Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blade Runner 2049

Latest footage leaked:

I love that movie so much I'm not going to watch it. I remember seeing it for the first time at the cinema (thankfully). Blew my mind. I actually agree with that article further up the thread that Decard's not a replicant but a jaded man who rediscovers his humanity and the value of life through his interactions with Rachael and the replicants.

I always wondered why people (including Ridley Scott, but not the screenwriter or Ford) think Deckard definitely being a replicant is a good idea apart from that many people think that twist endings in themselves are awfully clever.

I'm fine with it being a possibility, but I'm not fine with it being a certainty. Deckard being human has about it the irony that the machines evolve to becoming more human than the real thing.

With Deckard being a replicant you end up with story about a machine falling In love with another machine rather than one about a man going against everything he believes in. One merely hinges around a plot twist, the other one around an allegory for discrimination and how prejudices work out when one ends up becoming personally involved with "the other". Decked rediscovers his humanity by falling in love with a machine.
Deckard is the audiences entry point and point of view to the story, it starts with a jaded cop hunting machines. But as the story moves it is revealed to the audiance that the machines have a humanity while Dekard's journey takes him to accepting their humanity and recognising his own inhumanity. It the journey the audience goes so "untwisting" it 30 odd years later may jar many. Its a bit "it was just a dream now but the new film".

The whole film is suffused with the alienation, dislocation and loss of identity in a megacity. At the time perhaps playing on fears of over population, now it may pull more to fears of multiculturalism. The crowds, masses of languages and alieness of it all while the white, clean upper layers were riddled with nostalgia for the 50s, in part set by the film noir lighting and tone. Deckards journey from a alienated soul in the swarm of humanity to a plot resolution of him finding a place where he belonged even if it was one soon to be dead android worked. Well in my daft opinion.

Just picked up "Blade Runner 2" by KW Jeter in Oxfam. Published 20 years ago. I expect it to be crap but what the hell...

Finally decided to read the thing before seeing the movie. Obviously, it's nothing like the premise of the new film. It's set a year or two after the events of Blade Runner and it tries to capture the atmosphere. It kills off one of the interesting characters and brings back others whilst expanding on the nature of replicants and runners. It's ok. There's another two books in the series, I believe.

I'm expecting great things of the new film. Great things.

Saw the trailer for this at the flicks last night. It looks fucking awesome and I can't wait! I've not been proper excited like this about a film for ages. Must calm down to avoid disappointment.

Some first impressionns from reviewers/bloggers who've seen previews:
@ErikDavis
BLADE RUNNER 2049 is sci-fi masterpiece; the kind of deep-cut genre film we don't see anymore. Visually mind blowing, absolutely fantastic

@colliderfrosty
Everyone bow down to Denis Villeneuve. He’s done the impossible and delivered a huge home run with 'Blade Runner 2049'. Loved it.

@jhoffman
Good news! BLADE RUNNER 2049 is a terrific continuation and expansion of the orig. Wasn't hoping for much, ended up LOVING it. (Even Leto!)

@djkevlar
I've seen Blade Runner 2049 and it's FUCKING INCREDIBLE.

@jasonosia
BLADE RUNNER 2049: The thrill of mood and extensional joys of self-reflection. Villeneuve’s slow-burn obsessions have never felt more SEEN.

@JennaBusch
#BladeRunner2049 was one of the most mind-blowing films I've seen. It's breathtaking and transportive. Denis Villeneuve has a masterpiece.

@jessehawken
All I can say about BLADE RUNNER 2049 is...give Roger Deakins the Oscar now. Absolutely stunning visuals

@eeisenberg
.@BladeRunner 2049 is phenomenal. Visually mind-blowing sci-fi w/ noir roots shining through in a tight, twisty mystery. Best of 2017 so far

@DrewDietsch
#BladeRunner2049 is a true sequel in tune with the mood, pacing, tone, contemplative nature, and stark visual splendor of the original.

#BladeRunner2049 is real sci-fi filmmaking. It makes the new Star Wars films look like live action LEGO movies.
#BladeRunner2049 is NOT some action blockbuster. It is a hard sci-fi detective drama. They didn't reshape this to fit the mainstream.
#BladeRunner2049 is nearly 3 hours and kept me entranced, tense, and engaged the entire time. That speaks volumes. The time flew by.

Hype thyselves

After arrival I think we can trust villnueve when it comes to sci fi. We'll see if his wish to finally get Dune right ever comes to light...

I might go cinema for this one.

I'm definitely cinemaing this. If it does as well as the hype promises, then they'll probably let him do dune. squee etc.

Whoever wrote that really doesn't like the Deckard is a Replicant theory. Had they actually read the book Bladerunner is based on they'd realise the cop was a robot in that so it's not too much of a leap to theorise it with Deckard...and you can't dismiss the link between his unicorn dream and the origami piece as mere coincidence, they were on screen for a reason. I would agree with the article though that if they wanted a replicant cop he'd be as tough as Roy was.

Either way I like the passion in that article for the film....I agree with his view on the narration and I like the happy ending also, after all the gloom and darkness it was a perfect closure......it is indeed the best film ever made.

I did my third year uni dissertation on Bladerunner analysing it through 4 Freudian principles (after doing an analysis of it in my first year at uni assessing it from a Postmodern perspective). The amount of material on it to read in the film critic section of the uni library amazed me. I was hunting around for books on it, turned a corner of one row of books to be confronted with an entire library shelf dedicated to Bladerunner....pig in heaven, I was.

Last edited:
There was a robot cop...I didn't say Deckard in the book was.
Maybe there was, but if you're going to use the fact that there was a robot cop in the book as proof that Deckard is a replicant, then surely the fact that Deckard is definitely human in the book is even better proof of the opposite.

Maybe there was, but if you're going to use the fact that there was a robot cop in the book as proof that Deckard is a replicant, then surely the fact that Deckard is definitely human in the book is even better proof of the opposite.

It's just that as per the book, 'the source material' cops are robots. Add that to the unicorn dream and Ridley himself saying so kind of sums it up. But I agree with the article it makes more sense 'plotwise' for him to be human. I certainly watched it as Deckard being human, it doesn't phase me if I misread Ridley Scott's intention. To be honest the film is about so much more I don't see why people get too wound up with it. There's 3 questions for me a good film tries to answer, 'Where have I come from?' 'Where am I going?', 'How long have I got?' - Bladerunner tackles those like no other.

Deckard is the audiences entry point and point of view to the story, it starts with a jaded cop hunting machines. But as the story moves it is revealed to the audiance that the machines have a humanity while Dekard's journey takes him to accepting their humanity and recognising his own inhumanity. It the journey the audience goes so "untwisting" it 30 odd years later may jar many. Its a bit "it was just a dream now but the new film".

The whole film is suffused with the alienation, dislocation and loss of identity in a megacity. At the time perhaps playing on fears of over population, now it may pull more to fears of multiculturalism. The crowds, masses of languages and alieness of it all while the white, clean upper layers were riddled with nostalgia for the 50s, in part set by the film noir lighting and tone. Deckards journey from a alienated soul in the swarm of humanity to a plot resolution of him finding a place where he belonged even if it was one soon to be dead android worked. Well in my daft opinion.

This analysis only makes sense if you take a position in the final moments - and let's forget the problem with the dove and the colour of the sky.

Reviews are up.

Blade Runner 2049

I'm deliberately avoiding reading them, but the snippets on RT all paint a very very positive picture.
I'm seeing a shit load of five star reviews. Thank fuck.

We’re in an era in which Hollywood mass produces superhero movies and every success is immediately turned into a franchise. Thankfully, Blade Runner 2049 doesn't feel opportunistic at all. Like The Godfather Part II, it’s a sequel to a very celebrated film which may actually be better than the original.
Blade Runner 2049, review: may be better than the original
It may seem premature to ascribe the word ‘masterpiece’ to a legacyquel of a heady sci-fi head-scratcher from the ‘80s, but its audacity and formal perfection – not to mention its thematic weight – leave no other alternative.
Film Review: Blade Runner 2049

Back
Top Bottom