Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

'How wonderful is this Tony Allen track' - Mary Anne Hobbs... 30 secs before the end.

Yes, it was fucking wonderful until you interrupted and spoke over it. Why do most of them do this? To save time or something? Ravenscroft doesnt (I don't think)

To stop you recording from the radio onto a dodgy c120 cassette you louzy common theif you.

Was listening earlier and there was a decent show on and it came to Husker Du. The DJ bigged up Bob Mould as a singer then played a Grant Hart song.

I've heard Lamey do this a couple of times, reading out stuff she's had prepared for her and pretending she knows it but making a fundamental error that shows she really doesn't.

I've heard Lamey do this a couple of times, reading out stuff she's had prepared for her and pretending she knows it but making a fundamental error that shows she really doesn't.
since Liz Kershaw has been given the boot, I'd bet you any money it was Amy Lamé did this today.
sometime between 4 & 6 was it CNT36 ?

since Liz Kershaw has been given the boot, I'd bet you any money it was Amy Lamé did this today.
sometime between 4 & 6 was it CNT36 ?

It was, I was listening and remember her mentioning Husker Dü, I didn't know they had another singer though until CNT36 posted here.

I think we might be seeing the effects of the new boss, a few months on.

Can imagine a bit of a cull of some of the longest serving presenters. Probably more recruits from dance music stations. I'm kind of at the point where apart from one or two shows I wouldn't miss 6 Music that much if it wasn't there any more. Which is a real shame as I've been a listener since day 1.

With Grimshaw leaving 1, I can imagine there will be a lot of age related moves and swaps coming across the stations. 6 is quite late middle aged in parts.

Am enjoyed the new dance/hip hop/rave/etc direction.

There's still room for age specific music, of course.
It's not about age, it's about the station's output becoming more and more homogenous. I listen to 6 ( or used to) for the variety of music, both current and from the past 6 decades. There's plenty of dance music only stations if that's all you want to listen to.

It's not about age, it's about the station's output becoming more and more homogenous. I listen to 6 ( or used to) for the variety of music, both current and from the past 6 decades. There's plenty of dance music only stations if that's all you want to listen to.
Not at all. Finding it less homogeneous and more diversified.

I find the diversity increases primarily the range of uninteresting and instantly forgettable shite. The evenings and weekends are better. I know when it's good. I think wow that was a good twenty minutes. It feels like an occasion which is itself a problem.
Am well impressed with some of the young (guest DJs) who make me excited about music again.

And, still enjoying the documentaries, even if they are repeats and/or culled from other stations.

Seems like everyone's on holiday this week. It's been stand ins for each of the 3 shows since I started work this morning.

I think Ravenscroft mentioned on Friday he was back at home instead of the studio due to a covid contact.
Bad timing if he intended to be away on holiday this week.

Seems like everyone's on holiday this week. It's been stand ins for each of the 3 shows since I started work this morning.

Possibly a bit hungover after raving it up in one of the many covid factories that opened at midnight?

Craig Charles is the new host of the weekday afternoon show (1pm - 4pm), which will be an uplifting and eclectic mix of music and include guests from across the worlds of music, comedy, TV and film. The show will be broadcast from Salford from October 2021.

Craig says: “I’m made up to be able to present a brand new show on 6 Music later this year. So, join me each weekday afternoon for a cup of tea, a chat and where I’ll be playing some cracking tunes from across the musical spectrum. I can’t wait to get started - bring it on!”

Samantha Moy, Head of 6 Music, says: “Craig Charles has been part of the 6 Music family since we first arrived on the airwaves in 2002. Over the years, his Funk And Soul Show has become must-listen radio on Saturday nights - bags of brilliant records and loads of laughter. We can look forward to more of the same on weekday afternoons - with an even bigger record bag full of music from across the genres and eras, right up to the present day - here on 6 Music.”

Craig will continue to present The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show (Saturday, 6pm - 9pm) as well as The Craig Charles House Party on Radio 2 (Saturday 10pm-12am).

Craig takes over from Shaun Keaveny, who recently announced he was leaving 6 Music.

The station will also see changes elsewhere in the schedule.

Iggy Confidential, fronted by the ‘Godfather of Punk’ Iggy Pop, will be transporting his eclectic record box from Friday nights (7pm - 9pm) to a new home on Sunday afternoons (4pm - 6pm), following Guy Garvey (2pm - 4pm). Iggy will continue to play a huge array from tunes, from Sleaford Mods to TLC, Anna Meredith to Ray Charles.

Iggy says: “Whether you're dealing with the nettles in your garden, drinking pints, enjoying a rendezvous, making a roast, or just being secret, I'm gonna love having a Sunday afternoon hang on BBC Radio 6 Music. The music will flow and shift and I hope the time passes happily. This is making me grin.”

Amy Lamé will be waking up the nation with a heady mix of tunes as she moves from Sunday afternoons (4pm - 6pm) to Early Weekend Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings (6am - 8am).

Amy says: “I’m looking forward to meeting a whole new audience of 6 Music listeners, so do join me, whether you’re a night owl returning from a club dancefloor, or an early bird getting ready for your day.”

Chris Hawkins will continue to present Early Breakfast each weekday (5am - 7.30am).

The Radcliffe and Maconie Weekend Breakfast Show will now kick off an hour later and will be broadcast from 8am - 10am.

Mark Radcliffe says: “I'm thrilled to be continuing with the 6 Music Weekend Breakfast Show and even more thrilled that I get an extra hour in bed after the enlightened management have listened to my whinging. I'm getting on a bit you know and have been asking them to take pity on my age and decrepitude for some time. Stuart and I love doing the show and the direct connection with the listeners, but now we can all start when we've had the chance to properly wake up.”

Stuart Maconie says: “As one of the world’s leading influencers and self-help gurus, I tell my many, many followers that change is to be embraced. And this is certainly one change that I can get my arms around. An extra hour in bed and a more relaxed start will make me even more energised and excited about starting your Saturday and Sunday with 6 Music Weekend Breakfast. But don’t worry, there’ll be just as many of the thought-provoking items and high-octane entertainment you’ve grown used to. You just won’t have to get up quite so early to enjoy it.”

Samantha Moy, Head of 6 Music, says: “Iggy Pop. A true icon - and one that we are honoured to say is also a beloved 6 Music presenter. He will be bringing his Iggy Confidential show to Sunday afternoons - the perfect way to shake off those weekend blues. I’m very happy to give Mark and Stuart the lie-in they deserve, so we can all expect an even livelier Radcliffe & Maconie show from 8am on Saturday and Sunday mornings. And I’m very pleased to say that Amy Lamé will now present two shows on 6 Music, with her Early Weekend Breakfast show on Saturday and Sundays from 6am.”

Plans for the new Friday 7pm - 9pm show, which will contribute to the BBC’s Across the UK plans, will be announced in due course.

6 Music will be broadcasting a range of specials in the coming weeks.

Since Wednesday 7th July (12am-1am), the current 6 Music Artist in Residence is indie-pop singer-songwriter Beabadoobee who, with 1.1m Instagram followers, received an NME Radar Award in 2020 and was nominated as a Rising Star for the Brit Awards in 2020. The next 6 Music Artist In Residence will be Wolf Alice, launching on 18 August (12am–1am) for six weeks.

Over their six-week residency, they’ll be taking listeners on a weekly journey in their musical soul, with each programme based around a different theme or mood. From their debut album My Love Is Cool, the 2014 single Moaning Lisa Smile reached the Top 10 of the US Billboard’s Alternative Songs chart in August 2015, and was later nominated for the 2016 Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance. Their second studio album, Visions Of A Life, won them the 2018 Mercury Prize.

Wolf Alice says: “We are delighted to be picking some tunes for BBC Radio 6 Music. The four of us will be taking turns in hosting individual themed playlists for you to enjoy. Tune in!”

On Saturdays in August, 6 Music’s All Day Rave returns, where the station will celebrate global club culture through the decades, from Huey Morgan at 10am, finishing at midnight with The Blessed Madonna. Each week, an iconic club from the featured decade will be in the spotlight. The Blessed Madonna’s show will include interviews with club promoters, residents, faces from the scene as well as a guest mix at the end of each show.

Saturday 7 August’s All Day Rave takes us Back to the 80s. In The Blessed Madonna’s show, 6 Music will shine a light on Medusa's in Chicago. The symbolic dance venue and art space was created by its flamboyant owner Dave Shelton, who cut his teeth hosting parties at the Warehouse, with the club considered to be the birthplace of house music. He opened the alternative club Medusa’s in 1983, providing a haven and melting pot for creative teenagers and young people who labelled themselves as ‘misfits’. The club continued to fly the flag for house music and was the first place where Lil Louis’ played his seminal track French Kiss.

Saturday 14 August’s All Day Rave takes us Back to the 90s. The legendary German club Tresor was the first club to open in East Berlin in 1991 in the basement vaults under a former department store, situated directly in between the two walls of the reunited city. The club became a melting pot of creativity for Berlin’s youth culture movement, gaining notoriety for playing hard techno, industrial and acid music.

Saturday 21 August’s All Day Rave transports us Back to the 00s, when we’ll celebrating Pikes, Ibiza’s legendary party hotel and club which is steeped in rock ’n’ roll history. The White Isle’s hotspot embodies the authentic and carefree spirit of the island, with a hedonistic reputation encouraged by its former owner Tony Pike. The club was graced by Freddie Mercury and Grace Jones in its heyday, and most memorably was the venue of Wham’s Club Tropicana video.

The Blessed Madonna says: “Pikes is a living witness to the freedom and creativity of Ibiza’s past. Long after the polished and manicured VIP rooms and bottle service have gone, Pikes will tell the story of a special island where anything is possible and where one outlaw named Tony Pike lived enough lives for ten mere mortals.

“Tresor is many things, but most importantly it is a love story about techno and how two cities came together to define the future of dance. From Detroit to Berlin with love."

Hmm... I hope Craig Charles is actually capable of 'presenting an eclectic range of music'. I can't really see him playing a Peel session with Nirvana from the 90s etc. His show is pretty straight soul and funk. Happy to be surprised though.

Wonder where Keaveny's off to.

Hmm... I hope Craig Charles is actually capable of 'presenting an eclectic range of music'. I can't really see him playing a Peel session with Nirvana from the 90s etc. His show is pretty straight soul and funk. Happy to be surprised though.

Wonder where Keaveny's off to.
Craig Charles was pretty good when he did an afternoon shift early during Covid.

The 5 o'clock ish "Trunk of Punk" was the highlight of my working from home day for a long time. Yes, it was a surprise to me too.

Poor Chris Hawkins. He's been doing that Early Breakfast each weekday (5am - 7.30am) slot since R6 started in 2002, hasn't he? It used to be pretty dire to wake up to his show when I was commuting. I switched to 5 Live eventually.
People do report that he's a lovely bloke and the show has it's followers, but seriously, if he wasn't dire, he'd have been given something later by now.

Craig Charles was pretty good when he did an afternoon shift early during Covid.

The 5 o'clock ish "Trunk of Punk" was the highlight of my working from home day for a long time. Yes, it was a surprise to me too.

Poor Chris Hawkins. He's been doing that Early Breakfast each weekday (5am - 7.30am) slot since R6 started in 2002, hasn't he? It used to be pretty dire to wake up to his show when I was commuting. I switched to 5 Live eventually.
People do report that he's a lovely bloke and the show has it's followers, but seriously, if he wasn't dire, he'd have been given something later by now.

Blimey has he been doing that since launch? I couldn't imagine having to get up in the middle of the night every day for that long. It'd would require some serious sleep pattern discipline and curtail quite a few late night social events I'd have thought. I know the very early starts were a big factor in Keavny quitting the breakfast show.

Back
Top Bottom