Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

I really am enriched by hearing some cunt do mozart on glasses of water. And sri lankan tunes. And some bollywood tune he found in delhi. This is like all the bits of jools holland that I don't like, distilled

Just wait till Gilles Peterson starts next week. :D There's always radio 1 and 2's for people who want to hear the same records they've heard a 1000 times already...

Fuck me, a bit of world music on 6Music and people are moaning about it :D It's better than half of the unfunny comedians on there over the years playing a few hammered indie tunes inbetween inane chat and going on about their twitter feed!

Well, there was me thinking 6 Music was meant to be very broad in the music it plays... You might as well say they have R1 for dance and R2 for oldies. ;)
That's not exactly true. It's supposed to be eclectic and alternative and offer the kind of music you don't readily hear elsewhere (as well as, sadly, an increasingly amount of pop pap).

Can't say Mozart is fitting that description.

It was better when it was GLR.

A house music producer/DJ playing a Mozart rendition next to some world music, a bit of jazz-funk and a balearic chill-out classic, and that's not eclectic and alternative? When Jarvis or Maconie does something like this its rightly celebrated as precisely what 6Music is about :D

What the fuck is this! I turned into the huey show and I'm getting some spinal tap-esque free form jazz. Not really what I was after

When Jarvis or Maconie does something like this its rightly celebrated as precisely what 6Music is about :D
Pretty much what I was going to say. The shows most often praised are generally those where the presenters are allowed to play whatever they want, and this is often stated as the explicit reason why the shows are so good. You can't really then complain when they don't play stuff you like. Otherwise it's just playlisting by another name.

I know that now, I was just surprised by all the slap bass on the track that was playing when I turned it on. It's getting better now

I think Cerys witters incoherently, but she always has. Felix from BJ was so dull he's put me off Basement Jaxx for life. Huey is an excellent broadcaster. It's almost like he knows people want to hear music rather than a DJ talk. I don't want to like Jarvis' show, but it works. In fact his reading from the Moomins from a week ago has been on mymind ever since I heard it..

Pretty much what I was going to say. The shows most often praised are generally those where the presenters are allowed to play whatever they want, and this is often stated as the explicit reason why the shows are so good. You can't really then complain when they don't play stuff you like. Otherwise it's just playlisting by another name.
Yep it's like when Peel played stuff - you'd get a whole load of tracks that you thought we're drek but you'd also found some great new stuff and have your eyes opened to new avenues.

That woman who has been on instead of Laverne is exactly the same. Slightly different voice, same inane shite.

Yeh, urban hymns is undeniably a brilliant record. Tho I did raise an eyebrow as they announced it was album of the day just after a sting announcing that April is 'dance music month on 6'.

That woman who has been on instead of Laverne is exactly the same. Slightly different voice, same inane shite.

thats Nemone. She was shit on radio 1 and now she is shit on 6music.

I turned the radio on and the first words out of my mouth were 'oh fuck off Nemone'

I once had to drag Lauren Laverne out of the road one reading festival back in the nineties while she sat there oblivious to danger (pissed) and throwing things out of her handbag.

I know this is an old post. However if it was the Stone Roses year that was the year I was chatting to her with Paul Gallagher and thought she fancied me.

thats Nemone. She was shit on radio 1 and now she is shit on 6music.

I turned the radio on and the first words out of my mouth were 'oh fuck off Nemone'

She has an annoying voice but plays some decent tunes. She does seem to like her dance music. :D

She's less annoying on 6 than she was on 1, proof perhaps that R1 presenters get poked with a big stick to make them more annoying.

He knows his stuff. Got no problems with lamacq. He plays good tunes, talks about good tunes and is generally a decent dude. Not sure why anyone would have a beef with him.

Agree completely. I was on a panel with him at 'In the City' in 1992 and he bought me lunch afterwards. He loves music full stop. He was on radio 1 with Jo Whiley back then on the Evening Session and it always felt like she held him back somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom