Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Radio Caroline @ 60

TBH, I didn't even think about it being political content, it was just different presenters talking about different things that were important to them, during the evening output, it was just a bit of a conversation with the listeners.

There was a big connection with Greenpeace, because there was a bit of a cross over with people working for both, at different times. The Rainbow Warrior ended-up helping with bulk supplies of water and diesel, and whilst they pumped it over, RW crew members would be interviewed on-air.

They were very much part of the 'alternative scene' back in the 70s, some presenters were involved in setting-up the first ever Stonehenge Free Festival, which got free promotion on air, over a number of years.

Although Caroline was off air between 1968 & 73, Ronan O'Rahilly, the station founder, financed the Phun City Free Festival, near Worthing, in 1970.
Thats fascinating, I imagined it as a pop thing rather than counter culture thing, though I appreciate 70s pop crossed into counter culture

Thats fascinating, I imagined it as a pop thing rather than counter culture thing, though I appreciate 70s pop crossed into counter culture

They were top 40 back in the 60s, but returning in the early 70s it was decided a album format was the way to go, having hired out the daytime hours to the Belgium based Radio Atlantis, Caroline initially returned for a short period as Radio Seagull, no doubt aiming it at farmerbarleymow. ;) :D

1729193663679.png

Back in 1970 a company owned by record producer Jimmy Miller and pop manager Tony Secunda had hired airtime from Monaco's Radio Monte Carlo and started broadcasting late night free-form “hippy” programmes across Europe under the name of Radio Geronimo. These programmes were an erratic but interesting mix of rock with some jazz and classical music, presented with a deliberately laid-back and informal style. The project won a loyal audience, estimated as 350,000. Although it made no money, Radio Monte Carlo spotted the potential for a progressive music station and decided to drop Geronimo and replace it with programmes of their own. Geronimo was forced to close, to be replaced by Radio Monte Carlo International.

A few years later some of the former Geronimo staffers, still believing in the concept of free-form album-based radio, linked up with Radio Caroline's founder Ronan O'Rahilly to create Radio Seagull. The first show from the new station began at 8pm on 24th July 1973. After that, regular programmes ran each night from 9pm to 5am (later 6am). Combining the adventurous musical policy of Geronimo with the personality of Caroline gave some fascinating (if occasionally self-indulgent) results.

Radio Geronimo had been very much a part of the counter culture, and involved in the Phun City Free Festival mentioned above, and at 8 minutes into this short video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom