Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blade Runner's on the telly

Watching it on BBC 2 HD now.....

...dohhh.....just realised I recorded it on BBC2 lo-def...

...in the pre-DVD days films seemed to stick around alot longer in cinemas even though there were less multiplexes......I must have gone back to see this mesmerised at least 20 or so times when it came out....incredible the way Scott created an entire future universe on a little Hollywood film-lot...

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Just been watching it again, still incredible.

my fave bit from 'edge of bladerunner' is the info that \rutger wrote that 'time to die' bit with the doves himself and they just managed to shoe the shooting in, complete with dove as dawn broke over the set. What epic timing!

There's an interesting bit in one of the documentaries on the directors cut DVD where they talk about how Scott's original idea was to extend the meeting of Roy Batty and Eldon Tyrell, and showing Moebius' sketches for some sort of upper chamber inside the building, a huge room with some sort of sarcophagus where Tyrell's remains(?) would lie (even more reminiscent of the master-slave allegory: The creator Tyrell as the godlike Pharaoh, or perhaps hinting that he was some sort of monstrous mutant cyborg creation himself, also above nature?) Hmm, I'm overthinking this...
Found it!
Tyrell's Cyronic Chamber

BR-Cryo2.gif

David Peoples explains that "The cryonic chamber sequence was one of the things Hampton hadn't wanted to write, I think. But Ridley really wanted that in. So what I came up with was scene where Sebastian takes Roy into this huge frozen room and you see the real Tyrell lying in state in a capsule. J.F. tells Roy Tyrell had suffered a fatal disease, so he'd had himself frozen to wait for a cure. Roy then tells Sebastian to wake him up. But J.F. breaks down and confesses that he screwed up somehow in the past and accidentally killed the real Tyrell while the guy was in frozen suspension. Then Batty freaks out and smears Sebastian all over the wall of this crypt.

"That's what I put down on paper. But I'd had another idea for that scene, too. Instead of going with the cryogenics, I'd suggested that Roy would discover that Tyrell's brain had been transplanted into the body of a shark housed inside a giant aquarium, with all sorts of leads coming out of it. An idea I was surprised to see turning up this year [1995] in a very similar scene in the film Johnny Mnemonic."

BR-Cryo1.gif

Rutger Hauger now reveals that: "When I initially came on the picture, there was a big, surprising sequence following my murder of Tyrell that was scripted and supposed to be shot. But it never was. That was unfortunate, because it was one of my favorites.

"After Tyrell says he can't make me live longer than four years and I kill him, originally I was then going to say, 'Now take me to the real maker.' And Sebastian and I were going to go up one more floor in the Tyrell Pyramid, Sebastian was going to take a key from around his neck and open a door, and the whole level was going to be revealed as a huge freezing chamber. And inside of it, the real Tyrell lay dead and frozen.

"That was going to be the moment where Batty finally snaps. Because the real maker is dead, and he can't do anything to extend Roy's life. So I had to mentally incorporate that cut scene into my performance while I was killing the real Tyrell, to suggest Batty's feelings of lost hope.

"But if we'd had that cryogenic scene I would have done Tyrell's murder quite differently. Because if Roy knew this Tyrell was only a replicant, I would have just crushed him like a bug. I wouldn't have had to kill Sebastian, either, although that cut scene had been written that way. Why do that? Sebastian's just a pawn, and a nice guy besides. I didn't have to kill him."

[ Source: Future Noir (p. 176-177) ]
http://curiousconstructs.com/bladerunner/lost/BRL-Tyrell.html

docu I saw speculated that the chamber was were tyrell changed his existing memories into new andy bodies, his original body having died a long time back

Back
Top Bottom