Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

beatles songs which are actually quite good

I really like most of their early Merseybeat & ballad stuff (especially And I Love Her, The Night Before, In My Life & You've Got to Hide Your Love Away) but a lot of their later stuff I consider utter toss.

In particular, Rocky Raccoon, Maxwell's Silver Fucking Hammer & Birthday all set my teeth on edge.

Happiness is a warm gun? The Breeders did a cover of that, IIRC.

that is a great tune, but i just looked it up, the one I meant is I Want You (She's So Heavy). The whole end section sounds like some sort of proto stoner/post rock riff (to me anyway...) :cool:

i guess we've run out of good beatles songs then. sounds about right...

there's a delicious take of strawberry fields on one of them anthology albums - with some very big drums on it that i find pleasing and i know you would like killer....

you know my name (look up the number)...... tickles my fancy

blue jay way is simply stunningly beautiful and mellow

i love hey bulldog, wild honey pie and also for that matter, everything they ever recorded and i feel very cheesypoof writing all this.....

and like any sane minded person, helter skelter......

i aslo thorougly enjoy the "Ihate the beatles" albums which are really worth tracking down for bizarre cover versions - my favourite has to be the beatle barkers - it's dogs.... barking.....
http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp?AlbumID=67

Yesterday is just over done and over familiar, like Hey Jude, Long and Winding Road, In My Life etc..

Nothing actually wrong with them, there's just too much of them.

i'll let you have that for the others but The Long And Winding Road is just incredibly tedious - and not nearly as overplayed either

that is a great tune, but i just looked it up, the one I meant is I Want You (She's So Heavy). The whole end section sounds like some sort of proto stoner/post rock riff (to me anyway...) :cool:
It's a great riff.

Another great riff is the one from I Want To Tell You. (Which also as a mad piano harmony I like).

Has anyone said yet?

Have I posted on this thread already? :D

I spent my early childhood listening to them so I like many tracks - I do think Blackbird might be my favourite though, it's so simple and it still works for me.

Oh, I didn't know this, according to wikipedia
Blackbird was written by Paul McCartney, but credited as usual to Lennon/McCartney. McCartney was inspired to write this while in Scotland as a reaction to racial tensions escalating in America in the spring of 1968.[1]

I thought the song was about something else...

Has anyone said yet?

Have I posted on this thread already? :D

I spent my early childhood listening to them so I like many tracks - I do think Blackbird might be my favourite though, it's so simple and it still works for me.

It's about black birds, like. (in heavy Scouse aksent)

I can play it on't guitar, lovely song.

:)

Come Together, Tomorrow Never Knows, Day in The Life, Glass Onion, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Paperback Writer, Strawberry Fields, I Am The Walrus, Sun King, The End, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Helter Skelter and loads more.

It's about black birds, like. (in heavy Scouse aksent)

I can play it on't guitar, lovely song.

:)

:cool::cool:

can you really? Is it easy? If you still remember the chords do pass them on, my son is getting good at playing the guitar and might be able to learn.

I'll be a very happy mum if he ever plays Blackbird on the guitar for me :) very very happy indeed!

:cool::cool:

can you really? Is it easy? If you still remember the chords do pass them on, my son is getting good at playing the guitar and might be able to learn.

I'll be a very happy mum if he ever plays Blackbird on the guitar for me :) very very happy indeed!

Not that easy, to be honest. But I'll happily show him how to play it sometime. It's basically a g shape which you move up and down the fret board. :)

'blackbird' is a great song actually. thinking about it, most of my favourites are mccartney compositions... and most of my most hated too.

Strawberry Fields - Beatles fact, it was a youth detention centre.

I Am the Walrus -

A Day in the Life -

Lots of others I like but I think those are great songs.

Indeed. In my view they are both over-rated and over-slated.

Yeah. As usual you speaketh the voice of wisdom when it comes to music.

Overrated: By no means the 'best band ever' as some of their devotees seem to think. You do get these 60s snobs who think that nothing since has come even remotely close to the Beatles. Clear nonsense.

Overslated: a lot of people just say they are shit because they can. Clearly they were a very good and important pop/rock band.

All 'right thinking people'? Why? I mean, some songs are good, some bad, but is there some kind of arse licking cult going on here?

I think it's pretty much a reaction to the mythologising of the Beatles that has gone unchecked for the last 40+ years, where almost their entire canon is viewed as "good" when, to be frank, some of it is pish. It's not as if there weren't equally fine psychedelic albums around the time of "Sgt. Pepper's..." etc. I just see it as people taking a fresh perspective and saying "well, they had some good tunes, but they're not the musical legends they've been made out to be".

I think it's pretty much a reaction to the mythologising of the Beatles that has gone unchecked for the last 40+ years, where almost their entire canon is viewed as "good" when, to be frank, some of it is pish. It's not as if there weren't equally fine psychedelic albums around the time of "Sgt. Pepper's..." etc. I just see it as people taking a fresh perspective and saying "well, they had some good tunes, but they're not the musical legends they've been made out to be".

I think you're about bang on there but there's an added level of vitriol that comes for The Beatles which is based in a resentment at the amount of cultural space they've been allowed to monopolise at the expense of other equally/more worthy stuff. They STILL seem to warrant front covers in mags like Uncut (which was once quite good) and feckin' Mojo - and I know they're dad rock rags and the covers stars they get sell copies but, but, it just makes me seethe :mad::mad:

This is a stupid thread,:rolleyes: and a fashionable view to say you dont like them. Thats all it is - fashionable, like most fashionable things,complete bullshit. I cant think of one rubbish Beatles song and reckon anyone who hates the Beatles needs help.

This is a stupid thread,:rolleyes: and a fashionable view to say you dont like them. Thats all it is - fashionable, like most fashionable things,complete bullshit. I cant think of one rubbish Beatles song and reckon anyone who hates the Beatles needs help.

You go girl!!

:rolleyes: Your just as sad as the F.U.C.

I like Blackbird as well. It's often in my head, as we have a blackbird living in our garden at work.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Julia, which I think is a lovely song.

Back
Top Bottom