Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blade Runner's on the telly

I'm conflicted on the V/O. On the one hand Fords clearly compelled lazy shit delivery style that borders on sarcasm does add a chandleresque quality to the film. On the other hand its clearly better with out the V/O. It's like two different films.

iirc didn't BR use a lot of the sets from Alien?
The often mentioned smoking gun of Aliens and Blade Runner being on the same universe is the Nostromo sharing interface with Spinners:
alien_vs_blade_runner-copy.jpg

iirc didn't BR use a lot of the sets from Alien?
At some point in Alien there is a background humming noise increasing and decreasing in pitch are regular intervals. Not entirely clear what it's from- I guess it's part of the ambience. Exactly the same noise can be heard in Blade Runner. Never heard anyone comment on it, but I can't be the only one to have noticed...

I always quite liked the crappy voiceover, it gave it a film noir hommage feel I think- but can't remember having seen that version anywhere for years and years... (we used to have it on VHS). I've warmed a bit to the director's cut in later years though, as it doesn't interrupt Rutger's 'Time to die' speech like the old version did. And it gives more space to the music and the surroundings.

One scene which was never shown in the 1980s edit was Deckard's unicorn dream, in fact it changes the whole interpretation of the film: Deckard's boss likes to leave these little origami unicorns as some sort of hint to him, implying that he knows about the dream- which would strongly suggest that Deckard might also be a replicant (the dream being a fake memory implant, like Rachel's fake memories about her family- Deckard have never told anyone about his dream, so if his boss knows then that would also mean that his unicorns are some sort of friendly warning to tell him to get out of there, because he will be next and they will be coming for him... even more depressing and hopeless than the first version ending where it was only Rachel's life they needed to defend)

Another interesting thing is that in Philip K. Dick's original novel, the replicants after Deckard's initial sympathy show themselves to be callous and inhumane: They rip the legs off a spider and kill it (IIRC) without even a hint of empathy or remorse... This makes Deckards distance himself from them and see them just as monsters. Completely the opposite scenario from the film, where he gravitates towards actually breaking the law and giving up his whole life just to protect and be with one of them, because he's decided that Rachel's life is worth more than the laws of his society, he's taken a moral stance even though he knows he'll be punished for it.

The blurred lines between who's actually the monsters here- the replicants, who didn't ask to be 'born' (created as short-lived robot slaves to serve humankind) and only try to save themselves and actually bond together to help each other fight for their lives, or the humans who brutally hunt down and 'retire' the replicants without any empathy...

There's a Spartacus aspect to Rutger's character (Roy Batty, the replicant leader), aswell- the escaped rebel slave out to end oppression. He fails, but at least he manages to make a point by (SPOILER) literally crushing his own maker, dr. Eldon Tyrell... how Biblical of him. An eye for an eye (well, two eyes actually... yurgh.) (SPOILER) The 'release the dove' symbolising the soul etc. is also a bit obvious, but still beautiful though.

There's an interesting bit in one of the documentaries on the directors cut DVD where they talk about how Scott's original idea was to extend the meeting of Roy Batty and Eldon Tyrell, and showing Moebius' sketches for some sort of upper chamber inside the building, a huge room with some sort of sarcophagus where Tyrell's remains(?) would lie (even more reminiscent of the master-slave allegory: The creator Tyrell as the godlike Pharaoh, or perhaps hinting that he was some sort of monstrous mutant cyborg creation himself, also above nature?) Hmm, I'm overthinking this...

(*Allright, I've Titanicked the thread now probably by being boring and longwinded as usual, time for tea now...)

Last edited:
^ wow, that was quite nice actually... (what was the black potato on a silver plate meant to symbolise? :hmm: )
i've heard them namedropped all over the place, but never heard any of their tracks (...until now! thanks :D )

BTW I was a glum, bent 14-year-old the first time I watched my dad's faded VHS of Blade Runner, but I still wanted Roy Batty, I mean Rutger Hauer, I mean Rutger Hauer playing Roy Batty back in 1981, if I'd had a time machine... Proper crush. :oops:

Last edited:
Another interesting thing is that in Philip K. Dick's original novel, the replicants after Deckard's initial sympathy show themselves to be callous and inhumane: They rip the legs off a spider and kill it (IIRC) without even a hint of empathy or remorse... This makes Deckards distance himself from them and see them just as monsters. Completely the opposite scenario from the film, where he gravitates towards actually breaking the law and giving up his whole life just to protect and be with one of them, because he's decided that Rachel's life is worth more than the laws of his society, he's taken a moral stance even though he knows he'll be punished for it.

The blurred lines between who's actually the monsters here- the replicants, who didn't ask to be 'born' (created as short-lived robot slaves to serve humankind) and only try to save themselves and actually bond together to help each other fight for their lives, or the humans who brutally hunt down and 'retire' the replicants without any empathy...

The sadistic behaviour of fellow bounty hunter Phil Resch in putting down an andy helps contribute to a crisis in Deckard. As the title of the book suggests, he is after them so the bounty money can maybe help pay for a real animal (prized possessions of status in that poisoned world), a pet that he thinks will help save his failing marriage. Baty is protective and encouraging towards a naive Pris (who tortures the spider), giving her literature of earth to read, which helps to give her ideas of what life can be like beyond slavery.

Is that the one with the voiceover? I can't put it on, I'm watching Educating the East End on 4od.

this ones 'final cut' as opposed to 'directors cut'

not sure whats been added/taken away from the directors cut version. But this is the 2007 release. Theres a prog on the making of after as well

Oh, is this the one
where they go back to the apartment at the end and then there's the shot of them driving in the car?

Wouldn't mind seeing the program but I'm not going to stay up, might watch it on iplayer later.

It's never occurred to me before how much Rutger Hauer's character appears to have some of his voice mannerisms modelled on Richard Burton.

Back
Top Bottom