Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bearded Theory 2017 25-28 May. No. 10!

You've just reminded me of my (almost) top must see. They play so insanely rarely.

I'd loved them for years before, but they were absolutely brilliant at the Big Chill in 2008.

However, I'm far from convinced they've played any UK festival, or even gig, since then.

They're absolutely brilliant :cool: :cool:
Think its down to whether Adrianne Sherwood is doing the mixing/Dubbing efx etc,saw them play at some thing in ,i think Brockwell P ark,they were ok but lacked that sonic pulverising primal sound,which i suppose harder to recreate live then but now..if we do make it ill be down the front anyways:D

Just received the e-mail newsletter confirming "We have added a new real ale bar by Convoy Cabaret and The Ship and the Woodland will be holding a Real Ale and Cider festival for the entirety of the festival. In addition to the fantastic award-winning ales from Thornbridge, we have 50 ales and ciders on rotation in the Woodland addressing last year’s gripes about the selection not being good enough in the Woodland area."

Not that the choice of decent booze was ever an issue, but the best just got better! :)

You've beaten me to it, I was going to post that information!! :D :D

Also, I hear from FB (from someone in the know, Flip who runs the Dance Tent) that Bearded Theory tickets are almost sold out, so get moving everyone who hasn't yet secured theirs! :eek:

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea whether there'll be shuttles to and from the station? no mention on the site or efestivals or anywhere else that I can find.

Train tickets are cheap, but if there's no way of getting from the station to the site then the taxi fare will more than double to total travel cost.

Hang on Stig , I'm sure (very sure) that I've heard something about this. Will do a bit of digging.

ETA : Is this page any use for you? Those buses cost, but less than a taxi I reckon! :)

Last edited:
That info is from 2014.

They're not running any shuttle buses from stations this year, wasn't enough uptake last year.

OK, let's try again ... I posted the wrong page from the festival site, in rubbish post #64 above. Fuck knows what that old shuttle page from 2014 was doing still hanging around the Bearded Theory site.

I take it Stig that you've already thought about taking a National Express coach direct to site?

Looks like the one from London Victoria leaves from there at 7 am on Thursday 25th May, £43= return apparantly. If that's any good at all ...

National express sucks. I went somewhere on one of their coaches and they didnt stop for a break, even tho they were supposed to, so I couldn't have a cigarette.

Indeed. National Express sucks. Why pay upwards of 40 quid for a four hour hellish uncomfortable journey, when you can do the same journey by train in an hour and a half for £17?

The answer is of course, because there's no way of getting from the train station to site. :mad::facepalm::rolleyes:

Indeed. National Express sucks. Why pay upwards of 40 quid for a four hour hellish uncomfortable journey, when you can do the same journey by train in an hour and a half for £17?

The answer is of course, because there's no way of getting from the train station to site. :mad::facepalm::rolleyes:

Train is usually more expensive than national express.. But if in this case its not then why can't you just get a taxi from the train station to the site with the spare £23?

Train is usually more expensive than national express.. But if in this case its not then why can't you just get a taxi from the train station to the site with the spare £23?
"spare" lol.:p

I would assume taxis would be hugely expensive for that sort of distance and possibly refuse to take festivalgoers, but that might just be my londonyness talking. I'll phone round a few and ask, and see what the score is.

Our mate Andrew (the Tatton brewer) is coming from Manchester by National Express, which is why I'm talking about that as an option. I suppose Manc is a bit nearer to BT than London is though.

And agreed that London fare is not cheap ... in fact I was astonished it was that much.

I hope whatever option you end up with work out for you OK anyway though Stig

I'll start phoning taxi firms at some point soon, I just really really hate using phones so it's a bit of a stumbling block ATM. Maybe Monday.

Recently sent out in the Bearded newsletter, and now added to the website :

Bearded Theory said:
MAUI WAUI NEWS - Bearded Theory
Maui Waui line up is now concluded.
Friday is headlined by gypsy party band MR TEA & THE MINIONS and are joined alongside circus rock act PAPA SHANGO, club jazz act AFTER HOURS QUINTET, Norwich most famous rockabilly party band FAT N FURIOUS, indie rockers FICK AS FIEVES, TRAD QUINTET, ORSE FIRE and hillbilly skiffle fanatics DH LAWRENCE SKIFFLE SHOW.
Saturday is headlined by swing hiphop act CUP CAPERS and they are joined by swing jazz band BOMBA TITINKA, horror rock spectacle that is BLOODSHAKE CHORUS, folk act HEADSPACE, rockabilly band MOJOKINGS, folk band THE DIRTY OLD FOLKERS, Texas raised acoustic musician RODNEY BRANIGAN, fiddle driven boogie band BOWEAVIL and folk ska band BLACK THORN.
Sunday is topped by KARL PHILLIPS & THE REJECTS and joined by nautical rockers SEAS OF MIRTH, gypsy blues band IMMIGRANT SWING, ska reggae band THE DOWNSETTERS, folk band SOLANA, World Roots Dub band CULTURE DUB ORCHESTRA and country blues act DELTA BELTAS

Also, the all-important BEER news :

Bearded Theory said:
THE BARS -- Bearded Theory
Acko`s Bar and the Holy Goat (2 main arena bars) are still operated by the amazing award-winning brewery Thornbridge. This year we have another great selection of ales and ciders to tipple your fancy.

We have our own Bearded Theory Ale (3.8% golden bitter) back again, Lord Marples (4% classic British Bitter), AM PM (4.5% All day IPA), I Love You, Will U Marry Me (4.5% Strawberry Blonde), Jaipur (5.9% – IPA), Cocoa Wonderland (6.8% Chocolate Porter), Wild Swan (3.5% Pale Ale), Tzara (4.8% Koln Style Beer), Chron (5% American Pale), Kipling (5.2% South Pacific Pale), Wild Raven (6.6% Black IPA), St Petersburgh (7.4% Russian Stout), Halcyon (7.4% Imperial IPA), Erdinger Weissbier (5.6% Wheat Beer) and Guiness (4.2% tinned draught pint). Prices from £3.80 per pint to £4 depending on strength.

Lagers we have Thornbridge Helles Lager (4.2%) and Carling (4%) both £3.80 a pint.

Ciders we have Thatchers Gold (4.8%), Big Apple (5%), Cheddar Valley (6%), Stans Traditional (6%), Dog Dancer 6%), Black Dragon (7.2%), Old Rosie (7.3%), Magners Pear (4.8%), Mout Fruit (4%) and some ciders on rotation. Prices from £3.80 to £4.20 depending how mad you are.

The Woodland Bar and Convoy Bar will be rotating their own ales throughout the weekend with around 50 on circulation. :cool:
You can also bring your own beers into the arenas and campsites but please don’t take the proverbial.

17 each (with railcard) is Euston to Lichfield Trent Valley (1 hour, 29 minutes, direct). can't complain. :thumbs:
Lichfield Trent Valley is your best option from London. Burton is a gnats knicker closer but no direct trains from London.

It's insane that the boring village i grew up in now hosts such a cool festie. Not quite in the Glastonbury league obviously but I've heard it mentioned alongside Shambala etc.

"spare" lol.:p

I would assume taxis would be hugely expensive for that sort of distance and possibly refuse to take festivalgoers, but that might just be my londonyness talking..

That is definitely your Londonyness talking.

Certainly you could get a taxi from Burton on spec no problem - there is a taxi firm based at the station however LTV is a bit smaller and I'm not 100 per cent sure if they have a rank.

yeah, our tickets arrived too, can't wait - just got to repair the tent now, since some drunken fuck-stick fell into it and broke a pole last year :D (luckily we weren't in it at the time.)

I'll start phoning taxi firms at some point soon, I just really really hate using phones so it's a bit of a stumbling block ATM. Maybe Monday.
Hello :D Are you sorted, otherwise could try asking around, the Vloody lot have 70+ folk coming, someone may be able to pick you up?

Hello :D Are you sorted, otherwise could try asking around, the Vloody lot have 70+ folk coming, someone may be able to pick you up?
Hello! :D Thanks for reminding me; I need to book taxis today for this. After the first lift went utterly pear shaped I'm just going to go for the simple option I think. But thanks!

Back
Top Bottom