Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BNP membership list has been put online.

what does the second part have to do with anything?

your first part is bollocks as well, you were clearly agreeing with Hill, and are now shown to be totally wrong. But whatever, you keep on thinking you have been right in everything you ever have said, or will say.

Bollocks to you an' all.

The second part was a piss-take on infallibility, mine included.

I was not in agreement with Hill at all.

no, of course you weren't.

Fair play on the other bit tho, I couldn't be arsed to read the link

a - racism is not simply the statement that you think one race is superior to another

b - despite that, that notion of 'superiority' would follow in, something like, 99% of examples.

a - We can argue about the definition of racism all evening. Can we call it supremacy instead? Perhaps I should have used that term to start with.

b - I disagree.

The reason I think it's worth making the distinction is that the notion that one race is superior to another is, in my reckoning, fundamentally wrong and I think can be proven to be so.

On the other hand, the notion that mixing up different races (and in many cases but by no means all, this also means mixing up cultures) can cause problems is not fundamentally wrong - it can and does cause problems. It may well be that many people have a distorted view of how and to what extent it causes problems, and that the solutions to these problems offered by the BNP are not good ones, but you can't just write people who hold this view off as bigots, racists or supremacists. Some of them may be, of course, but not all of them. And the attitude where you do just write these people off, is exactly the kind of attitude which will only increase the extent to which they'll be attracted to parties like the BNP.

What I was trying to say is that if you believe that problems can arise from too much cultural/racial mixing, it does not necessarily follow that you consider one culture/race to be superior to another.

[lobs the example of indigenous peoples' reservations in the Amazon into the discussion to see what will happen]

:)

a - We can argue about the definition of racism all evening. Can we call it supremacy instead? Perhaps I should have used that term to start with.

b - I disagree.

The reason I think it's worth making the distinction is that the notion that one race is superior to another is, in my reckoning, fundamentally wrong and I think can be proven to be so.

On the other hand, the notion that mixing up different races (and in many cases but by no means all, this also means mixing up cultures) can cause problems is not fundamentally wrong - it can and does cause problems. It may well be that many people have a distorted view of how and to what extent it causes problems, and that the solutions to these problems offered by the BNP are not good ones, but you can't just write people who hold this view off as bigots, racists or supremacists. Some of them may be, of course, but not all of them. And the attitude where you do just write these people off, is exactly the kind of attitude which will only increase the extent to which they'll be attracted to parties like the BNP.

on a - well if we both agree that the two are different, good.

on b - thats an almost meaningless statement, as anything - mixing cultures, not mixing cultures - causes 'problems'. As such that renders 'problems' almost meaningless. Life causes 'problems', tho probably not quite as many as death. Your one-sided version (and I happily accept in advance that you agree with the converse, as I just described it) is just that, one-sided, and as such, a sop to bigotry.

on b - thats an almost meaningless statement

:confused:

as anything - mixing cultures, not mixing cultures - causes 'problems'.

Agreed

As such that renders 'problems' almost meaningless.

Not agreed

Life causes 'problems', tho probably not quite as many as death.

Highly debatable. But irrelevant

Your one-sided version (and I happily accept in advance that you agree with the converse, as I just described it) is just that, one-sided,

One-sided version in one-sided version is one-sided version shocker.

and as such, a sop to bigotry.

Complete non-sequitur as far as I can see. Argument doesn't make sense.

But I'll try it again with a different argument just to make sure:

fictional teuchter said:
"Eating my breakfast in the morning causes me problems. It means I am late for work"

fictional belboid said:
thats an almost meaningless statement

:hmm:

fictional belboid said:
as anything - eating your breakfast, not eating your breakfast - causes 'problems'.

Agreed

Not agreed

Life causes 'problems', tho probably not quite as many as death.

Highly debatable. But irrelevant

Your one-sided version (and I happily accept in advance that you agree with the converse, as I just described it) is just that, one-sided,

and as such, a sop to bigotry.

The logic concludes that not eating breakfast is a sop to bigotry. Therefore I conclude that the logic is faulty, as I suspected.

eating breakfast causes me problems, it makes me late for work
good try, and a fair example i think.

Unfortunately I don't think it works for you. 'Eating breakfast' doesn't make you late for work, bad time management does that. But, 'not having bad time management causes me problems' doesn't really work, does it?

Not agreed
as the basis for such decision making it is clearly insufficient here. If the reason for taking a course of actions is to avoid problems, then neither course of action has any merit as they both cause problems. That renders it pretty worthless as a deciding factor. If you'd rather swap worthless for meaningless, thats fine by me.

it's a shit way of making a decision. Now you seem to be defending not thinking.

Complete non-sequitur as far as I can see.
get better glasses then. As you just said, your initial statement was entirely one-sided. Taking an entirely one-sided view is by definition biased. Prejudiced one might say. And prejudice is a synonym for......

So if you're happy with my example, then you agree that my opinion that "Eating my breakfast in the morning causes me problems. It means I am late for work" is a "sop to bigotry", according to your logic.

Is that correct?

I'm glad I know where my local bigots live TBH, privacy disaster notwithstanding. I'm just glad I don't have kids, cos then I might have to say that about the paedos :hmm:

ctrl+f......

oh yes! so he is! :D

(but i suspect that was fairly common knowledge anyway :hmm: :confused:)

allegedly one of the first ways this list was confirmed was by someone calling up and pretending to be someone on it and going ahhh nick is this real? And he was like aaaah yes it is fuck

or maybe i just made that up :hmm:

So if you're happy with my example, then you agree that my opinion that "Eating my breakfast in the morning causes me problems. It means I am late for work" is a "sop to bigotry", according to your logic.

Is that correct?

Actually I can't be bothered staying up half the night going through this the slow way.

The fact is that I can feed in the converse to your faulty reasoning process and get the same result:

"Not eating my breakfast in the morning causes me problems. It means I am hungry at work" is a "sop to bigotry"

Which demonstrates that it's a nonsense.

Is that correct?

I'm happy with your example cos it shows you are totally wrong. Which you'd realise if you understood a thing about basic logic. But you dont, which is why you have to keep redefining words

You are totally and utterly wrong

I'm happy with your example cos it shows you are totally wrong. Which you'd realise if you understood a thing about basic logic. But you dont, which is why you have to keep redefining words

You are totally and utterly wrong

That's one of the most rubbish defences I've seen for a while.

Unfortunately I don't think it works for you. 'Eating breakfast' doesn't make you late for work, bad time management does that. But, 'not having bad time management causes me problems' doesn't really work, does it?

This relies on an assumption that it is "bad time management". There are any number of reasons why it might not be. Perhaps there is some reason why I can't go to bed earlier than I do, and getting up earlier than I do would mean I don't get enough sleep. Then we are back to saying "doing X causes problems, not doing X causes problems">>>your dodgy reasoning>>>>saying that "eating breakfast causes problems" is a sop to bigotry, but also the statement "not eating breakfast causes problems",>>>your dodgy reasoning>>>saying that "not eating breakfast causes problems" is a sop to bigotry"

But let's say I agree that it is due to bad time management. Then you are quite right that saying that "eating breakfast causes problems" is untrue in that case.

So if we go back to my statement that you claim is meaningless and a "sop to bigotry":

On the other hand, the notion that mixing up different races (and in many cases but by no means all, this also means mixing up cultures) can cause problems is not fundamentally wrong - it can and does cause problems.

By your reasoning, the converse is also meaningless and "a sop to bigotry". Which is why your argument is unconvincing.

You need to show why it is that mixing up cultures causes no problems at all before you can say that my statement is meaningless. In the same way that you tried to show that "eating breakfast" does not cause problems.

Mixing cultures may cause problems, but seperation of cultures may cause others.

Also, seperation of cultures may not be the best way of solving the problems that the original mixing caused.

Mixing cultures may cause problems, but seperation of cultures may cause others.

Also, seperation of cultures may not be the best way of solving the problems that the original mixing caused.

Of course. But some people's circumstances might mean that they predominantly register the problems. And registering these problems disproportionally does not necessarily imply bigotry. In my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom