be the official candidate I couldn't say.

Back
Top Bottom