Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Guitar Solo ever.

I did look but couldn't find a thread (which I'm slightly surprised about).

So what are you fave guitar solos?

Here's a couple to start you off with.

The Cardiacs - Is This The Life

Tim Smith applying a wall of sonics and bleeding fingers to raise the already brilliant track to another level. (Listen from 2.20 onwards to get the sax solo beforehand too).

Nine Inch Nails - The Big Come Down

]

Recorded live on the "And All That Could Have Been" tour, Aaron North literally plays one note and then takes Tim Smiths version of sonics and multiplies it x100. Ably supported by Twiggy Ramirez (Marylin Mason on bass) There's no way on earth he will ever recreate that solo again. Listen from 2.30 to witness the intensity.

Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne etc - While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Recorded for the 2004 Hall Of Fame induction ceremony the song is going well enough until a previously unseen (and unannounced) Prince pops up with an incendiary solo replete with the necessary facial gurns. It's beautiful and shows how under rated he was as a guitarist.

But where does the guitar go at the end when he throws it in the air?

Watch from 3.00 mins in.Dhani Harrison can't quiet believe what's he's seeing.

What amazing guitar solos have I missed? Any type any genre.

Last edited:

:p

I could probably source dozens of tecnically brilliant solos but the actual 'best' ones IMO are usually always the short and distinct ones which are carved into the brains of zillions of people worldwide because they just make the song.

e.g. Eddie Van Halan doing the solo in Beat It. I don't even need to post it up.

Seen them a few times, with or without Lou, once (Mike Johnson on bass) they were so loud it was actually too loud to comfortably hear anything.
When I saw them on their first reunion tour J was turned up so loud you could barely hear Lou and Murph at all. It was fucking amazing. I'd seen them bitd and have seen them many times since but it's never been as good as that.

Seen them a few times, with or without Lou, once (Mike Johnson on bass) they were so loud it was actually too loud to comfortably hear anything.
I loved the article about their live versions of The Cure's Just like heaven which said something like "Mascis used the second solo as an opportunity to render a hole in the space/time continuum"

Best solo of his for me is from Raisans, I love how it almost seems to get away from him like a mad dog straining at a lead, all the time actually fitting with the music, unlike a lot of virtuoso widdlers - listen from around 2.15. That guitar tone, fucking hell

I don’t really count Maggot Brain as a solo as such: the lead guitar part is the song. J Mascis is similar: his guitar work is all over the song, ornamenting it. Like Richard Thompson’s work on Fairport’s version of Who Knows Where the Time Goes. It’s more fills, countermelody and obbligato.

A solo is more an instrumental break. A good solo is one that serves the song rather than overpowers it. A great solo is one you can’t imagine the song without, and which you’d sing if you were singing the song around a campfire without the recorded version to hand.

Before Fairport went a bit too folkie for my liking, I wish they’d gone down this jazzy acid rock direction a little more. Richard Thompson’s rhythm playing and 2 solos in this make the song take off and soar:

A solo is more an instrumental break. A good solo is one that serves the song rather than overpowers it. A great solo is one you can’t imagine the song without, and which you’d sing if you were singing the song around a campfire without the recorded version to hand.
I agree with this, a lot of Pavement songs are good for this, I don't even know who plays them but they are integral to the songs... they only short and barely played sometimes but perfect for the song

See also Pixies

Last edited:
Think Southern Rock band, who lost several members in a plane crash and their signature tune* that goes on for years - esp. live

(* unfortunate wording there but perhaps it’s a Freudian slip on my part wishing the song had been lost in the crash as well)

So what are you fave guitar solos?

Here's a couple to start you off with.

The Cardiacs - Is This The Life

Tim Smith applying a wall of sonics and bleeding fingers to raise the already brilliant track to another level. (Listen from 2.20 onwards to get the sax solo beforehand too).

Nine Inch Nails - The Big Come Down

]

Recorded live on the "And All That Could Have Been" tour, Aaron North literally plays one note and then takes Tim Smiths version of sonics and multiplies it x100. Ably supported by Twiggy Ramirez (Marylin Mason on bass) There's no way on earth he will ever recreate that solo again. Listen from 2.30 to witness the intensity.

Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne etc - While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Recorded for the 2004 Hall Of Fame induction ceremony the song is going well enough until a previously unseen (and unannounced) Prince pops up with an incendiary solo replete with the necessary facial gurns. It's beautiful and shows how under rated he was as a guitarist.

But where does the guitar go at the end when he throws it in the air?

Watch from 3.00 mins in.Dhani Harrison can't quiet believe what's he's seeing.

What amazing guitar solos have I missed? Any type any genre.

:p
Or even 🤣

Think Southern Rock band, who lost several members in a plane crash and their signature tune* that goes on for years - esp. live

(* unfortunate wording there but perhaps it’s a Freudian slip on my part wishing the song had been lost in the crash as well)

Ah! Lynyrd Skynyrd 'Freebird'. :)

Back
Top Bottom