Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Not yet, just off to boots now to see what they have.

The Bare Minerals woman was on lunch and I couldn't be arsed to wait around. I thought other people covered the counters but no-one else seemed keen to do a consultation.

I'll go over again at the weekend.

Consultation? Uh?

: D I take it you've never had your face done in John Lewis then? ; )

I didn't want to spend 25 quid without checking I've bought the right shade and stuff. They apply it for you so you can see what you think without splashing the cash. Plus, you sometimes get samples.

I couldn't try it myself as I already had foundation and concealer on.

: D I take it you've never had your face done in John Lewis then? ; )

I didn't want to spend 25 quid without checking I've bought the right shade and stuff. They apply it for you so you can see what you think without splashing the cash. Plus, you sometimes get samples.

I couldn't try it myself as I already had foundation and concealer on.
Oh I seeeee! No, never even been in John Lewis I don't think :D Eek though - 25 notes?! I thought the Loreal stuff was expensive at £14! :eek:

Oh I seeeee! No, never even been in John Lewis I don't think :D Eek though - 25 notes?! I thought the Loreal stuff was expensive at £14! :eek:
To be fair though their price promise thingy means they will actually be the cheapest for whatever expensive brand you buy.

I've been getting foundation and bras in there for years as I know I need an expensive brand in those anyway.

None of the shades seemed right in the Loreal one, I'll have to go back bare-faced which I hate.

I'm hoping the Bare Minerals is 25 quid because it's a magic refillable pot or lasts forever. ; )

sojourner and sparklefish you can buy smaller and cheaper pots on ebay or if you look on QVC's website (don't judge me :mad:) you can find kits where you'll get the foundation and a brush and other items in kits for the price you'd pay for a full size one in John Lewis, just be sure to check how big the pots are as I once ordered a kit from there expecting it all to be full sizes and it wasn't. Because I am thick like that.

sojourner and sparklefish you can buy smaller and cheaper pots on ebay or if you look on QVC's website (don't judge me :mad:) you can find kits where you'll get the foundation and a brush and other items in kits for the price you'd pay for a full size one in John Lewis, just be sure to check how big the pots are as I once ordered a kit from there expecting it all to be full sizes and it wasn't. Because I am thick like that.

Thanks, I have seen the starter kits. I'll have a look online but I'm unsure about buying make-up on eBay now. I was sold a fake Benefit erase paste a while back, god know what was actually in it but it smelled very odd.

Thanks, I have seen the starter kits. I'll have a look online but I'm unsure about buying make-up on eBay now. I was sold a fake Benefit erase paste a while back, god know what was actually in it but it smelled very odd.
Yeah, it's a gamble sometimes. With QVC though you can try it, use it for a few weeks and still return it if you don't get on with it, you only lose the P&P charges so its a good way of trying out new brands.

Yeah, it's a gamble sometimes. With QVC though you can try it, use it for a few weeks and still return it if you don't get on with it, you only lose the P&P charges so its a good way of trying out new brands.

Cool, I'll check QVC out. I used to watch it a bit when my mate was shagging one of the presenters. : D

I got the bare minerals starter kit from somewhere online - lookfantastic possibly? Anyway - it doesn't work on me - my skin is too dry (despite the fact that I get spots) and it just made me look really 'made up' which I hate. BUT I absolutely love the concealer powder stuff and also the translucent powder finish (or whatever the hell they're called). I ran out of the finishing powder fairly fast but the concealer pot (despite being absolutely weeny) is still going strong. The brushes are pretty good too.

My new recommendation is Estee Lauder Double Wear mascara. I have really deep set eyes which means that my eyelashes (short though they are) bat against my skin and I am cursed with great smudges under my eyes after several hours, no matter what. My friend recommended this to me, I wore it to Legoland today for 8 hours outside in the boiling sun and numerous splashy rides today and it's STAYED PUT. No smudges, no running, nada. It doesn't even say it's waterproof

I am seriously impressed. It's expensive but no more than many brands that promise the earth and don't deliver

I got the bare minerals starter kit from somewhere online - lookfantastic possibly? Anyway - it doesn't work on me - my skin is too dry (despite the fact that I get spots) and it just made me look really 'made up' which I hate.
Are you absolutely positive you've given it enough of a try? The first two or three times I wore it, it looked like that on me - sort of chalky and sitting on top of the skin. It turned out I was both using too much (I thought to myself this stuff couldn't POSSIBLY give enough coverage) and not brushing it in enough. Use a small amount and brush it loads with circular motions. If you still have some, like. I'm not suggesting buying another extortionate pot if the stuff truly doesn't work for you!

Are you absolutely positive you've given it enough of a try? The first two or three times I wore it, it looked like that on me - sort of chalky and sitting on top of the skin. It turned out I was both using too much (I thought to myself this stuff couldn't POSSIBLY give enough coverage) and not brushing it in enough. Use a small amount and brush it loads with circular motions. If you still have some, like. I'm not suggesting buying another extortionate pot if the stuff truly doesn't work for you!
Hmm - maybe not. I've still got it so will give it another whirl (ho ho). Thanks :)

I also normally only wear tinted moisturiser or BB cream so that may be the issue

I had a Bare Minerals consultation and bought the starter kit I think for £48. It came with brushes, 2 foundation pots a concealer , mineral veil*, bronzer. I'm a total convert and always get compliments when I'm wearing it. For work I just use a BB cream or similar.

*the mineral veil just seems to set the make-up..ooh I'm struggling to describe it but it certainly seems to help more with the creases etc. I think this is £14 and IMO worth trying.

I buy my stuff elsewhere now as £25 is pricey.Also sort of thing that I would put on my xmas list.

I actually looked up videos of how to apply it and they said exactly this. I keep being amazed by how little you actually need - this stuff is amazing!

Hey, Beauty Products that Work Team! Is there anything that works for frizzy hair? I have really dry hair. I try to limit washing it, and don't colour it. Sometimes I'll even just wash it with water rather than shampoo, and then use conditioner. I use Frizz Ease Secret Agent, which improves it a good bit, but my hair's still fluffy. Has anyone tried Brazilian keratin? It costs a fortune, but it might be worth it if it gave me hair ad hair (yes, I know that the hair in those ads is often extensions).

It'd dry it out even more, so yes.
Is yours straight or wavy? I have dry curly hair, and use the full range of Frizz Ease - shampoo (sparingly), conditioner, styling spray. And never ever brush or comb. It keeps it just about manageable. I also use Henna Wax conditioner from time to time.

I get laughed at for it but love Vitapoint. Old ladies leave in conditioner for when hair is dried. Small amount warmed up over my palms then run over frizzy bits. Too much and you're a grease bomb.

Yes, it is curly/wavey/fuzzy. I would like it to be proper curly. What Vitapoint and were would I get it? Does it smell ok?

Have you tried frizz ease dream curls? I use that (my hair is wavy with a layer of frizz). My sister has v curly hair which is much finer than mine and she uses some Paul Mitchell stuff on it which makes her hair into lovely non frizzy ringlets. Smells divine too

Have you tried frizz ease dream curls? I use that (my hair is wavy with a layer of frizz). My sister has v curly hair which is much finer than mine and she uses some Paul Mitchell stuff on it which makes her hair into lovely non frizzy ringlets. Smells divine too
Gloss drops? I use that (sparingly), it's v good and lasts for ages.

Argan Oil is my latest revelation for calming down my bonkers frizz.
And I'll second madamv - Vitapointe is good stuff, too.
Aveda's Be Curly is pretty good.
And Wilkinson's own brand hair serum is splendid.
Needless to say, the WIlko one is as cheap as chips and the Aveda one is rather spendy.

Its from boots or superdrug... Maybe independents? Smells fine, nothing really. Cheap too.

We also use argan oil but I don't find it as good on my (damaged) hair. Works beautifully on my 10 yr olds perfect hair though. Sleek and soft and shiny. Now I know what my mum meant when she kept saying 'oh don't colour your hair' :D

I've recently discovered Avon's lotus shield anti-frizz which does the trick without being too heavy. I also like this Aussie Miracle 2 in 1 stuff:
http://www.superdrug.com/aussie/aussie-dual-personality-curl-definition soft-feel-serum/invt/428442

There is a school of thought that says that products with silicone in them actually dry your hair and make it frizzier over time. I keep meaning to give the curly girl/no-poo method a try.
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair
Has anyone here done it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom