Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC6 Radio - comment, discussion and moans

Really enjoyed the interview with Paul Rhys just now. What a sound bloke. And credit to Craig Charles for letting him tell his story.

I might have to stop listening to 6 for a while, now that Gossip have reformed.
they were never given this relentless airplay when they were around for the first time. noone cared or even noticed when they broke up.

why has someone at the station decided that them reforming is such a big deal? just quid-pro-quo for headlining the festival Friday on a reduced fee maybe.

I enjoyed the stories today but I did realise as much as I like indie rock I can't do 5 hours in a row.

Some Cobain day today. Lots of how he was a great champion of women on bands. Not a single Hole track. Could you imagine a similar thing about Courtney Love even 30 minutes in length where they didn't play the husband?
no need to imagine. next friday 12/04 is Courtney Love Forever day. we could start a sweepstake on how many Nirvana tracks get played.

did I imagine it or at one point did Huey (on Charle's show) say he was playing Hole up next then immediately correct himself. at the time I assumed it was a mixup between each show's playlists but then you're right none of the following shows did include Hole.

Or flip it… Would they have a Courtney Love day if she hadn’t been the wife of Kurt Cobain? I’m not convinced Hole/Love were really as loved or influential at the time or since.

Ah, noted musician Simon Reeve? /sarcastic

I mean he was just on Laura Kuennsberg which kind of made a tiny semblance of sense as he has visited Gaza etc and it's a political show. But 6 Music? What's his take on music in Antarctica then?
He's big into world music, tbf, Songlines had guest curators of compilation CDs some years ago and he was one of them

no need to imagine. next friday 12/04 is Courtney Love Forever day. we could start a sweepstake on how many Nirvana tracks get played.
I didn't know that. Changes things a bit if they have a (w)hole day coming up. We'll see how much Nirvana we get though.
A hole track did get played during the indie forever slot last night but that was after Kurt Cobain forever finished.

Or flip it… Would they have a Courtney Love day if she hadn’t been the wife of Kurt Cobain? I’m not convinced Hole/Love were really as loved or influential at the time or since.
No, probably not. Most people have no taste.

Hole were a Babes in Toyland rip-off IMO.

'Fascinating' segment on now about mice followed by another about slopes (hills, not the racist term)

on a station called 6 MUSIC

They're finally playing an actual song.

I don't think just being Cobain's wife is enough. Like or loath her, Courtney Love is charismatic and a great front person.

Also Hole had a run of decent hits from the mid to late 90s. Malibu, and Celebrity Skin in particular are indie-disco and alternative radio staples. I know Corgan had a lot to do with the songwriting but the lyrics are all hers and the authenticity in her vocals is clear. I saw them play Reading Festival in '95, and Glastonbury in '99 and they were nothing short of excellent both times. Without her they wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

I don't think just being Cobain's wife is enough. Like or loath her, Courtney Love is charismatic and a great front person.

Also Hole had a run of decent hits from the mid to late 90s. Malibu, and Celebrity Skin in particular are indie-disco and alternative radio staples. I know Corgan had a lot to do with the songwriting but the lyrics are all hers and the authenticity in her vocals is clear. I saw them play Reading Festival in '95, and Glastonbury in '99 and they were nothing short of excellent both times. Without her they wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.
I think Eric is underrated but yes...

I had the radio on last night and they had an hour or so of interviews with her. Some old some new. She hardly spoke about Kurt in the ones I heard. A lot more to her life and music than that short period.

sure, but wasn't suggesting she wasn't good or that Hole had a few hits. but whether that alone would have merited her a whole day on 6 Music. does Billy Corgan have a day? point being, it has worked both ways for Courtney Love and Hole.

sure, but wasn't suggesting she wasn't good or that Hole had a few hits. but whether that alone would have merited her a whole day on 6 Music. does Billy Corgan have a day? point being, it has worked both ways for Courtney Love and Hole.

Well, I'm not sure anyone merits a whole day tbh. It seems a bit excessive. Hole had two really good albums in the 90s but have largely been absent for the last two decades.

Even they went all David Bowie for what seemed like days a couple of years ago it got tedious AF.

Well, I'm not sure anyone merits a whole day tbh. It seems a bit excessive. Hole had two really good albums in the 90s but have largely been absent for the last two decades.

Even they went all David Bowie for what seemed like days a couple of years ago it got tedious AF.
The Bowie worships still going on. Scarcely a show goes by without a song or an inane anecdote from someone. I often turn it off if his name is mentioned. Nothing good comes of it.

Back
Top Bottom