Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beavertown brewery sells up fully to Heineken

editor

hiraethified
So Beavertown follows the Brixton Brewery...

Beavertown has become the latest craft brewer to be swallowed up by a global drinks corporation, after Heineken bought the 51% of the company it did not already own, in a deal likely to net its founder tens of millions of pounds.

The Dutch multinational bought a minority stake in Beavertown in 2018, with the £40m proceeds used to fund expansion, including the construction of a new brewery in Enfield, London.

Landmark buyouts in the sector include Camden Brewery’s sale to the Budweiser owner, AB InBev, SABMiller’s purchase of Meantime, Carlsberg’s takeover of London Fields and Heineken’s acquisition of a stake in Brixton brewery.

The flood of money-spinning takeovers has raised questions about the meaning of the term craft brewer, a label that some in the industry see as requiring independence from ownership by a major corporation.

'Craft beer' in mainstream pubs is absolute nonsense. As I said on the pint thread, I paid £7.80 for a beavertown yesterday. And it was pretty much just the same as a 'normal' beer.

Can't really blame them for cashing in though.

There'll be a price hike; they did that with Brixton which is way more expensive to buy a barrel of than say Signature.

I remember the gnashing of teeth after the initial part sale. There are very vocal "purists" out there who defend craft beer and breweries to the death. This isn't surprising news, mind. Heineken have their interests in getting a "new" brand into mainstream pubs.

(As for Brixton, I paid £5.80 in Southport for a pint of theirs last week.)

I remember the gnashing of teeth after the initial part sale. There are very vocal "purists" out there who defend craft beer and breweries to the death. This isn't surprising news, mind. Heineken have their interests in getting a "new" brand into mainstream pubs.

(As for Brixton, I paid £5.80 in Southport for a pint of theirs last week.)
Beavertown is in most of the pubs near me , but since it started up in North London, that isn't suprising. There was a similar tale involving a favourite ale of mine - Dark Star , which is or was brewed near Brighton. I used to see it in a lot of my locals - then they got bought by Fullers - so I only saw it occasionally in Fuller's pubs, then a Japanese brewery bought the Fuller's brewing side - and I haven't seen Dark Star behind the bar in ages (although haven't been to a Fuller's pub). Seemed easier to buy when they were independent.

Beavertown is in most of the pubs near me , but since it started up in North London, that isn't suprising. There was a similar tale involving a favourite ale of mine - Dark Star , which is or was brewed near Brighton. I used to see it in a lot of my locals - then they got bought by Fullers - so I only saw it occasionally in Fuller's pubs, then a Japanese brewery bought the Fuller's brewing side - and I haven't seen Dark Star behind the bar in ages (although haven't been to a Fuller's pub). Seemed easier to buy when they were independent.
Dark Star was a favourite of mine too. A pint of Green Hopped IPA is still the best ale I have ever tasted.

It's the way British business works these days. Found a business, grow it, sell out to Mega Corp, and pocket the cash. "Entrepreneurs" are planning their exit strategy before they've sold anything.

Dark Star is served in the Harp over the road from Charing Cross police station (which is a Fullers pub in disguise).

Never tried it because it's just smaller tins for more money. The fact that very business model has been such a huge success for so many people is a neat little summary of why the human species is doomed.

Back
Top Bottom