Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black clothes dye advice wanted

TopCat

Putin fanboy
I bought two expensive paid of black cords and got bleach on both of them.

I want to dye them but haven’t tried dying for years and years.

Washing machine pods by dylon. Ok?

Any tips or advice for this twit?

I’ve used the pods quite a few times, on sofa covers and bed linens, they’ve always worked perfectly, apart from one time when I overloaded the machine. The pods have a guide to how many you need for what weight of dry fabric, and clear instructions on how to use. All very straightforward

Interested in this as some black jogging bottoms got bleached by the sun and I considered dye as a cheaper solution to just binning them but never performed that type of manoeuvre.

I used a dylon intense black pod on two pairs of expensive cords. A good result. No sign of the bleach marks. Quite pleased with this.

Thanks for the advice.
Was the washing machine clean after use or would I be worried about dying further washes?

Was the washing machine clean after use or would I be worried about dying further washes?
It normally recommends a wash cycle with an empty machine after, to get rid of any residual. Sometimes I've not bothered if my next wash was one that wouldn't be affected.

I dyed some curtains with Dylon pods. The results were a little bit patchy if you looked closely.

(I was dying old sun-faded peachy coloured ones a green colour. They came in a rented flat and I would've binned them if it hadn't worked. They were a woven damask-type fabric, a pattern which meant the slight patchiness wasn't very noticeable. I figured it was my fault for doing 2 x two curtains for a big bay window.)

My advice would be to do your corduroy trousers separately, so they get to properly swirl and swish the dye all around. Although it might not be necessary as they're only trousers, that would just be me playing it (too) safe after the curtains.

The other issue with dying, which won't matter to you as you're dying something that's already black, but for future reference, is that when people are checking what the fabric is and whether that's dye-able (off the top of my head, I think it's natural fibres, yes; synthetic fibres, no), the label doesn't usually say whether the thread used to sew the item is cotton or synthetic fibre.

This means that if someone decided to dye a pink dress red, or some green trousers black, or whatever, you don't know if the dye is going to take on the thread, so you might end up with a red dress with pink or white showing on the seams, or black trousers with green thread on the seams.

Back
Top Bottom