Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I've found a few recently, so I've started a thread where we can share our favourites...

Having spent years not bothering with any of this shit, I think I've become a bit obsessed. :oops:

Me too. Recently I have become addicted to Sali Hughes in the Guardian. I have since got into Serums, night cream, bought an excellent electric toothbrush, Mac strobe cream, and a crap towel which is supposed to be great for drying your hair in record time.

:D I've got one of those - I give it about a year's more life as a crap towel before it becomes a floorcloth.

If you mean the turbie towel, IME they're not great for drying long hair, but they are good for keeping my hair completely off my face and neck while washing/ using face packs etc. OTOH VP loves it, but he's got a large head and short hair. The only other towel which'll stay put on his head is a bath sheet - far too heavy!

If you mean the microfibre type towels - they're not bad if you have to take a towel when travelling, but I prefer a real towel.

If you mean the microfibre type towels - they're not bad if you have to take a towel when travelling, but I prefer a real towel.

It's one of those. I might actually use it for the first purpose you suggest, though!

I am intrigued by facial and hair oils but a bit scared to try, as I naturally tend towards the greasy. How do you use them and will they make me look and feel like an old chip pan?
Just pat a thin layer on, and leave. I don't know about hair oil. I bought some Nuxe oil but it is just sat there in my bathroom, smelling wonderful. Lovely on face etc, but I sprayed too much on my hair, and got the full chip-pan effect.

Encouraged by Sali Hughes (see above) I decided to buy the Clarins Blue Orchid, or something wildly glamorous, facial oil, but the assistant looked at me and said, No, this one is for you". It was boring old Sandalwood / 'Santal' oil, but was utterly brilliant. I'm just trying out something else that Sali raved about. I never bothered with this crap before but now I think it's fun. Most of it just stacks up, unused. Don't mention the Nars concealer.

Boots no 7 matte makeup base is perfect for shiny noses :)

I'm completely rubbish with this sort of stuff. Someone in work gave me a 'primer' to try - is this the same sort of thing?

Can you really put foundation over the top and it not be affected? Cos at the moment I use powder to make it stop being shiny.

I'm completely rubbish with this sort of stuff. Someone in work gave me a 'primer' to try - is this the same sort of thing?

Can you really put foundation over the top and it not be affected? Cos at the moment I use powder to make it stop being shiny.
Yes, it's a bit like that. Each tube lasts me years because you only need a tiny bit on whatever area of your face is prone to getting a bit shiny. Then you just put foundation over the top. It means you don't get that build up of powder being reapplied over the course of a long day.

Yes, it's a bit like that. Each tube lasts me years because you only need a tiny bit on whatever area of your face is prone to getting a bit shiny. Then you just put foundation over the top. It means you don't get that build up of powder being reapplied over the course of a long day.

Hmmmm. Might get some of that then! Ta :)

I used to have that primer for pale people with red hair and blotchyness.
The stuff that is green and makes you think WTF? But it really works toning down any redness and hiding the broken blood vessels I have on my nose that make me look like Mr Percy Snodgrass :D

I can't bloody remember what it's called though. :facepalm:

Ah I think this is it but they have changed the bottle since I had it last. http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Colour-Calming-Primer-Green-40ml_1273865/

I used to have that primer for pale people with red hair and blotchyness.
The stuff that is green and makes you think WTF? But it really works toning down any redness and hiding the broken blood vessels I have on my nose that make me look like Mr Percy Snodgrass :D

I can't bloody remember what it's called though. :facepalm:

Ah I think this is it but they have changed the bottle since I had it last. http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Colour-Calming-Primer-Green-40ml_1273865/

If you're into pain and giving away money you can get the broken spider veins treated by electrolysis, I had some done about 18 months ago and it was mega, well worth it.

If you're into pain and giving away money you can get the broken spider veins treated by electrolysis, I had some done about 18 months ago and it was mega, well worth it.

I would love to have that done but I don't think my benefits are going to stretch that far :D

ote="zenie, post: 12435216, member: 17597"]I need something to reduce large pores :([/quote]
Ive been using benefit poreissimo. It's pricey but lasts ages. I would try sudocrem but it's a bit heavy and im prone to spots. Also have broken blood vessels and that green concealer makes me look like the hulk *sigh*

I use Bare Minerals powders rather than foundation. I bought a starter kit for £48 last year. It gives the best flawless coverage from anything else I have used. I also like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm and Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.

It's not really a product but I had a facial yesterday and it was brilliant, my skin is all glowy now. I think I'll try to keep going regularly. The extraction part was great :)

ote="zenie, post: 12435216, member: 17597"]I need something to reduce large pores :(
Ive been using benefit poreissimo. It's pricey but lasts ages. I would try sudocrem but it's a bit heavy and im prone to spots. Also have broken blood vessels and that green concealer makes me look like the hulk *sigh*[/quote]

I too have very open pores and broken blood vessels. We need a wonder product for both!
My skin is very oily so I don't think sudocrem would be a good idea for me.

It's not really a product but I had a facial yesterday and it was brilliant, my skin is all glowy now. I think I'll try to keep going regularly. The extraction part was great :)
i love facials. had one at the start of the holidays and might look for a groupon for another before i go back to school...

Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish... the last few weeks if I have it on people have said I look really well, otherwise they comment that I look tired/knackered/run down (which I am whether I wear it or not :D).

Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish... the last few weeks if I have it on people have said I look really well, otherwise they comment that I look tired/knackered/run down (which I am whether I wear it or not :D).

The mineral powder?
That's not too pricey actually and I need a new foundation.
My lovely Clarins one the pump has broken :(

Pump on a powder? :hmm:

Yep its a minerals thing - seems to work and lasts quite a while for me, but I don't wear make up most days :hmm:

Pump on a powder? :hmm:

Yep its a minerals thing - seems to work and lasts quite a while for me, but I don't wear make up most days :hmm:

No pump on cream, I was asking of yours was a powder :)
Sorry I didn't word it very well :oops:

I don't wear make up most days but when I do, I notice the cream ones make me look more lined and a bit craggy.
I see if I can get a mineral powder one.

Back
Top Bottom