Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Lives Matter demos and protests UK, 2020-2021

Well, there is another great historical tradition in Bristol, that is Bristolians acting together to destroy statues of their oppressors and institutions that oppress them. From the ‘mob’ who put out the eyes of a prominent slave trader in 1090, the crowds who pulled down the statue of George III in 1813 to those who added the cap of liberty to William III’s statue as fires raged in the Mansion House in Queen Square and the prisons in the 1831 uprising; Bristolians have a long history of sorting these things out, quickly, decisively (and whilst partying at the same time).

One by one the Colston dominoes are falling.

They could tell the home secretary they've been unable to identify the perpetrators. Which is something they're perfectly happy to do in other contexts. They could find that the pertinent CCTV footage had mysteriously disappeared, which also happens all the time.

As happened with Sean Rigg:
The head of a Metropolitan police station where a man died has been recorded on tape promising that CCTV cameras were working and tape from them had been seized – weeks before investigators told the man's family that the footage was missing.

I think it’s worth reminding people what the slave trade actually meant. Mass kidnapping, rape, torture, starvation, imprisonment, murder, dismemberment, mental and physical abuse of all, every and the worst kind. Somehow the phrase ‘the slave trade’ sanitises all this a bit.

Would anyone consider a statue to Charles Manson, or Fred West, or the Yorkshire Ripper?

I think it’s worth reminding people what the slave trade actually meant. Mass kidnapping, rape, torture, starvation, imprisonment, murder, dismemberment, mental and physical abuse of all, every and the worst kind. Somehow the phrase ‘the slave trade’ sanitises all this a bit.

Would anyone consider a statue to Charles Manson, or Fred West, or the Yorkshire Ripper?

I understand what you want to say but all this persons don´t stand for an whole time period. So there is no resaon to give them an statue.
these are individual Events. If Charles Manson startet an time period for over 100 years or so, i think you could discuss it.
There are also some statues of bad events, nobody wants to tear down a plague column. Every war memorial is bad for one side and "good" for the winning side.

There are also some statues of bad events, nobody wants to tear down a plague column. Every war memorial is bad for one side and "good" for the winning side.
So what? This wasn't a memorial to those who were enslaved. Sorry, it's hard not to go Godwin here, but I think the comparison is justified - you wouldn't put a statue of Hitler on a memorial to the Holocaust.

I understand what you want to say but all this persons don´t stand for an whole time period. So there is no resaon to give them an statue.
these are individual Events. If Charles Manson startet an time period for over 100 years or so, i think you could discuss it.
There isn't two sides to this story you pranny.

So much better this way, a proper sendoff, than if the machinery of local government had finally agreed to its removal in a few years time and contractors vanished it in the night with no ceremony. And because of yesterday people are now talking about how the wealth of this country was built on slavery and that’s one of the things we most need to do here imo, teach it properly in schools etc.

Rhodes' statue is made of stone, inside college grounds and two stories up. They're going to need some ninja skillz to pull that one off without anyone getting hurt.
Are you a problem-finder or a problem-solver?

Well, which is it, pilgrim? :mad:

Back
Top Bottom