Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ken Bruce leaving BBC radio 2

31 years! I've never even heard of him before this today I'm constantly shocked that anyone under 80 listens to R2. I can't even begin to imagine how awful Greatest Hits Radio is.

TBF I think the station has tried to change its image to a more "youthful" station by recycling radio 1 DJs from the not so distant past. I think a lot of mainstream people skip to radio 2 once they decide they're too old for radio 1. I know people in their early 30s who might listen to it.

Out here in the provinces we do get R1, 3 and 4 you know. But I refuse to listen to R4 these days as well now, because.... cunts
oh yeah i know you get it, thats what i mean, when your only choice is BBC radio national (1-4) plus BBC regional + a few commercial stations, and its 10.30 am then Ken Bruce is literally the only place to be

lively thread :D

TBF I think the station has tried to change its image to a more "youthful" station by recycling radio 1 DJs from the not so distant past. I think a lot of mainstream people skip to radio 2 once they decide they're too old for radio 1.
I'm aware Steve Wright is a R2 DJ, but I hated him on R1, so it's never drawn me to consider R2.

I don't think I've listened to R1 for years either though. The only BBC FM thing I'd bother with is 3 I think

oh yeah i know you get it, thats what i mean, when your only choice is BBC radio national (1-4) plus BBC regional + a few commercial stations, and its 10.30 am then Ken Bruce is literally the only place to be
I think I'd rather hum donk classics to myself frankly. Even the sound of traffic has got to be a bit more varied that R2.

I met him when he was still a Monsignor and headed up CND. He seemed like a decent chap.

And his replacement. Vernon Kaye.

Radio 2 is basically what Radio 1 was like 20 years ago now.

Thing is your don't really pick the records in this job you just have to be a good host and have a good voice. That's what made Ken such top league, the voice and manner. Vernon Kaye is third division by comparison

Thing is your don't really pick the records in this job you just have to be a good host and have a good voice. That's what made Ken such top league, the voice and manner. Vernon Kaye is third division by comparison

I mean I don't disagree with this at all. Though Ken Bruce was never for me. He was someone your nan liked. But he was undoubtedly good at being more than just someone who played records. And I agree Vernon Kaye is third division, he is definitely not for me. I think all the good personality DJs have just gone elsewhere now. Virgin, or Absolute or 6 Music. Radio 2 have bland DJs and play bland music by comparison.

. Though Ken Bruce was never for me.
Ken is for us all ;)

Thinking about it my favourite radio 2 (style) djs are comedians .Liz Tarbuck, Paul OGrady, Alan Partridge, Rob Brydon doing his Ken Bruce impression.. someone needs to get Bill Bailey on the radio

Ken is for us all ;)

Thinking about it my favourite radio 2 (style) djs are comedians .Liz Tarbuck, Paul OGrady, Alan Partridge, Rob Brydon doing his Ken Bruce impression.. someone needs to get Bill Bailey on the radio

Yeah I always warm to DJs who were naturally funny, or just have a good wit. I suspect most people do too. Kevin Greening was one of the best for this back in the 90s. Steve Wright too in his day.

Iirc, Radio One lost a lot of listeners after the likes of Simon Bates and other "top" DJs were pushed out by Matthew Bannister.

It's a generational thing.

TBF that was way before the internet and DAB and on the cusp of major new breakthrough's in dance, hip hop, and guitar music at a time when young people still listened to radio and watched telly en masse.

These are totally different times and I'm not sure they'll claw back the audience quite as easily now.

TBF that was way before the internet and DAB and on the cusp of major new breakthrough's in dance, hip hop, and guitar music at a time when young people still listened to radio and watched telly en masse.

These are totally different times and I'm not sure they'll claw back the audience quite as easily now.
Quite possibly. Been an age since listened to One or Two.

Back
Top Bottom